Agnostic.com

21 13

Scientists identify the genes linked to left-handedness

I grew up in a family of six, highly intelligent, funny, left-handed musicians and artists, including me (flute). You had to be quick to get in a word during our rollicking, hilarious dinner conversations.

As a leftie, I married a left-handed artist. Our daughter is left-handed.

Scientists found left-handed people are better at verbal skills. Also...

"With left-handed people, the left and right sides of the brain communicate in a more coordinated way.

Left-handed people demonstrate "a higher synchronization of the natural oscillations of your brain, and these oscillations still happen when you are idle," she said, a synchronization that occurs "precisely again in the brain regions dedicated to language."

[fox43.com]

[msn.com];

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Wonderful. Hopefully the left handed can be cured with gene therapy instead of being rounded up and sent to work camps as some have suggested.

A series of new studies show that left-handed people are more likely to suffer from learning disabilities, stuttering, migraine headaches and, according to the latest findings, autoimmune diseases, like ulcerative colitis, myasthenia gravis and celiac disease, in which the body attacks its own tissues. [nytimes.com]

@MarkiusMahamius

Thankfully, none of those diseases occurred in my family or me.

Yes, migraine. And probably something else from the list that I'm not aware of yet )

@LiterateHiker I thought you suffered from arthritis, that is one surely ?

@Fernapple

From my grandmother, I inherited Heberden arthritis in my fingers.

It has nothing to do with being a leftie. Grandma was right-handed.

when i was a kid, a friend of mine from across the street was lefthanded but had a mom who forced her to behave righthandedly. as a consequence (according to my mother) my friend stuttered. (unrelatedly, my friend's father made a pass at my mother, my mother dutifully told my friend's mother, and the two families never communicated again; my mother was not believed.)

i myself am righthanded by the usual calculations: i use a pen or a fork with my right hand. however, i can only open bottles or deal cards with my left hand. i am ambidextrous for a passel of other activities. do i don't KNOW what i am, properly speaking, with regard to handedness, but i have reason to believe my verbal skills are no slouch.

g

Mom was a lefty

I used both hands equally until I went to school. That first child hating teacher was against using the left hand, and was proud that she could " break" a child to use their right instead. I got even with her, but that's another story. I've gone about my life using the more skilled hand for the project. For IV starts or foley caths, I use my left. Most other things I use both. Most would say I'm a Lefty forced to go right. I know I'm a both.

Interesting .
I am a lefty and a lot of my family is as well.

Taking into Consideration that most scientist are not left handed and may even be annoyed by Southpaws... what if they decide to get rid of Left Handed people? It will take a few Generations but once the gene identified... the gene can be removed or eliminated... Not the first time the attempt been done with less science... My grandmother was left handed... she noticed my mother was left handed and forced my mother to become righthanded tying up her left hand... I heard that story from other older people too how they were forced to use the right hand. Do Not Always Trust a Scientist to Be in Your Best Interest!!!

I have a left-handed nephew. Genius level IQ and a brilliant coder. Also a high-level Tae Kwon Do black belt. He's different, in the best possible way.

As a left-hander, I sfound similar research interesting when I encountered it decades ago.

Stop boasting. I am almost jealous.

@Jolanta

Intelligence and humor don't guarantee kindness.

My father and older sister were masters of mean, funny insults. Their cruelty made me curl up inside myself, like a mollusk avoiding a pin.

@LiterateHiker So true. What someone perceives to be funny can be very painful to someone els.

You all have some pretty cool traits. Having read all these responses, I regret to say that I'm right-handed.

Let me guess. Was the scientist a leftie 😉

What about ambidextrous folks like myself. I write lefty, throw righty, play drums righty, use a fork with either, sew with either, and use most hand tools including a hammer with either.

I was born a lefty, but the powers that be, beat the Lord into me as a child. I found out that was born left handed, when I had a brain scan.

That happened to my youngest son. He actually had a teacher tell him that he was the Devil's spawn. Unfortunately I knew nothing of this until a few years ago.

@kiramea, your sons teacher, sounds like an asshole

Left handed here, of course.

I'd be a little leery of making any connection to individuals, individual variation is pretty wide. That being said, fascinating that the rise of human language is almost certainly linked somehow to our very unusual species predilection for right handedness. I hadn't heard that before, thanks for posting.

This is very interesting. My youngest son is a left hand guy, and he is particularly good at verbal communication. He's a Fireman/Paramedic in Houston and has to be able to calm people down when they are stressed. He's very good at it. I sent the links to him. I'm sure he will show his big brother....LOL

I'm not left or right handed, I am cross-dominant or mixed-handed. There are some facts about handedness in the link I posted.

I believe the term is, "ambidextrous."

No, that is not correct. There is a difference. See the article I posted on a later thread in this forum.

good to know ,interesting info

Took them long enough. I guess it shouldn't be surprising though, because it was linked to brain development rather than physical development. Now the next question to ask is why are there so many more right handed people, since it implies some sort of evolutionary advantage. What is it about having weaker connectivity between the right homologous language network and the default-mode network (DMN) and salience network that is so disadvantageous to left handedness?

There's an evolutionary advantage to having language, which as a side effect created a predilection for right handedness. Being mostly right handed is like Sickle Cell Anemia, an unfortunate genetic side effect to the huge genetic advantage of being resistant to malaria. Fortunately, most of us being right handed is mostly irrelevant.

@Druvius I think the real answer is going to be significantly more complex than that, particularly because I have noticed that left handed individuals can talk, and the study seems to suggest that left handed people are actually superior communicators.

There also seems to be evidence that left handed individuals have more communication between the left and right hemispheres. It may be as simple as that this process of transmitting language, typically situated in the left homologous across the corpus collosum to the right hemispheres motor region is just less efficient. and selection pressure gradually dismissed it.

It could also be as complicated as the slightly different brain structure lead to heightened risk of neurological disorders. The study show that these same genes have association with Parkinson's disease and auditory hallucinations.

This study proves that there is a difference in the way language is processed in the brains of left vs. right handed individuals, but it makes no claims whatsoever as to any evolutionary pressures. to quote the study:

"Another unresolved issue is whether such a population bias in handedness is under genetic influence."

There are too many leaps in logic here, and our understanding of the brain is much to limited. We will have to wait for more information to become available.

Really.

@ChurchLess

Here's another link to the study:

[fox43.com]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:398459
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.