Agnostic.com

22 2

Big city living versus small city

I am planning on moving very soon here. I have never lived in a city above 140,000 people. What are some pros and cons you have experienced in either a big city or a smaller city. I know it's subjective when it comes to liking being around other people and such things but I'm curious as to what you have to say. Should I go for a large city like I am leaning towards (Minneapolis, St. Paul MN.) Or should I avoid it?

Levi_Hinton 7 Mar 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I lived in the Dallas/Ft Worth metroplex during my working career. When I retired 23 years ago I moved to my lake property with a mobile home on it in a very rural area. I would not want to return to big city living. Everything has it's advantages and disadvantages.

I hate small town living for a simple fact everyone knows you. If one person doesn't like you, the entire town can turn into your worst nightmare. I've seen black people and transpeople run out in months. I have this weird ability to make large groups of people hate me, so small towns have always been horrible to me. I prefer the anonymity of cities, and the diversity.

Pro: Small towns are much more convenient to get around in. It's easier to get to know people. There can be a strong sense of community. The lifestyle is usually less expensive and more laid-back.

Con: Everybody knows everyone else's business. Small-town gossip is a fact. There can be limited opportunities for entertainment and shopping.

Pro: Big towns offer much more to do, whether it's eating out, going to events, shopping...whatever.

Con: It can be a hassle to go anywhere because of traffic and crowds. It's more difficult to make friends. The lifestyle is usually more expensive and more hurried.

marga Level 7 Mar 15, 2018

You can have anonymity in the city. Small towns you have to work at staying out of the rumor mill and gossipy crap that goes on. I've lived in both and enjoyed both.

If you move to Mini-Paul we expect a pic of you throwing your knitted hat in the air.

I lived in the suburbs of a large city. I didn't like the hectic pace of life. I have lived in small towns for the last 44 years and prefer that, although, I must say, I live close enough to a larger metropolitan area that I can go and come home in the same day. It's an individual decision.

I live 3 hours from Orlando which is just far enough to make a trip an all day thing but I have to see a doctor up there once a year so plan my shopping around that since he is downtown but when I lived here before, we had shopping opportunities. I was shocked when I got back to find out how far I had to drive to find a Toys R Us much less a specialty toy store.

I second/third all that's been shared!

If you enjoy variety and diversity and being challenged by new ideas, try a big city for at least a few years. My first job out of college was in NYC. As a girl from Western NC it was both life shaping and eventually exhausting. I learned so much, would never trade it. Would also not do it again. I am about to move to DC, after 16 years living in a fairly small town.

Neeew York is where I'd raaather beee, I juuust adoreee a Penthouse view..I grew up living in Boston..spent time in small towns, once in a village where the year round population was 150 ppl ( Sweden). I like the small town thing for about a week..then I go crazy for something to Do..
City living is awesome..there's Always something happening..somewhere..good and bad..but living around soo many different cultures is extraordinary!

If big city I would want a place with at least a weekly farmer's market.

Fresh produce is a must.

I really want to eventually go tiny house and have chickens and goats mater plants.

Not a city person here.

I'm not much for city living, regardless of size. I realize there are better job opportunities in a city, and greater cultural outlets, and more entertainment options, but I prefer rural areas where traffic isn't insane and I can spend time in nature pretty much whenever I like. So long as I have access to basic shopping, a good internet connection, and transportation, I'm happy living in a county with a whopping 26,000 people.

There's so much more opportunity in cities but for me small town living is worth the sacrifices. There have been times when I’ve cussed this place but overall I enjoy the laid back atmosphere and being close to the mountains and what they offer.

gearl Level 8 Mar 15, 2018

I used to live in Seattle, pretty much downtown. Now I live in NYC, which is significantly bigger. Even though I grew up in Wyoming and Montana. Personally I love the city. There are so many places to hang out, and so many people to hang around with. In the city it's less problematic if you're gay, agnostic, slightly off-kilter. There are thousands of like-minded groups within blocks of anywhere you want to be. Parking can be frustrating, though in my case, I don’t even need a car so that saves a ton of money. There is a noise level, but you’d be surprised at how quickly you can acclimate to that. In a small town, if the gossip gets too bad, you have to move... but in a city, you can just switch communities.

Torn here myself. I've lived a lot more in the country or small town/city, but have been contemplating a move. A part of me wants to head for the hills, but another is thinking to move to a city and enjoy that life for a while.

Hey, we aren’t too far from each other. I grew up in a town of 2,000 and never thought I’d live in a city as “big” as Mankato. Now after 20+ years I’m contemplating moving to the cities as well after my daughter graduates next year. There’s just so much more culture, music, farmers markets etc.

It will be an adventure! I have lived in many big cities in Europe, but my heart has always been in the country. That's where I am now, a hamlet of 200 people within a town of 9000. Perfect! A pond, a railroad, fifty thousand fruit trees and Lake Ontario near by. You will find many exciting venues, more people than you may like in one spot, but nothing is forever. Go for it. Minneapolis sounds great!

Depends where you are in the family cycle -- if young, married and have kids -- Suburbs w/ highly rated schools are a MUST. You will pay a premium for a home in a "great" school district, but you will get the money back when you sell. If single - the shear numbers of available mates make the big city the choice. Commuting - not a big deal, listen to NPR, relax - it's like a decompression on the way home.

Retirement -- now you have a choice -- after my wife died and I decided I was not going to mow one more blade of grass -- I moved to an apartment in DC from the super nice suburbs. I haven't regretted my choice - but others who want nature, open fields, birds and deer -- this would have been a bad choice. BUT beware - you will need medical services which aren't readily available in podunk center. Consider what happens w/ a broken leg, cataract surgery - other instances where you will lack mobility -- living on a farm stead doesn't play out well then.

f

Extreme bordom in a small town

Long term, avoid the sea coast, the oceans are rising.

I will stay near a coast while I can.

Last couple of years have been awful for hurricanes.

Learn to swim. Have a life vest on hand.

I live under 5 miles from the coast as the crow flies, it can be stressful LOL

In my opinion, young people would get much more out of a big city. There are many more options such as big companies, dating, night scene, etc. It doesn't matter as much if you're retired, but when I was young, I always wanted to be in the city where everything was happening and I never regretted it.

It's your call. I was born in St. Louis and I've lived there as well as in little towns 75 miles away. A big city has areas you would like to avoid, and by living there you learn how to do that pretty well. A small town is similar but has less choice. I have traveled here and in Europe and have been in many large cities. These days my home of choice is a mobile home on a half acre lot in a community of about 1200 people. Most people would say my area is boring but I did not move here to be entertained.

Each have their charms. I loved living in Orlando because there was always something to do, plenty of public transportation and other services, a multitude of choices for everything you needed or wanted but it is more expensive, everyone is in a hurry and it's more impersonal.

My home town has limited shopping choices, a dearth of public services but people are more likely to engage. And my paycheck provided me with a higher standard of living here than it did in Orlando.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37594
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.