Agnostic.com

40 7

Do You Have An Age You Turned Which Made You Sad?

They say "Age Is Nothing But A Number" well I think its a matter of perspective.

From the age of 18 to my late 20's I mainatined a youth appearance and constantly got ID'ed if I bought alcohol, cigarettes or entered a night club.

When I turned 30, it was very emotional because the baby face was gone, I was starting to get a little gray in my hair. I also noticed I wasnt getting ID'ed anymore.

Please tell me if there was an age you turned that was hard or emotional for you.

twshield 8 Mar 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

40 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I cried when I turned 38. That meant my oldest son was about to turn 18 and become an adult.

I used to cry on every birthday from 1993 until about 2000. My youngest died of SIDS the day after my birthday; but as the time passes by it's less painful. I still don't like or celebrate my birthday though.

Oddly enough, when I turned 25, I had a REALLY hard time with it.
Since then, not even a blip. I'm closer to 60 than 50, and I really don't care.
Every year that I'm still here, forcing everyone to deal with me, is a freakin' win!!!!
😀

I was 3 years old when existential dread kicked in. It was all downhill from there.

Did you grow the beard at 3? For some reason I associate existential dread with beards......

@Blindbird I had to go with a faux beard for the first several years, unfortunately. 😟

@resserts gets the job done!

I'll be a little sad when I hit age "dead".

Don't worry about it; death is just a number. 😉

I just turned 57. It has been really bothering me that I’m growing old alone. I have no idea how to date anymore. Even my best friend has a boyfriend now. They live in the same retirement community. I hate the way I’m feeling about myself these days. Maybe if I could figure out how to get rid of my resting bitch face life would be different.

Nope! My twenties were full of so much BS (my own included) that I greatly looked forward to my thirties. A few hiccups and losses aside, it's been a great decade so far.

1. I'd just moved in with my parents after filing for divorce. I had no money and a son turning 6 the next day. That was a lousy year.

I'm 81. Reaching a particular age ever made me sad. Still, getting old is a process of having to give up things that give up things which were central to your life -- sports, driving, recreational walking, reading, and more. We just have to learn to adapt and to make our goals more immediate ones, easier to fulfill.

I threw up in front of everyone at six.

That was bad.

Somewhere between 47 and 50 I started to become invisable. Old men get respect, old women get ignored

Right there with ya, sister!!

Not so much sad as a bit more crocked. It seems to be every "9" birthday. 29 my shoulders went. 39 I aquired a permanent back injury. 49 I got diagnosed with arthritis in my fingers. This may be confirmation bias.

I think I was 28. My husband and I waited 7 years to get pregnant and I felt my life would never be the same. Preminition of going into labor at 6 months? Having special needs child? Who knew?

For me it was 30... I thought I was no longer young and it was only downhill toward the grave from there... But that was society's opinion of that age. I've matured over the last three decades and no longer pay attention to the numbers, and perhaps I don't always act my age when unsupervised. I'm 61 now, and aside from a few wrinkles and less energetic dancing, I'm happier and calmer than I've ever been!

Not sad but strange. My Dad died at 50 and turning 50 and being older than my father was weird initially?

@twshield yes totally nuts! I’m 10 years older than him now but my mum was 89 so not totally off the wall. I can’t imagine the weirdness of being older than both you parents!

Thirty was a toughie for me. Now that I will be 62 in two months, I look back at how upset I was over turning thirty, and I just laugh.

Deb57 Level 8 Nov 19, 2018

Actually I have not. I'm 71 and age is just a number. I have a friend that lamented forever the fact that he turned 40. I thought it was funny. My take on age might be because I've been down the marriage road 4 times now. Two were younger and two were older. I feel like I have lived a very long life because of this, but I'm not ready to leave yet. Life is but a movie in which I have played many parts along with many other people.

When I was coming up on my 30th bday I was worried about it but when it actually happened it didn’t bother me. I’m 44 now and the last year I’ve noticed it feels like everyday there’s a new line on my face. The thing that really makes me feel old though is thinking about how much of my youngest daughter’s (7) future I’ll miss.

When I turned 28 I was sad because I genuinely thought I turned 28 the year before and had to figure out how old I was and that that might be the first sign I am getting old

if so, it was unintentional. I don't try to lie about my age.

Most of my 20's through early 30's were awful. I was clinically depressed with social anxiety for most of that time and have large gaps in my memory. So glad that's long past.

I remember my 1st bought of melancholia. It was a feeling that swept over me inexplicably out of the blue as I sat on a step outside the Lutheran daycare where my parents took me while they worked. I was 10.

I remember turning 21 and thinking 24 was old. ha...ha
So for me really more about physical "milestones", busting butt down stairs, the change. I never cared about being carded, always thought it weird. They'll card you up here when you're 80. It's so dumb.

30 Major lelt down,lasted 7 years,
pity it took me 7 years to learn I was wasting my life worrying about being over 30.

Not an age per se but when I knew I was done having babies, I felt "old". Not that I want more, it just felt like a milestone in my life.

Actually No, Some milestones made me Happy, 16, 18, 19 (Canada & Grandfathered into Idaho's Drinking Age), 21, 25 (Save on Car Insurance). 30, 40 & 50 were Ho Hum, neither happy nor Sad

When I turned 40 I remember waking up in a shock from a nap because I didnt have much time left

I'd have to think about it for a while... somewhere around 44-45 I think. I was at a skateboard park skateboarding with my son... and I was clearly going to crash after dropping in on one of those darn metal ramps they put in little parks. I decided to bail and run it out... quickly realized there was no way I was as fast as I used to be... and in the resultant wipeout, broke my right elbow.

I skateboarded 24/7 as a teen in the 70s and never broke anything! And now I break my right arm despite landing on my left side!?!?! Even the young orthopedic doc made a comment like "This radial head fracture is a very common break in older patients!"

Older?

OLDER!?!?!!

A few months later, first time back on a board at a different park... an embarrassingly mild wipe out and I cracked or broke something in my left wrist! I never got that one x-rayed, but something was definitely messed up. (Scared of the wifes response if it was broken!)

Suddenly I was too old to skateboard... too brittle AND fat... very frustrating and sad.

I'd say 40 was bad for me. It was right around then I found I had to give up many of the vices I'd become so fond of through my twenties and thirties. That entire decade was hard for me in terms of having to grow up, but especially my early forties - before I learned not to take myself so seriously.

TO_BY Level 7 June 13, 2020
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37159
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.