Agnostic.com

34 4

Possibly against my own better judgement, I'm going to broach a subject here that I've avoided bringing up elsewhere.

I consider myself very open-minded and as supportive of LGBTQ communities and issues as a straight middle-aged white guy can possibly be.

(and already it sounds like I'm starting off with a "some of my best friends are ____" defense. yuck.)

I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings or start any flame wars. I apologize in advance if that inadvertently happens.

The issue I'm wondering about is transgender people on dating sites. There it is.

Is it necessary, appropriate, or preferred for a transgender person to identify as such in their dating profile? Is it misleading, deceitful, or otherwise "wrong" if they don't?

Is it incumbent on the interested party to inquire about this at some point in an online conversation? Or on the other person to disclose?

If you yourself were asked by someone online to identify your "gender situation" (and honestly, I have NO idea how such a question would be posed), would you be offended?

And am I just a complete asshole for even wondering about any of this?

wilsonjoe 5 Mar 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

34 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am as liberal and open minded as they come. I don't believe in discriminating against anyone. I do require honesty however. I like women and if a person was born male and is now a transgender female, that fact should disclosed upfront. I will politely say that I am looking for something else in a relationship. Honesty is key, because I make it clear that I am interested in a woman and I am a straight male. That fact should be divulged at the beginning. In the words of Popeye "I am what I am" and you are who you are and I respect that. Just be honest and respectful.

My preference is to disclose from the outset. Whether that's right for other people is another matter. I declare myself as male (which is anatomically correct, and likely to stay that way) on all dating profiles. I know others, even though they're part time, who go on dating sites as women and don't mention that they're trans at all. Mine isn't the most successful dating strategy: date gay guys and most run a mile when they get a whiff of the dresses. Try to date bi/trans-attracted guys, and it's exactly the same as the old "fat girls are like mopeds" saying ("great fun to ride - just don't let your mates see you." ) Suddenly a 'date', is a trip to McDonalds. Drive-thru window. After dark.

For those with passing privilege, stealth must be very tempting. That's where you deny your gender history and basically stop telling anyone you're trans. People who do it often have to cut all family ties, since as long as you have links to your past life, there's the possibility of being outed. This also means that if you confide in a partner, at any point, and that relationship turns sour, they're in a position to out you and have you start all over again. And this leads to situations (and I've seen examples) where a stealth post-op trans woman ends up married to a man, who's pushing her towards fertility treatment because they've had no luck starting a family. Something which he is very keen to do.

So where's the middle ground? In all honesty, as long as men still have hang-ups about dating trans women (and whether or not it makes them gay) I reckon it's sometime before the first kiss, and certainly some time before sex happens for the first time. Otherwise you fall into 'trap' territory: the accusation that (passable) trans women like to 'trick' straight men into bed. And yes, I've encountered one or two who like to do exactly that, and think it's funny. Most things that are possible are provable by example. But at the same time, if you're living in stealth, there is no right time to tell a partner unless you're willing to risk exposure.

I appreciate your candid (and funny) reply. Hopefully yours is the prevalent attitude. 🙂

Damn that is complicated. Like dating isn't hard enough. ❤

It kinda sounds to me like you're overly concerned about this -- maybe because the transgender community is finally able to come out of the closet?

In any case, as a straight woman (if that matters) who has gay friends and family members (if that matters), I do think it's honorable to identify your sexual orientation before things get...tricky. 🙂

Overly concerned? Nope. Gay friends and family members here, too, since you brought it up. And sexual orientation wasn't part of the question.

I'll be straightforward (no pun intended): I've seen profiles (here and elsewhere) that make no mention of gender status, yet the pics tell a different story. Slam me for judging a book by its cover, but the cover is often all one gets online, at least at first.

Do I think people should freely and publicly identify as the gender with which they align and not be persecuted for it? Absolutely. Have I ever flirted with someone (female, male, cis, trans) I had no intention of being intimate with? Sure. Does it matter to me if the person I want to pursue a relationship with has or had a penis? Yes. Yes it does.

If that makes me unenlightened, narrow-minded, or overly concerned, well, I suppose I am. But I doubt I'm alone.

@batscradle You are not alone my friend.

i am 'just' a 100% straight woman, pondering why this forum, as an open-minded enclave within a repressed society, should have taboos surrounding sexuality at all. we can relax here as far as i am concerned. why would i hide the fact that as a young woman i used to earn my first big journey as a sex worker? i wouldn't want to get cosy with anyone who can't handle the truth.

I thoroughly agree with your sentiments walklightly.. I have always wondered why anything related to sex is relegated to toilet walls, snide comments by deluded males,, and is the main topic of interest in news headlines, the higher the social standing of the person being pilloried the more the public wallow in it. I suspect that religion has taken on itself to highlight sexuality in it's sorry list of sins. Your honesty is a refreshing change from the norm, and it's nobodies business but your own as to how you or anybody ells conduct
yourselves. Will we ever grow up ? I doubt it.

thank you, @madmac, for your reply. i keep imagining a society that agrees on a taboo around religion, whereby god-believers piously keep their delusions a secret, the way people now do when it comes to sexuality. that would be a relief!

