Agnostic.com

21 17

LINK Conversion therapy leader McKrae Game comes out as gay

Totally NOT what I ever expected to see, but it also makes sense...

The founder of one of the nation’s largest conversion therapy programs has announced that he’s gay — and disavowed the “harmful” practice.

McKrae Game, who led the faith-based conversion therapy group Hope for Wholeness in South Carolina for nearly two decades, came out of the closet this summer at 51, The Post and Courier reported Saturday.

“Conversion therapy is not just a lie, but it’s very harmful,” Game told paper. “Because it’s false advertising.”

The revelation came two years after Game was abruptly fired from Hope for Wholeness.

In the interview, the former crusader called for the dissolution of conversion therapy groups.

The widely discredited practice, which is intended to suppress or change a person’s sexuality through counseling or religion, is currently banned in 18 states, including New York.

Game said he is trying to come to terms with the harm he inflicted through his program.

“I was a religious zealot that hurt people,” he said. “People said they attempted suicide over me and the things I said to them. People, I know, are in therapy because of me. Why would I want that to continue?”

Game is still married to a woman, Julie Game, who he says knows he is gay.

After coming out, he said he readied himself for intense backlash. He still receives angry Facebook messages from people who say they were traumatized by his program.

In a Facebook post last week, he wrote a lengthy apology, saying: “I WAS WRONG! Please forgive me!”

He told the paper he knows he will likely be apologizing for the rest of his life.

HippieChick58 9 Sep 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Better late than never. Apologize, of course, but do what you can to make a difference and correct the mistakes.

Moron who finally and probably got his shit straight with his family and friends so now he can claim the " freedom and honesty ". He knew all along , but no problem hurting others w same issue and misleading . F him . 0 respect from me .

It would be too easy for me to attack his hypocrisy, and leave it there.
Instead, I'm going to commend this guy for coming out and being truthful
about EVERYTHING.

It took a lot of courage to publicly acknowledge that you have been wrong.
To admit that you caused harm because of your false beliefs and denial of
your own true nature, and to apologize to those you've harmed.
He's owning his own shit, and that's rare, and not to be discouraged.
He's also lending his voice and considerable experience to expose the
dangerous practice of conversion therapy.

Since many of us are trying to be decent humans, I'm going to encourage
his current behavior.
He might be able to help some people now.
I'm okay with giving him the chance to prove it.

Well said!

@WilliamFleming Thank you.

It occurred to me that given the multitude of LIES we've been told, especially of late, someone telling the truth should be given a chance to prove himself changed.
He has a very real opportunity to help get conversion therapy outlawed.
I think that is a worthy endeavor, and should be supported.

@OwlInASack He can show he's "changed" by working to have conversion therapy outlawed, everywhere.

I agree with you. It takes a lot of courage to admit something like that.

No Surprise at all. I still think Pence is closeted. I truly believe that if this guy is sorry for what he did and wants to pay back society for his bullshit then he needs to do a speaking engagement around the country explaining everything he did that was wrong and also outing these programs in any way he can.

I believe Pence is also.

Another vote for Pence. Also guessing that he is so constricted emotionally, that he is legitimately unaware of it.

@BirdMan1 You could be right. He seems to be sexually confused as a straight guy too since he can't be in a situation alone with another woman.

Every day
i pray
pence away and every morning he is still here.

@AmelieMatisse I agree he could be confused, but I also think the whole "can't be alone with a woman" thing is a tool to repress women, and to draw attention to his "strong, serious religiosity.

I always wondered about Pence. I’ve seen some articles about Falwell and his pool boy. Recently something about his personal trainer. Both ended up financially rewarded for some reason!

Well-worn pattern of extreme homophobia compensating for self-hatred of their own sexuality. No surprise.

He's the third major leader of the conversion therapy racket to renounce it as quackery this year and the second to come out as Gay. I think this fellow from Utah was the first:

[independent.co.uk]

Here's a video with a former Exodus leaders who argue against Conversion therapy for a bill to ban it nationwide:
[truthwinsout.org]

Humored? Yes. Surprised? No.

I love it when these religious/moral leaders crash and burn

Epic.

Did anyone send an e-mail to mike pense? Glad to see he has denounced the practice but this goes to how I try to live my life. I am not prefect, I am not you and you are not me. As humans we all have our issues, I try really hard not to visit my issues on other people.
Clearly Mckrae Game has had issues with sexuality from jump and projected his angst and anxiety on to others.

Religion poisons everything, and certainly poisoned this guys mind for decades. I hope he tries to help those that he hurt!

So, when do we get to imprison Michelle Bachmann's husband? He's been billing medicaid for this bogus treatment for years!!
I'm glad the guy opened up about the deceit, bu, now, the rest of the states need to ban the BS!

I guess their is only so much denial of reality that someone can take before they crack. I'm sure the only reason he kept at it this long was a form of self-medication, to prove his beliefs. When he first realized it was all a lie, there is no way a person can cope with that except to double down. It took him all this time to finally fold.

The whole thing about someone needing "conversion therapy" is generally about themselves.

Nasty concept by a thoroughly nasty person who Of Course will not partake of his "therapy". Gee, I am So Shocked by this.....

Figures evangelical conservatives are usually morally corrupt , denying human rights

Doesn't come as any surprise at all.....

How many does this make now? Every time I hear this kind of story, I assume it's the old one from a year or so ago. But it's not.

Looks like old McKrae might have stayed hooked up to the 220v just a little too long.

Oh, the shame! Say the word. It begins with an "H" and ends with a "Y" LOL!!!

figures, hope he makes up for all the harm he did

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:397791
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.