Agnostic.com

29 1

Do you judge people base on how they look, talk, act, and how much money they make? If so why

Peacefulperson 6 Mar 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I like to think I judge people on what they say and how they act. How they look and how much they make are not relevant, at least not to me.

Yes, I do judge people on whether they make an effort to look presentable, on the intelligence and morality of their behavior, and on the intelligence and morality of what they say. As for the rest -- NO. It is garbage.

Everyone start with a blank slate with me. Your actions and what you say will determine how I classify you as a person. The range goes from decent human being, to clueless, to dumb ass idiot, and ends at complete asshole, with some subcategories in between.

I try not to judge until I have been able to interact with any given individual a few times

I tend to be a victim of snap judgement for multiple reasons.I am on the Autism Spectrum, so my body language and facial expressions are atypical and may not match the expected response.

I get around largely by bicycle due to Epilepsy. This means I have to carry around spare clothes, lunch, etc. with me, so I've had commuters and cops yell at me and ASSUME I am homeless.

I usually am not eating the same food as other people, since I have Celiac Disease and multiple food allergies. I have to bring my own food, and have been accused of insulting the host. Oh, I'm sorry. I'm supposed to risk getting sick or having anaphylaxis from a contaminated food item?! How rude of me, I'll try that again. Who wants to call 911 after I use my epi-pen?

The primary factor I use to "judge" people is they was they talk/act.

The amount of money a person makes is not necessarly dependent on their mental aptitude, honesty, personality, etc.

Of course, but I try to keep myself open to the possibility that my judgements may be altered. I tend to think that people who speak proper, grammatically correct English are smarter than people who don't, but I could be wrong. As far as actions go, I think that's a pretty fair way to judge a person. Behavior says more than looks or speech. As for making money, I don't think that makes much difference, so I don't judge people based on income.

Part opf it is instictual. We are animals subject to animal instincts. We can through conscious effort over come out instinctual first impressions. It is not easy, especialy since society tends to usually reenforce what we feel.

The4 challenge is in developing an intellect that over rules instincts which no longer serve us well in today's society.

Act ie rape, murder, fiddle with kids yes for sure. talk down to me or think there better than me hell yes. how they look was out of there hands and people across the world are good bad and everything in between. thats generalising.

Being raised urban, I can spot psycho at half a block away. Life is like that where I live. I don't want to judge but being surrounded by fear I am forced to assimilate. I try to take everyone I come in contact with with a grain of salt and hope for a friendly outcome beyond looks or income because neither of those guarantee peace or happiness.

of course. I'm not so sure about how much money they make. That doesnt seem to come up straight away.
people often choose to look a particular way in order to send a message. And if they are talking about ' effing migrants! coming over here....'

you'd be foolish not to at least consider some of these signals 🙂

I read 'the water babies' as a child and there was Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby and
MrsBedonebyasyoudid - It was a terrible book at that age I didnt realise all the christian values in it just read it but there is something like 'karma' in there that I'm not ashamed to own. I think I judge them on how they treat others.

Yes to the 1st three.

No to the last.

And maybe I should clarify that I assess a person rather than judge and by looks I am not referring to physical attractiveness, but body language, demeanor, cleanliness and a whole list of other visual clues.

Whether we like it or not, we have generally made an initial assessment of someone within the first seven seconds of meeting them.

No

How they act is the first thing I watch because IMO character is the most permanent aspect of a person. Then i determine if their words match their deeds. Looks and money can be an illusion because they may change rather quickly.

Everything except the $.

"You never get a second chance to make a first impression"... (credit?) On looks... initially, I make judgements based on appearance, not necessarily good or bad, just a judgement. If I see a smile, "small, medium or large", my reaction is more receptive or positive until that person tells me otherwise by words or action.
I think my reaction takes place in seconds, being open when "talk, act" warrants positive or negative change. For myself, clothes, wealth may have an effect, but minor.
I believe I'm adaptable or receptive to the majority situations, could be "genetics", or 50+ years in sales, I generally like people until given a reason not to... example trump... but I've never liked that bastard.

Tomas Level 7 Mar 18, 2018

I base my judgemeo on actions if you're talking as far as the person themself. Now i do judge people based on the way they talk/speak but that is based more on their education or ignorance

Not on looks or income, but how one talks and acts really reflects the kind of person they are.

JimG Level 8 Mar 18, 2018

Act and talk mainly, looks not so much but a White Supremecist T-shirt or the like will get noted. Must admit I have a thing about dental hygiene so the teeth must at least looked cared for. Dressed to impress usually has the opposite affect, but anything that reflects individuality I find interesting. And I've always been a sucker for a good smile and soulful eyes.

Kimba Level 7 Mar 18, 2018

I judge people on how they act mostly, and on what they say.

I evaluate people according to what they say in general and to their answers to specific questions.

I assess people based on these factors. Judging involves developing my opinion of the individual, and I do try not to be superficial about it, but hey, I only think it though so much.

Yah if someone makes a lot of money I assume they are asses, which is not always the case. If someone is wearing a MAGA hat well......

I judge people with my gut instinct. It rarely lets me down. I guess my gut is paying attention to how effectively they can communicate their thoughts, feelings and ideas. How they speak about, and to, others. Are they compassionate, respectful and thoughtful of my feelings. Watching for their actions as they speak louder than their words. Money has no relevance to a persons core values.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:39258
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.