Agnostic.com

22 7

Perseverance

What are your healthiest and your least healthy coping skills when times get tough?

AMGT 8 Mar 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Crying like a baby is probably my least healthy coping skill (but hey, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do). I find that the more familiar I become with reality, the better I am able to cope with it. Like in any relationship! 🙂 So... studying.

skado Level 9 Mar 16, 2018

I kindly disagree with you. I believe that crying is one of the healthiest ways to cope. It’s not the be all and end all, but you could never convince me it’s unhealthy—unless one is using it as an emotional manipulation tool.

@BlueWave It's all relative. The only thing better than crying is learning how not to need it. (It was invented as an emotional manipulation tool).

@VictoriaNotes Yes, tears are nature’s way, and so there’s no reason to avoid them for the purposes you listed, but as a coping mechanism, it’s not the best available to adults. Tears are one thing; crying another.

@VictoriaNotes That's for sure. (that's why I acknowledged my use of it). 🙂 "Least healthy" doesn't mean unhealthy.

Go with the flow. Take care of yourself and family live a proper good life and things will go well. Along the way you will have problems and these are opportunities to grow, make the best of them.Don't forget to show your inner love to someone because if you don't you will be a lonely person.

The easiest way to lower the difficulty level is to eliminate nonessential interaction wtih the drama-driven characters. Most of them are NPCs anyway.

@AMGT Non-Player Characters.

@AMGT non player characters

@AMGT Yep, what @RavenCT and @NothinnXpreVails said. 🙂 It's common in multiplayer role-playing games where there are characters you can interact with who aren't controlled by other players (basically just computer-controlled simulations you can interact with).

@resserts kind of an extension of the the notion that one really doesn’t know if anyone else is real lol

@NothinnXpreVails This is very true. Sincerely, User874.

My least healthy would be vegging in front of the tv for hours, effectively avoiding tackling my to-do list. My healthiest is, of course, spending hours on Agnostic.com sounding out ideas here and digesting valuable wisdom from all of you here!
(How's that for totally sucking up?)
😉

Healthly: motorcycle therapy, nature therapy, music therapy, supportive friends

Unhealthly: too much alone time, alcohol, no friends around/available

Healthiest... Just deal with it the best I can.

Least healthy... Anger, indifference, realize I need to deal with it the best I can.

All of those really implode your being. try to reverse them ignore many of the things that upset you and hope that orange man gets impeached. You will feel better.

@Marine Donny's impeachment can't happen soon enough for me, I'll just need to deal with it the best I can. 😉

Many years ago I picked up a book called The Road Less Traveled by M. Scott Peck, and the opening paragraph has never left me.

“Life is difficult. This is a great truth, one of the greatest truths. It is a great truth because once we truly see this truth, we transcend it. Once we truly know that life is difficult-once we truly understand and accept it-then life is no longer difficult. Because once it is accepted, the fact that life is difficult no longer matters.”

A bit Buddhist I know, but that was the Buddha’s calling, to understand the sufferings of life.

I know of only one way, but it makes it worse for everybody else.

The game called life? I've been trying ot play it for decades and I still have not figured out the rules.
Keeping calm = healthy
Freaking out or over reacting = not healthy

Realizing that all you can do is play the hands you're dealt. Your level of success is what it is. You're still in there pitching.

That's all the platitudes and mixed metaphors I got.

Realizing that all you can do is play the hands you're dealt. Your level of success is what it is. You're still in there pitching.

Get knocked down 6 times get up 7.

Keep calm in any situation is a great bit of advice and question everything. panicing rarely helps anyone. just mindlessly conforming is just fucking stupid.

It's not a winnable game. Try to remind myself of that daily. Still hard to accept.

Food for me in either case..

I try not to let anything make me feel like it's the worst thing in the world.

I like to solve problems, so that would be the healthiest. I am impatient with other people at times, so that is least healthiest.

Keep telling the truth instead of yielding to religious lies

I haven't cried in years. Inside I cry like a baby but in the real world I know it does nothing and means nothing. What has happened to me is that I see my life from now and on backwards in great detail. I see my faults and the acts of others (parents included) as to why I have my faults. Since we all have faults I cannot "blame" anyone exactly for how my life has turned out. I see many truths but knowing this I can still see how a "re-do" of my life would probably be about the same. Perseverance is a key word here. The best we can do is try and try again. If we learn something from each relationship this is all we can do. It takes everyone that has b een in your life to make you who you really are.

Weed in either case.

Life is like the board game I used to play.

I'm confused. I thought it was like a box of chocolates. 🙂

My healthy self faces the situation, and tries to find clarity before I react. The unhealthy me gets driven into my mind shadows, and prepares fantasy

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37947
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.