Agnostic.com

26 8

Moment of Silence or Saying Grace

I work at a place that is highly diverse with over 700 employees. There is often occassion or event where someone "says grace" and/or asks for a oment of silence. And sometimes, they take forever to "say grace!" I usually keep my eyes open and wait it out, knowing that if anyone sees me, they know that I know THEY were doing the same! So... how do you handle it??

bonfirefromtx 5 Mar 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Pretty much the same as what you do. I do smile and acknowlege those that are doing the same.

I am ok with a moment of silence that gives people that need it a chance to do their thing. However a forced public prayer is obnoxious and rude.

I can handle moments of silence but for prayers I probably keep my eyes wide open unless I'm afraid of what people might think. I usually only have to deal with this during the holidays with religious family members. Since it is their house, I let them say their religious jargon. I sit quietly but at the same table but do not participate. After they are done they let me say my own thing. As one might expect, I make no references to god or the supernatural. I usually say what I'm thankful for just like Thanksgiving.

I don't make a big deal about it.....usually play Depeche Mode's "Enjoy the silence" in my head while the grace bullshit is going on.....keeps me from rolling my eyes and snickering!

Depeche Mode Love em

I fidget or find someone else looking around to roll my eyes at with a shrug and a smile. It lets me know someone I can talk to when I get bored.

That's actually a really good idea.

We don't say grace at my house. But sometimes when my high school son brings a girl home for dinner I will ask her if she would lead us in a prayer of thanksging... Just to see how she handles it. LOL. I'm such a jerk.

It's their thing, not mine. I don't bow my head or close my eyes. Amen is not in my vocabulary. The extent of my patience is that I will wait until they are done with their nonsense to chow down.

I used to go on trips with a youth group whenever we sat for food someone would ask if we could say grace everyone then proceded to shout the word grace and then start food . It made us giggle

Wait it out. Look around the room. Try not to roll my eyes (not always successful).

If I know one's going to come up, I'll be prepared with a set of headphones to drown out the silence or worse, the delusions that come out whilst saying grace.

My ex-in-laws who were devout Congregationists did it even though two daughter-in-laws were Jewish. Kinda sat there and said nothing during Christmas and Easter family dinners. My last enployer was a Christian theology company owned by Berkshire Hathaway and during sales training in Texas I tried to keep my mouth shut.

Yep; head up, eyes open and silent until everybody's done.

I show respectful silence.

I'm not confronted with it but depending on the company i.e. friends I may wait it out, but if somebody I didn't know just decided to impose grace I would ignore them.

The same way. I'm respectful of them whether they show me the same courtesy or not.

Look at it the right way... you will have opportunity to find out others in your wavelenght, a look and a smile during grace.... I don't do coworkers but when it happened... that is how it started.

I once was that person who took part in the 'thanks' at meal times. But, then i felt that i had become one with 'the whole,' and was in a state of thankfullness from that time on! After that it made no sense to me. Plus, I believe it is said, as some kind of 'show'...proof to others that 'they' love the Lord, or that they are 'righteous' people, maybe above reproach!?

I grew up in a large family with 6 kids. We were nto allowed to start eatign until the good was blessed (Grace was said), and usually hte food was mostly cold by the time thyey got everyoen seated. I hated it. I typically avoid any situation that requires a "grace" or moment of silence. I feeel they are wastign my time.

I just walk away before it starts

I've always felt uncomfortable with it. I will fidget my feet and look down at my shoes! lol

I never have too and I don't understand being silent for humans that are dead. its not like there going to know and it doesnt make any differance to how I feel about them. a wedding is like a funeral but without the corps.

I’m in the Air Force and we open most ceremonies with an invocation. I respectfully stand with my hands behind my back and look forward, or fiddle with my camera if I’m the photographer. But there are many others that do the same.

Exactly what you do.

Often the same, but I think sometimes the situation calls for more respect, like at a friend's funeral. I don't really want to stand out to the family and make the situation about me. But if it's just bring imposed on my in a common situation, I feel no obligation to play along.

JeffB Level 6 Mar 9, 2018

Same as you 🙂

velk Level 4 Mar 9, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:34602
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.