Agnostic.com

46 9

Can an atheist be a hippy?

With the summer of love showing a side of human nature which ( in some regards be considered humanitarian ) with the mind altering substances such as marijuana ( I will not do anything harder than weed and it derivatives ) free love and some of the greatest bands in history had made themselves known ; is it possible for an atheist to be a hippie, I think so ( minus the religious bs ) I even think that an atheist would actually be a better hippy than a believer ( not only from a moral vantage point but also from a humanitarian point as well ).

AJimboShep82 7 May 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

46 comments (26 - 46)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

An atheist whose house smells like Nag Champa incense, and am generally free spirited. I guess I'm a hippy

Why ever not? I'm the right age. Almost 70.

I'm an agnostic hippie. Besides most "hippies" circa "Summer of Love" traded their lava lamp for a suit and tie as soon as the Vietnam War was over.

Of course. He or she can live for today, knowing that there is no afterlife.

Why couldn’t they be? The two are not inclusive of each other.

From my exposure it wasn't religion or politics per say that made me not like hippies.

It was the laziness, lack of responsibility and general always leaving more trash behind than what was there before.

I liken it to the meth gypsies that are the scourge of any city on the east and west coasts.

In the late 60s and early 70s when the Hippie movement was at its height (haight?) I was still a bit too young to be a hippie myself, but all of the elders in my world were certain that hippies were atheists, because hippies were commies and commies were atheists. The Jesus Freaks were not really christians because they looked like hippies and acted like hippies and hippies are commies and commies are atheists. But I knew some hippies and I liked being around them a lot more than I liked being around the catholics and republicans I was mostly forced to be around.

An atheist can be just about anything. But a skeptic would reject such things as crystals having magical powers or karma to name just a few. I guess I am a reluctant hippy. I reject all forms of woo but believe in many things from my hippy youth.

I am a wanna be hippie does that count 😊

I am a hippie atheist

sean Level 3 June 17, 2019

I was.

Well I like to think of myself as a bit of a hippy but I don't believe in homeopathy, tarot cards, reiki or any other supernatural activity. Does that make me a poor sort of hippy?

no

Yup most of us already there

bobwjr Level 10 May 22, 2019

I like to think that as an Atheist we can choose to be what ever we wish since the only restrictions we have to deal with are Ethics, Morals and the Laws of the Land in which we live and the Society of which we are a part of.

And that is why I think that our community would make better hippies than theists ( the side of the hippy that reps spirituality)

@AJimboShep82 Yes but to most 'spiritually' is just another term for being religious but not following the doctrines of Organized Religions whereas Atheists, for the most part, are completely free and happy for NOT having any religious beliefs what-so-ever.

i never associated hippies with religion. The entire concept it new to me.

You could hear some of it in different songs though there were from what I have gathered a bit of thiest messages like the song “ turn turn turn “ by the byrds I still think it a good song regardless. [en.m.wikipedia.org]

Yes i am big on the hippie side that I'm devoting a lot of time to learn about myself through getting high.. i had a lot of opened pores filled with toxic buildup over my lives time..
My last high epiphany made me see myself as a unit of the whole universe's ra's huh particle of mgt body had the most magnificent sexual experience without even touching myself.. i felt as if every cell in my body eas exploding with pleasure seeking connection with every particle exists in our entire universe... i felt love i was a light from the inside reaching out to the outside.. exploding like an amygdala

Neenz Level 7 May 20, 2019

I guess. But, I think we make better Beatniks!

I know at least one who is (not me).

Could you be an asshole?

Because everyone has one!

No kidding!

LOL!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:349762
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.