Agnostic.com

27 1

Immortality

If science found a way to make you live forever, would you take the opportunity?

Vipyr82 7 Mar 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If you continue to age as you do now, with all the complications aging brings with it, I would not want that. Can you imagine what you would even smell like at 1000 years old.

Biological immortality is the end of aging and disease. It is not the mere extension of lifespan, but also of healthspan. The hypothetical is generally presented in that way. The only way you can die is from accident, suicide, or murder. That is what makes it an interesting thought experiment, even if you think it's ridiculous that we could totally conquer disease and aging.

@mordant and just what age do you remain at?

@jlynn37 The way it would most likely play out is that aging is halted at some biological peak, like maybe late 20s or early 30s. People older than that may or may not gradually de-age, it depends on the technology. But that would only be a problem for the generation for which this tech is deployed, even if true.

I would imagine if I were given a magic pill for this at my present age (61) it would resolve existing disease processes and the aches and pains of the past 15 years or so would go away and I could expect to at least be more comfortable and have nicer skin 😉

Absolutely not. I think knowing that I'm going to die helps me decide how to live.

I tend to agree that argument has some merit. The flip side is that our current lifespans are short enough that many of us are just getting somewhat clear on who we are and what we want at about the time our health turns to shit. I'm not convinced most people would be rendered indolent if they had a much longer or even indefinite lifespan. But you're right -- mortality is somewhat clarifying. The question is, how much mortality is enough, and is it an indispensable ingredient.

As long as I could take the option of ending my life later, yes. Immortality would let me discover so much, and this universe... you could spend billions of years exploring it and not get bored.

@pthomas59 I'd want a fairly epic death, though. If teleportation becomes a reality, I'd want to die by being transported into a star. It'd be instantaneous; I'd be vaporised before I could register the pain.

Oh no I really have had enough, already! wouldnt want to do this again! I seriously like the idea of getting off!

Yes, just to be able to learn all I can. The possibilities of space travel....

Sounds good to me!

Assuming quality of life can be maintained, sure

JeffB Level 6 Mar 12, 2018

No, I don't think I want to overstay my welcome here. The things you do in life have meaning because you will eventually die.

Depends. Would that mean being YOUNG forever?

You are as young as you feel. There are elderly bodybuilders who are healthier than many of their contemporaries and those 10-20 years younger than them.

I’m amused by some of these responses. Okay. We’re trained to accept our own mortality, but we also live within the sandbox of this world where anything you put your mind to is possible.

Many of you think we’ll keep looking like prunes and be as frail and brittle as people who reach elderly age get.

I’ve Seen a few elderly bodybuilders in this era, an old man who has a body of a 30-year old and a black grandmother with a body of someone likely half her age. If age is a mindset and you can reinvent yourself at any age, why can’t science do the same?

We have fields of science dedicated to defying all aspects of the aging process from extending the natural life span to defying the physical aging process in the skin and hair.

Our potential for greatness has just begun and seeing the advancement of technology in the distant future. Wouldn’t any of you like to experience some hope of deep space travel? Most of us won’t love to see that because we haven’t figured out how to break space and time. even if we do, there’s many variables that can cause disaster.

We grew up when humanity continues to dream of exploration and many of us won’t live to see anywhere near the potential we can achieve.

Think of all the careers you can do and be if your life could be expanded?

Even still, does trying live the complete natural way come from some notion that we not upset some natural order? Where do you draw the line? We’ve been messing with Mother Nature since our existence. We even managed to find a way to synthetically clone our own cells and other life forms bypassing the birthing process?

If you can live near forever short of an accident and retain your youth, why wouldn’t you take it? What’s to say that choice couldn’t be extended to your loved ones? At least if we had the choice, wouldn’t it be too tempting to pass up?

No chance

probably, maybe. More likely just a bit longer and healthier, I htink I would get bored after a while.

NO! I can think of no greater punishment.

If I could live with at least my current physical ability and have good quality of life, absolutely.

Yes, it would always be possible to commit suicide later if it didnt work out.

Yes, it would always be possible to commit suicide later if it didnt work out.

One thing is for sure. Anyone who wants to live forever does not believe they are going to heaven. 🙂

No.

That would be a curse.

Yes, not even a question. I'm already looking.

NAD+

[elysiumhealth.com]

Yes!
Some people say if they can have "youth", "quality of life", etc -
Provided that my time is infinite (granted by the immortality), the other things I will achieve with time.

Even if you manage to outlive the earth, the species probably would have evolved into deep space travel.

Who knows... And the only way to see is to live long enough. So we are back to the immortality question.

Probably. Even knowing that one day I might get so bored that I want to kill myself... at least I'd have that option. Oh, and a 20-year old body (Jealous of Youth).

godef Level 7 Mar 12, 2018

Yes, no questions, don't mind the semantics, the answer is yes.

If I could afford it-would we still have Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security?

Move to Amarillo,Texas. It will feel like forever.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35976
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.