Agnostic.com

68 8

Religion in a relationship

Can an atheist and a believer have a successful lifelong (spousal) relationship? Trying to figure out if I should try relationships with believers as my dating pool is not very large in rural Nebraska.

• 19 votes
  • 31 votes
  • 51 votes
SeaMeNebraska 4 June 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

68 comments (51 - 68)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think it could work as long as both people are and remain open minded.

Kynlei Level 8 June 10, 2019

I picked depends but I lean toward no in my personal life. Are you planning on having children. What will you teach them? Will that matter to you then?

MsAl Level 8 June 10, 2019

I voted yes because my wife was a christian and her faith became stronger towards the end of her life. I'm not saying that it would work for all people. I think that for many people it simply would not work. We respected each others point of view I think, because at the beginning of our marriage we were both non practicing christians and diverged in our outlook as time went on. We were married for 38 years.

I say it depends, just spiritual would be easy. Fire and brimstone, hell no.

Been there done that, too many times. If you are not bound to where you live move. Try Portland, Canada etc..

Here is the thing. To me atheism isn't a big deal when I care about someone. BUT. Then there will come a time when you have to wear a chain or push them away.

She will ask, Do you believe in ghosts after telling you a stupid ass ghost account of hers. Then your there. That very special moment in the relationship where your not worried so much about getting laid but getting out.

You see, at that moment you have to either put on the chain and realize you are stuck in a charade. Or you can tell her the truth. No you crazy bitch I don't believe in ghosts.

Here's the problem. The chain is heavy. You tell her the truth she and her family will stop respecting you.

Keep away:

Some differences in any relationship make for a better relationship, when it comes to a difference over religion and non-belief, imo, it'd be far better that a non-believer hooks up with either a fellow non-believer or, at least, a believer who is tolerant, non-judgmental and open-minded enough to accept your ways,thoughts and ideas, etc, as well.

Depends. Only if the believer is not strongly religious and also tolerant of the atheist or agnostic's non-belief. In my experience, that tolerance is very rare, and since I Iive in Iowa, which is pretty much the same as Nebraska, all I can say is good luck with trying to date in rural Nebraska. Because even tho I don't live in rural Iowa, because for me that would be unliveable even with a partner, trying to date as an Agnostic here in urban Iowa is damn near impossible at my age. Fortunately you are a little younger than me, but you may find you need to date LD to find someone compatible. It's likely you will need to date someone from Omaha or Lincoln, maybe even out of state to find a partner.

I think if the person who is religious honestly respects your beliefs and doesn’t judge or try to convert you.

Yes. My wife and I have been happily married for almost 24 years. She is a devout Catholic. The key is respecting each other's right to believe as we choose.

Anything a person puts their mind to doing can be accomplished if it is within reason, and technologically possible.

I have seen it work. I can do it if they quietly believe, but not with someone who goes to church. I know believers who are not religious. They are not always inclusive.

i am an atheist. my guy has a vague belief in a vague undefined god (when i ask him he gets mad but the last time i insisted and he thought for a minute and then confessed he believed in a god who created evolution.) we're both jewish -- yes, i still self-identify that way. funny thing about judaism -- they don't kick you out for not believing. the only thing that makes you an apostate from judaism is taking on another god. anyway, he hates my ag dot com tee shirt but it's not a dealbreaker. we've been together for 18 of the 19 years we've known each other and our commitment is for life, whatever we have left to us (we're both old farts). it's not a problem. if he gets too pissy about it i give him my best two words: "talking snake." that shuts him up.

i imagine it would be different for a couple half of which was an evangelical christian. but i would never have dated one of those to begin with!

g

I think it’s possible if there are boundaries and only go to your partner ( two sided ) for a reasonable conversation keep it calm , cool and collected ( the narrative) and keep the “ bridge open “

Fundamental difference in philosophy

bobwjr Level 10 June 9, 2019

It depends on the individual in any person. If you asked if it was two people in the same denomination, it depends. I try not to assume that every religious or Christian or Muslim person have the same exact beliefs and ways of life. I think it’s perfectly fine to agree to disagree.

Of course they can.

For me, you really have to define believer. I know people that go through the motions but when it comes down to reality, they really don't believe. There also is a grouping which I would call spiritual but not religious. Growing up, that was more how I approached it all and in a way still do. For me, there is a greater meaning for us, we're all interrelated, part of the same big cosmic mix. Never beginning or ending, just changing.

If said partner is not deeply committed to his belief system there is a possibility. However, you're talking about rural Nebraska and church is social life and identity. Do all other issues line up? If there are children how will they be raised? @SeaMeNebraska, I grew up in Grand Island, it was big enough that not going to church was not a big deal, though in theory my family "belonged" to a church.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:358467
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.