Agnostic.com

30 3

Relationships with Religious people and people who don't share politcal values the same as you do?

Can it work? I don't think so in my opinion

idlopalev 7 Mar 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'd rather not debate my partner every time the orange one tweets. I'd just like to agree that he's an idiot and move on. My aunt and uncle are politically opposed but I see them as an exception. I tried to date a few religious ladies. If they weren't trying to make me a believer their friends were. It was comical and annoying.

It's not a problem for me so long as there is no fanatacism involved with religion. Politics is different. You like the trumpling, you are on the dumpling. Think reagan was great, you ain't gonna be my mate...haha

Been there. Done that. In the words of Fleetwood Mac, "Ain't never go an back again."

Never again

I know that I could never be in a romantic relationship with someone of faith and/or different political values but I've seen it work. Look at political couple James Carville and Mary Matalin. I believe they said they debate in the media but never take it home. I've seen many couples, Atheist/Catholic, Christian/Hindu, Jewish/Catholic and Muslim/Christian but one thing I've noticed is that one partner is usually not as religious or practicing as the other. In the Atheist/Catholic relationship, the Atheist was never exposed to religion growing up and never really had strong feelings about religion one way or the other but allows their children to be raised Catholic.

As far as non-romantic relationships, it is possible in some circumstances. I'm a hardcore liberal but I can have great friendships with conservatives except when their political ideals support racism, discrimination, xenophobia, misogyny etc. And all my friends/family are believers. As long as you don't try to convert me, tell me I'm going to hell, or that I'm anything less because I am godless, we're cool.

Its going to end in tears

I could not do it

My ex and I hung in there for three years. We had a countless good times. I have no hard feelings and I miss a lot about our life together. However, ultimately, those two differences were too big for me to ignore. If I ever partner again, it will be with one where have the feedom to say EXACTLY what I think about current events, our political "leaders," and religion.

I think you are correct.

My wife is religious and we have a great relationship. We are respectful of each others' beliefs. However, it probably would not work out if she was not so liberal in her beliefs. We have interesting discussions.

Nuke Level 5 Mar 16, 2018

I live in the bible belt so most of my family fall into the "I'm Christian" category. I also live in Texas so most of them are also Conservative...some of them far right. Over time, we've learned not to discuss religion, politics, or abortion.. We acknowledge our differences and avoid them. As for friends/relationships, if they support the orange tweeter, I have to let them go.

I don't have any current relationships with religious people-I am a die hard liberal.

It is because of religion and politics that I do not have many friends at all. I believe in democracy for all and the common good while not believing in a sky daddy. I'm also opinioned but know enough to keep quiet and keep my job. This is a combo that doesn't appeal to many people.

Sounds familiar. I can't say that I have friends other than my sisters. Even though we have mostly opposing beliefs, we have grown to be friends. I'm pretty opinionated myself but also aware that keeping my job is vastly more important than speaking my mind...🙂

Political views has always been important to me religious views have become more important over the last few years to me. I couldn’t be with a evangelical or a conservative.

I putup with it for my sibs.. I would not anywhere else

I guess it depends on the individual. It works for me and my family because we've agreed to disagree and we tend not to discuss either topic. They don't try to convert me and I don't make a big deal about their beliefs. Most of my family identifies as Christian and many of them also identify as Conservative...some of the far right variety.

It's not going to work for me. I have tried it.

JimG Level 8 Mar 16, 2018

Generally, I am going to avoid both. I just don't have the energy or inclination to constantly be at odds with anyone who is that much of an opposite. However, I have a few strong relationships with a few family members, and a couple of friends, who are diametrically opposed to me on those issues. Fortunately, the love and respect we feel for one another are enough to keep those subjects from being brought into the relationship. We've tacitly agreed not to bring those things up when we are interacting. I will say that the political differences are much easier to manage than the religious ones. Every so often, one of them will make reference to their god or church in some fashion. Sometimes, I just let it go, sometimes, I remind them who they're talking to.

As the years pass, I have fewer and fewer right-wing friends. Right now I can think of one possibly 'conservative' friend, and he's not really THAT conservative. I have a few religious friends. Most aren't commies like me, but they're not assholes.

Religious differences might work until the time you have kids with your partner. Sometimes the things that never seemed all that important become huge as children are introduced to the equation. Not just with your partner but also with family members applying pressure.

All are welcome if respect is mutual. Neither politics nor religion is important enough to divide a real friendship.

I think you nailed it with "respect". If you don't respect each other, or your right to have a different opinion, then it's pointless.

Not true. Many friendships lost because the Drumpendevos fans are insane.

Provided they're not extreme in their beliefs, I could work with it (in fact, I have had relationships with liberal religious people). If they feel the need to proselytise and tell non-believers and those of other faiths that they're going to hell, then no. Political values are more important to me: anyone right-of-centre would have to be exceptionally liberal, anyone further right than that would be a definite no.

Jnei Level 8 Mar 16, 2018

They can be made to work for a time. But is biting your tongue constantly worth it? I've been in a couple of relayionships like that. They ended badly. But then again, all relationships end badly

Seriously, you need ro sir down and weigh the pluses and minuses. It's probably going to crash and burn. That person would have to be really special.

It's lost from the beginning, makes a relationship a hardship.

I live in Northern ireland a deeply divided place 2 religions at war not peace, politics divided over the head of religion )- because I am English no one asks about my religion in fact I am barely worth a mention because everyone is pretty sure where they are headed. I get on with most of the people in my housing scheme nad the scenery is beautiful I can cope with not being flavour of hte month as I am old and can't be bothered very much .

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37844
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.