Agnostic.com

32 7

Atheist friendly communities or countries

I would love to visit or move to a country where the majority of people are atheist. I think i was reading something about Sweden or some European country that is more than half atheist or agnostic. Has anyone ever travelled to a country or community like this? How was it?

shadowforshur 4 Aug 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Believe it or not Upstate SC has a big atheist community. And we are out in the community too. Every year we grow a little more.

True Atheists and hUUmanists in S Carolina are marching out of the closets by the HUNDREDS

@GreenAtheist we are. More join us everyday.

@Incognitohippy I am proud of my Atheist comrades UpState, Midlands LowCountry and up the coast up to Wilmington....I feel homesick already for Charleston & Myrtle Beach

@GreenAtheist people love to trash South Carolina but I wouldn't want to live anywhere else in the union

@Incognitohippy Greer SC exports more cars to the world than Detroit now....people living with good jobs makes communities prosper....but Henry McMaster is a lifelong racist worse than TrumpOLINI and he will force all S Carolina women to stay pregnant no matter what

@GreenAtheist I live close to the inland port and BMW.
All of out state government sucks

I can't afford to move out of the country.
So, I'm just going to stay here and do what I can to piss off the believers.
What can I say? It's fun for me.

Yes I have been to Sweden many times. Very few believers left, just a few old people. It's a very civil society.

Iceland is amazing because you can drive for miles and not see a church anywhere. It’s great!

One of the few countries where bankers are jailed instead of workers pay reduced....love Iceland a green powered nation

Start off with finding meet up groups in your city or town. I’m not opposed to an all Athiest country, but remember, we have terrible people that wear our badge as well.

Come to England! By and large being a churchgoer is something one keeps to oneself for fear of being chuckled at.

It seems, on the face of it though, that Islam is becoming a much more visible and prominent religion in the UK and it may at some point eclipse Christianity as the main religion here.... I could be mis-reading the trend, but I do wonder.

I doubt it. Second generation Muslims usually prefer the Western lifestyle to that of their parents and generally assimilate.

Many north European countries do indeed have less obvious religion. They also offer many other excellent options of secularism.

Germany still has income tax with-holding for all citizens belonging to Lutheran and catholic churches....tennis player Steffi Graf daddy got in big trouble not kicking back big time money to German theocracy from her tennis winnings

There are plenty of places in this country. The deep South and the Southeast ain't it. Austin, Denver even heavily Catholic cities I have lived or spent a lot of time in like El Paso, Corpus Christi, and San Antonio, you are not aware of over the top religion. It is the Protestants who are the nut jobs.

I've lived in Germany several times in my life. Most of the people I knew there didn't have anything to do with religion. They explained to me that the churches were kept a lot like museums and so forth. They had cultural and historic value. But hardly anybody messed around with that "god stuff."

I lived in Portland, Oregon, which has th largest population of persons who admit to not going to church of major cities in the U.S. It was great. I still live pretty close to Portland, and hope to afford to move back there soon.

Come to UK. No one bothers with god really

Australia and New Zealand. The advantages of North America (wide open spaces, access to wilderness, good weather) with the advantages of Northern Europe (secular society, healthcare, sane gun laws).

You haven't seen 'wide open spaces until you have traveled in the Aussie Outback.

@Triphid It's one of the things I really miss. That and swimming in surf.

I live in Norway, No one cares of your religion, no one will ask, no one expects you to talk about. Most of religion here is more a social thing than some really serious.

Count me in! I love to dream about living someplace more humane, with kinder and more intelligent people than are running this country.

djs64 Level 7 Aug 4, 2019

Big cities tend to be a lot more diverse and tolerant (though maybe not in Saudi Arabia).

In the UK you would be in a majority. Nobody makes a deal of it.

Almost all of Europe is free of evangelical Christian churches and sects, and do not engage in psoselytizing.
I was in Germany for over two and a half years, and I never encountered anyone trying to cram religion down my throat.

Iceland is almost 100% atheist...

Cincinnati has been an excellent place for me as a lifelong atheist. I’ve really had no issues.

I moved to Portland Organ for a short time. I was at work one day when a coworker from a different department began to speak with me.

Soon the conversation was four people. I made a slight godless comment. It wasn't bad or extreme, it was in the bounds of professionalism. The co-worker then informed me she was a Christian.

In my mind, I was thinking along the lines of, great I just put myself in a bad situation. Then, without any prompting, my two other co-workers piped in. Each announcing they were atheists. Then I did as well.

I swear I almost cried. It pumped my endorphins.

Anyway, I loved it there. Many atheists. I couldn't stay. My son's mom renigged on letting him come to live there.

The point is this. I again live in the Bible Belt. Hate the oppressive religious overtone and closed minds. I will stay. Even after my son is grown.

Why? Don't run from the problem. Build the community.

Don't come near Brazil then. If you do, look for me.

Edu_0 Level 4 Aug 5, 2019

My Spanish friends tell me that church is a business. I think education enlightens a small percentage there and like other said Catholics are a lot more Live and Let Live than other religions.

The facade over thousands of rapist priests to 2 living felony coverup popes

England - most say they are christian / anglican, but those attending churches are a small minority and are literally dying out

Even though we, here in Australia are, perhaps, stuck with a Happy Clappy, Jesus Chappy as Prime Minister for next 3 years, unless the Lib-Nationals have another of the hissy fits that is, we are still a country, for the most part, that is still quite okay with people NOT being religious, i.e. Atheists, etc.

Bloody ScoMo. But, given the average shelf life of Australian prime ministers...

@MrBeelzeebubbles Yeah, of late they ALL seem to have short shelf lives and even shorter 'expiry dates' considering the Libs have gone through 3 different Leaders in almost as many years and Labour isn't that far behind them.
It's getting kind of like where we wake every morning and have ask, "Who is the P.M. today, " LOL.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:383722
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.