Agnostic.com

33 4

You’re as young as you feel? True or false?

EmeraldJewel 7 Mar 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

False. Everyone's bodies are different, and they age and break down at different rates. Sure, mentality does have a part to play in how one responds to their own aging, but when your body starts betraying you, and you can't do the things you used to, it can certainly affect your psyche. No matter how healthy your attitude is.

I was thinking about this last summer when I was throwing a football around with my nephew and playing slip and slide beer games. I was 38 then. I'm 39 now. My nephew and I were always athletic. I told him one day that it's going to really suck when we can't do stuff like that anymore. He's about 27. My sports days will be behind me mostly in maybe 5-10 years probably. I can still catch, hit, and throw a baseball, and football, very well right now. I despise the day I see my accuracy and power decrease. I won't be able to do something I love anymore.

@ScienceBiker Dude, I just fell into a chair. At this point in the day, it's gonna take a block and tackle to get my ass out of it! I refuse to judge you.

@Piece2YourPuzzle So, that's when you start coaching! 😉

Most definately having the right mindset helps.

Wait until you are 80 years to make a statement like that.

@jlynn37 Haha! I hope I reach that age..

Very true. And it annoys me when people the same age as me complain that they're old.

True. Ask me again in a couple decades.

Your as young as your joints,arthritis and internal organs. Mine are all in some phase of repair and they still don't work!

Mostly. Age is an attitude and my brain tells me I am still in my twenties. My body, despite the fact most people think I am in my late forties, is now into its sixties and I no longer bounce so well. 😉

False. You are as old as you behave.

Mentally it is usually true. Physically, nto so much.

That all depends on the situation. I am happy sitting in front of the tv and watching cartoons but don't ask me to run

Depending of your age.

False in my opinion. I feel good almost all of the time but my 80 year old body will not allow me to do most of the things I have always enjoyed and would continue to do if I could. Growing old is not the problem, it is the complications that come with it.

False. Age is determined by earth orbits.

It's true to a point, but as others have overwhelmingly pointed out here, you can't avoid the reality of age. I'm 56 and work pretty hard to keep in decent shape, but I've had multiple shoulder surgeries and definitely feel my age at times. I'll feel that way increasingly as my body rebels against my mind. LOL!

False .Your genes have a mind of their own.

To an extent true. I'm 96 then lol

False. If you feel young and are 95, you're still 95 and closer to a natural death than most. I hope I make it to 95.

It probably has quite a bit to do with how active you are at work. I was in construction even in my 60's I still climbed ladders climbed up on large ductwork crawled in manholes. I was able to keep up with kids in their 20's. My father has lung problems at 84 and his doctor says if it wasn't for that he's got the health of someone 60.

You can feel as young as you like.

True. Two weeks from today, I turn 60. I don't look it. I don't act it. I don't feel it. Almost all of my friends are between 30 and 50. Most of the ladies I'm dating are, too. That may have something to do with it.

True. I feel like I'm 20.

Oh yeah it's true..

I consider my age to be 29 and holding, I've been holding for quite a few years now though lol

False. At the mental level there may be some truth to this idea, but when the mind decides to involve the body in whatever fantasy and the body isn't up to it an argument ensues. The mind tells the body that something looks like fun and that it wants to go do that. The body wastes no time in responding, "Screw you. Think I'll get another pillow."

Why not. Imagine measuring our ages in a different way. Not by how long we lived, but by how long we have left. It would make it easier to pair off, fewer widows. Or by how much life we have in us, energy and zest to do things.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:34627
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.