For me, I always state upfront and publicly that I'm transgender.That being said, transpeople are under no obligation to state their previous gender assignment at birth. On my I.D it shows, a big F for my gender marker...when I finish my transition, I will no longer self Identify as transgender..it will be as the person I am..a bisexual Woman.

What if any obligation to disclose do you feel towards people you might date?

@CallMeDave at what point?

@Charlene precisely

@CallMeDave as I stated, once my transition is completed I will only identify as a woman, not transgender..

I'd say I wouldnt apologize and feel guilty for asking questions like this. I think its perfectly normal, and while we should always be mindful of hurting other peoples feelings I think we shouldn't apologize for just trying to figure things out.

I would say its up to the person posting the ad to reveal any important self details. That's not just limited to trans folks. I mean all dating sites ask if you're male/female and if you're interested in men or women. I think its all about adding transparency. While I wouldn't include hiding this information as deceitful, I would say its not transparent, which is something I think we need to be in dating.

So yeah the upshot is, don't feel so afraid of backlack to ask things that are on your mind so long as its worded with other peoples interests in mind. And I think it's helpful for people to identify their own gender and preferences just because..some people prefer certain other people and hiding anything isn't going to make things better. I wouldn't say failing to do so is a moral failing, or anything, but its important to weed people out who wouldn't be interested in you up front, to avoid drama later

Well-stated, my thoughts exactly.

I don't think you're an asshole. It's a valid question. And how are we to know things if we don't ask? Even from my own gay perspective I have had similar queries of my trans friends. I look forward to reading the responses you get from this post.

I appreciate when Trans people identify as such in their profiles. That tells me we can talk openly and honestly.

I identify as straight because I prefer women, however I am not closed to having an intimate (honest, open talking and sharing) relationship with someone just because they don't have a vagina.

I've made some amazing friends who are various gender identities. Sometimes those relationships venture into the physical, which I love because when two people are very close and care for each other very deeply, they naturally enjoy making one another happy. I have, or have had, physical relationships with some wonderful people of both "traditional" genders, as well as other gender identities. What matters to me is what's in their heart.

If someone is looking for a casual hook up, it may be something to state early on to keep themselves safe from a potentially dangerous situation, but when the focus is on building an actual relationship with someone, the person within is what matters, not the sex they were born as, only the gender they now identify with.

I don't find it deceitful, no. If I were talking to an individual who uses she/her pronouns, she's female or possibly gender fluid to me, regardless of whether she's cis or undergoing a transition or even if she's opted out of transitioning entirely. It's up to them to trust enough to share that if they feel it's relevant and it's not dishonest to get to know someone before divulging such a personal bit of information.

I think you really need to frame it in terms of the understandings of gender, sex and sexuality of both parties. If the heterosexual male you're having sex with thinks you're cisgender female and you're not, and as a result feels they've been tricked into a homosexual act (whether you agree with that or not) then you have a problem.

We have a number of cases of 'gender fraud' being prosecuted in UK law. Invariably someone anatomically female 'tricking' someone else who's female into believing that they're male. It typically involves an inexperienced other party, and stories about why the lights always have to be out, and there's never any penile penetration. The people who do this end up in prison for it. Sometimes for quite a long time, if there's penetration (with fingers or sex toys) involved.

In an unrelated case, I know of at least one gay male going to prison for performing oral sex on a sleeping heterosexual friend.

It's the disregard for the other person's sexual orientation that's the big deal here. We're not all bi/pan. Some of us are genuinely homosexual or heterosexual. Those penises and vaginas matter, and for some, whether they're natural or surgically created still matters, too. When you make those people go against their own sexuality, by withholding pertinent information about your sex/gender history, they have a case for arguing that you deceived them into having sex that they wouldn't have agreed to, had they been aware of the facts. And that can be a criminal act.

It should never be a proiblem being honest as that is the bases of a relashionship.

Are you an asshole? No, I don't think so. As long as you can be mature and not cause a scene or embarrass yourself or anyone else.
Speaking for myself (the only qualification I have):
1.I believe that if I were looking on a traditionaly straight site it is proper that she would tell me soon after the first date if we hit it off. If she's honest maybe we can give it a shot. The burden's on her.
2.If the site is other than the traditional straight site then I would go in assuming a trans woman if her profile I.d.'s her as female and she's looking for a male. The burden's on me.
If it was situation 1 and she didn't tell me it will be a major no-no as I will feel she is being decietful and thus can not be trusted.
If sit. 2 and she didn't tell, well, I wasn't looking on a straight website to begin with was I?
If you think I am wrong please respond but don't attack.

