Agnostic.com

68 8

Religion in a relationship

Can an atheist and a believer have a successful lifelong (spousal) relationship? Trying to figure out if I should try relationships with believers as my dating pool is not very large in rural Nebraska.

• 19 votes
  • 31 votes
  • 51 votes
SeaMeNebraska 4 June 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

68 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It is possible. I work with a man who claims I am disrespectful of religions and he says he can never do that. He also told me recently that catholic was his wife's religion. This is all I know of their relationship except that they are long married over 23 years.

I think a believer and non-believer can have a meaningful relationship if they understand each other and are respectful. Problems come into play when the religious one is crying for you because she wants to save your imaginary soul from going to an imaginary hell and believes all of this because her book and preacher told her about this and the will of an imaginary god. In other words, you have to avoid Evangelicals for a mixed belief relationship to work.

It really depends on whether you can agree to disagree. And in particular, agree to respect each other's (non)belief.

I'm dating someone at the moment. The topic of belief has come up a few times now, and they're very defensive (almost aggressively so) of their belief that while there is no God as such, there is some kind of higher force, consciousness or purpose behind the universe. Whereas I just see it as a whole bunch of random, typically unfair nonsense, that happens because shit does.

The trouble being that while I've done my best to politely respect their belief, they haven't shown the same respect to my non-belief. I get the same "I know I'm right, so you're clearly wrong" that you'd expect from a typical fundamentalist.

There was alcohol involved both times, and we've since (while sober) agreed to put the topic off limits. We'll have to see how that plays out. In all honesty, I can see it being a deal breaker for me if these conversations continue.

I had a 17 year relationship with someone who had spiritual beliefs that I didn't share. The relationship had plenty of issues, but that was never one of them.

It can work, but only if any man in the relationship is the atheist. An atheist woman in a relationship will generally get tossed aside when he figures out he can't use religion to manipulate her. They'll never be happy with a woman who knows her own mind and answers to no one.

@CommonHuman Someone's been in a relationship with a manipulator, I see. I'm sorry.

It's worked for many. Its like any other differences in a relationship. You figure out respectful boundaries and agree to disagree. If you can't do those things, it's probably not going to work out.

I think no. I have been an atheist for a long time. My ex seemed surprised when i refused to raise the children in church. I think if someone is a believer, it's fundamental that they are living now to test their ability to live forever in a different place. As an atheist, I'm trying to make my one shot count.

I suppose it COULD work?? But for me?? I think not.

unlikely

Perhaps, if each is allowed the space and respect to have their own beliefs.

Possible for some but for me, No. I believe a positive relationship should be based on mutual respect and honesty. As an atheist, I can not respect a person who bases their belief system on the dishonest premise that faith (belief without evidence) is a methodology to determine (Truth) things that are testable and demonstrated to be correct with evidence.

My high standards for truth and honesty do not allow me to accept such a person as a significant part of my life.

High potential - The person passively believes in a god, does not reject science, never attends church, never discuss religion, etc.

Low potential - The person believes in a literal Yahweh, denies evolution, believes the Earth is only 6000 years old, opposes gay rights, attends church daily, believes Creationism should be taught in schools, etc.

palex Level 6 June 9, 2019

depends on how devoted they are, is it a huge part of their life? Are they going to insist you go to church?

It might be possible for a life long relationship with a believer. As long there is good communication. Most likely it wouldn't last due to difference in belief systems. I rather marry an fellow Atheist for wouldn't have deal with issue of beliefs. Not to mention more openness in the relationship.

Depends on the religion!

I feel that many of my friends who participate in an organized religious experience have a much more open view than the Fundamentalist you see on television. They accept me and love me as a friend and I return that feeling. I think it would be entirely possible for me to have a more personal love relationship with someone with that point of view.

In other words they are not hypocrits but people who need spirituality yet understand not everyone has those same needs.

My first inkling is NO, an absolute. But, anything with human relations is possible - here would or could be a prime sadistic masochistic relationship.

It could. But it really depends on both the atheist and the believer. The dynamics would vary quite a bit on the people in that relationship. While I voted depends, I generally would say not likely. If this was a relationship that would lead to marriage and children, this would be more complicated.

Perhaps some couples could , just not me.

Possible but depends on how religous

It depends on how much your beliefs are a factor in your life. If a christian is a devout sunday church goer then i think no. But if they are a non practicing believer maybe, especially if you have a-lot of other things in common and a real connection

Couples should discuss what boundaries they have before they get married. For example, My Wife was a believer and she went to church when we got married. But we talked about what we would tell our children, and agreed that I would not be hiding my Atheism from them. If they asked me did I believe in God, even at a young age, I would tell them I did not. We agreed on this before we got married. Now she is an Atheist. But I never tried to convert her. She came to that view by herself

The other individual would have to have an open mind and same for you in order to communicate about religion. Letting them be who they are without trying to push to believe what the other believes.

Kris82 Level 2 June 12, 2019

Answered No, but that is just my experience, it is my feeling that my Atheism directly resulted in one long term relationship ending, I would not have said my ex was that religious, never attended church, however my atheism was brought up several times while she was telling me we were no longer a couple....
I was aware of her religion and I was never consciously derisive towards religion around her that I was aware of but my "lack of interest in her faith" was a real sore spot apparently

I think it's possible but highly unlikely. It might work if you avoid discussing religion.

My experience is that it works if you DO discuss religion. And best do it before you get married

I suppose it would depend upon the level of their belief and how much priority they attached to being with a spouse in an afterlife. Most of the religious people I know would make the assumption that I'm going to hell, and would either consider a failure on their part if they could not convert me (badger me to death) or not love me enough to care if I was threatening my own "immortal soul."

Deb57 Level 8 June 11, 2019

My best relationship to date was with a believer. He did not attemd church or pray or talk about it.

They became a "spousal" relationship because they obviously love eachother...So if you meet a religious person who's really a winner - and he thinks he same of you - then you need to have a serious conversation together about compromise.

It really depends on the flexibility of the people involved. If both are entrenched, forget it. But if both are flexible, then perhaps.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:358467
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.