Agnostic.com

34 16

QUESTION A Bunch of Religious People Think Stephen Hawking Is Currently Burning in Hell – Friendly Atheist

This is exactly why we need more science and less fairy tales. In general, religious people are the most hateful and mean spirited people in the world. I am glad not to be counted among them and share their pettiness.

SkotlandSkye 8 Mar 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

34 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If there is a god who would send Stephen Hawking to hell and surround himself with evangelicals for all of eternity, he certainly would not have been intelligent enough to create the earth, to say nothing of the of the universe.

JimG Level 8 Mar 14, 2018

Damn, that's about the best thing I've heard about SH's death!!!

Well I would rather burn in hell with Hawking than be in "heaven" with that lot and their bigotted sadistic god.

It's those kind of people that are pushing me more and more to anti-theism.

@irascible For years, I have really tried to embrace the whole 'live and let live' philosophy. I know there are no gods, but I also know the religious faith really does sustain many people, and who am I to tell them they're wrong? I know quite a few REALLY good people who are very devout. I always thought it wrong of me to tell them what they believe is just so much bullshit. However, I'm growing increasingly disgusted with the overreach of the "faithful". I can't take it anymore.

That is a horrible way to think of a great man who just died. Stupid religious people.

I see this as a pitiful ploy to convince only themselves. Maybe someone should ask these fanatics how can a "loving" god have put someone in Stephen Hawkins position in the first place? It is especially sick when said brilliant person uses what little he has left (his reasoning power) to shed light on the workings of the world to then be condemned to eternal damnation. I guess that is what these illiterati think of science and knowledge!

I love the word "illiterati."

@ElizabethI I don't know where I learned that word but it instantly came to mind with this posting. [urbandictionary.com]

This makes me want to slap people. sigh

Well said. His light bubble races away at the speed of light, but it's center is now hollow as is a place in my heart. RIP, good Dr.

That just makes me so angry how anyone can be so cruel.

Not surprised in the slightest, mind you, but angry nonetheless.

The ability to move beyond this infantile need for the security of a "god" figure is part of the hurdle set we must negotiate to evolve. just pity those who cannot do so yet.

It is not surprising. It is not even disappointing. It is consistent with the character of the majority of fundamentalist evangelicals. Fortunately they do not represent the majority of believers. However, this is a public admission of who they actually are, and that may be a good thing in some respects. It might just be advantageous to us for them to proclaim loudly, "Look! I really am an asshole, in spite of all my not quite honest comments to the contrary."

If anything, I am saddened by all the vitriol, even though it was expected. I heard comments like this on Christian radio all day today. Yes, I listen to them sometimes and even watch a few of their TV shows on occasion. I am, after all, a student of Sun Tzu.

[independent.co.uk]

I don't care what they think. 🙂

marga Level 7 Mar 14, 2018

oooh, he didn't accept the "lily white bearded one" as his lord and savior - so of course he's doin' the slow burn. For too many there seems to be no other way of thinking ... none. eeesh !

I agree with you. I have never met as many down right mean spirited people who pretend to be so Godly as the religious. I can't wait to get away from them. IF I ever win the lottery I will wait; every so often an entire town goes up for sale and I have this fantasy of buying one and turning it into a religion free zone with science and arts based schools, non religious cemetary and old folks home, business where no one has to worry if they will be turned away for their sexual orientation, or their mixed marriages and children, or whom their life partners are. It is just a fantasy but it is a place I dream of, plus those of us who are non believer farmers would have customers who arent throwing God in our faces all day every day!

Their lives are so bitter and unfulfilled that they hope and literallly pray that they will get another crack at a new life, hilarioulsly though, filled with all the same people and pets they treated like shit first time around. they are nuts.

My condolences to Dr. Hawking and his family but seriously if their is a hell though and trust me I got the going to hell speech millions of times then Dr. Hawking is having a blast down there where he aint paralyzed there is booze, weed, girls, other atheists Charles Darwin, Nikola Tesla, Christopher Hitchens, Albert Einstein, and Ronnie James Dio seriously Christians make me wanna wish such a place existed but oh well. And yes why do they gotta just shit on everything.

Don' forget Ronnie James Dio ROCK ON!

They can go to hell!

I am pretty sure hellishness is part of it

What happened to that "judge not lest ye be judged" thing in Christianity? Most Christians don't follow their own rules very well, and nowadays too many Christians are proud of that fact.

I had not even heard of Mr. Hawking's passing. With such a great mind I am sure that his only Hell was living with relative idiots.

For your information Professor Hawking just retired from Hell. I just don't understand how come people refuse to believe that Hell is here and now. Especially in the condition the Professor was physically. Hell is what he suffered all his life. Need I say more...

And a bunch of religious people are wrong about yet another topic.

...I don't need the link ..but would you call that "Thinking?" 😉

Varn Level 8 Mar 14, 2018

As do I.

LMAO! Those same people believe the world is 6,000 years old too. Lol.

Yuck. He contributed so much to our understanding of science and the universe. If there were a hell, and I don't believe there is, why would he end up there?
I get tired of the anti-science bias. It's the 21st century.

Those tweets were so judgemental...when THEY don't know for sure, if hell exist! THEY seemed so ignorant, why did THEY condemn a person to hell? THEY, took it upon their selves to speak for the CREATOR, no matter who/what that could be. I think that attitude is what keeps me at a distance from these people and their 'poison' judgement! No human being is more powerful than the 'force,' that created life! Even, if it turns out to be a spark!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37097
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.