I hear you, and your approach seems fair (if a bit complex). Just don't know how realistic it would be in practice, since I'm not sure what differentiates a dating site as "traditionally straight". Tinder, OKC, POF, et al all cater to straights as well as "men seeking men" and "women seeking women". In fact, if a dating site billed itself as "for straight people", I wouldn't join, expecting it to be populated by bigots.

@batscradle I was trying to refer to dating sites that are advertised featuring "men seeking women" vs "men seeking men". It doesn't seem I did a very good job though.
I agree with your statement about site billing itself as "for straight people".
I have no experience in this and was basing my post on what I would expect from someone who was trans. Maybe my expectations are excessive or wrong for others but they work for me.
And yes, I do still have some hangups (childhood) and I'll own that. The hate I feel is for certain individuals not any certain group(s) of people.

No worries @mactavish, you make fine sense 🙂

It's only fair to be open and honest about who you are at the onset. If you start out lying to me then how can I trust you.

You're not an asshat for asking a simple question. I don't think it's required or that anyone is "hiding" anything. It's personalized. One of the things I love about this site. One can disclose or chose not to disclose. I personally would not be offended should someone ask my gender identity. If someone wants to know, ask. It's called conversing. Easy peasy 😉

I believe that if we all start off by treating everyone with the same dignity, care and honesty as human beings, that questions about our beliefs, gender, sexual orientation, etc become the natural discourse in conversation when we meet someone. It is up to an individual if they feel comfortable to reveal all of the personal information when they are ready. All of that becomes a part of the coversation when we trust a friend or companion.

You are not an asshole for asking an honest question . The way society is at the moment made you add all the other bits in case of any recrimination that is the annoying part .

Easy question to answer, the answer is Yes it is important. The explanation to why I say yes is, its just as important to me to let everyone else know Im a guy looking for a woman for a relationship. The last thing I would like to hear is the door bell ring and its Bob waiting ti go out to dinner (not going to happen). I can logically assume there would be straight, bi and trans that would like to meet a trans person, I personally think the sexuality spectrum has almost no bounds in relation to who is who and who likes who, the combinations would be hard to fathom. I would be putting my hand up if I was trans and letting everyone know it, especially using this dating app, its illogical and unreasonable to assume there would be any haters here.

Hope this helps 🙂

I can understand your confusion. I have interacted with more transgender people over the past 20 years than I would have expected. My first confusion was how to treat them, I found it hard if I knew them as one gender, then they changed. It was explained that you treat someone as they present themselves, so, ok, that was easy. Re dating sites, I prefer that someone puts if they are transgender.

I don't think you're an asshole for wondering. I doubt I'd be offended if I were asked. It's a reasonable question, and anyone who might be interested in me would have a right to know that. I also think if I were transgendered, it would be incumbent on me to disclose that information to someone I had a romantic/sexual interest in, very early on. If I'm just going to be friends with someone, it doesn't matter to me. If they want to tell me, fine. If they don't want to tell me, that's okay, too. It's likely I'd figure it out and ask them though. That's just my two cents.

I agree with you but then I am straight and not looking for a partner. I think any falsifying of personal information in a public sphere for self-gain is pitiful falsehood and sort of entrapment.
The transgender community need to deal with this one I should imagine.

I think it is a very valid question, but I also think that engaging in some real honest conversations all would, I hope, reveal it self? It will be interesting to see other comments on this.

Getting to know a person as a person and THEN deciding whether there is an attration is the simplest way for me. It also takes an open mind. If a person is offended about a simple question, are they worth dating?

Goat Level 5 Mar 9, 2018

Many people have concerns about their cultural image, but LBGT have people who fear and hate them. They have difficulties and concerns most of us cannot imagine. A transgender person does not undergo the operation to have more fun, they do it because they feel wrong about their body, and want to get right with their psyche. Unfortunately for them, a trangender (man to woman) still has the body of a man, with wide sholders, an adams apple, muscular, and generally taller. Similarly, a transgender (woman to man) has differences from non-trans men. It is difficult for them to hide; it seems unlikely a person would meet and date a transgener without knowing, whether or not they say anything about it. If they can pass undetected, how would their being trans matter? Of course, one cannot know on a site such as this one, who is transgender unless they say, and I think they should be allowed to be discrete. How is it going to hurt anyone?

I do not think it is being unreasonable to accept transgender people to honest about it on dating profiles. Even if it is not something mentioned on their profile, you would hope (as I am sure that most, if not all are) they would be upfront about it, when it came to actually going on dates. Also, no one should ever feel like an bad person just for asking an open question without bias

I wear my trans status loud and proud. I wouldn't want to waste time with someone who had no interest in getting to know me because of my gender.

Whatever Ones sexual orientation may be should be divulged...Honesty is always the best policy.

No you are not that batscradle ! In establishing a new relationship, it is vital to put all your cards on the table, and be honest about yourself. It will stop any conflict that could arise at a later date.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:34424
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.