Agnostic.com

15 12

10 Valuable Things Extroverts Can Learn from Introverts

There are gems in this article. Like all personality traits, extroversion and introversion are on a scale from low to high.

Many people have a mix of both. Basically, extroverts recharge with people. Introverts recharge with quiet, alone time.

My daughter Claire is an introvert: a deep soul who needs alone time. Claire is also empathetic and a natural group leader. She makes friends easily.

"Claire, how can you stand having two, high-energy, enthusiastic parents?" I asked when she was 15. I was driving her somewhere while she viewed me with the disgust only a teenage daughter can aim at her mother.

"I ignore you both," Claire replied, looking straight ahead. "Perfect answer, honey!" I cried, laughing so hard I had to pull over. She rewarded me with a tiny grin.

Claire's dad is a high-energy, inwardly-shy introvert who gets exhausted presenting to an audience. An art teacher, Terry recharges doing his art. He thinks out loud, an extrovert trait.

A high-energy extrovert, I recharge by hiking and reading. Mountains are my sanctuary.

Your thoughts?

[huffpost.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm an extrovert, but trying to co-parent 4 kids with an ex who hates my guts and hold down a fairly demanding job means I'm definitely a low-energy extrovert.

I'm a well-adapted introvert. Many people are surprised to hear that because I can speak in front of an audience or a camera, and be very social. But after doing anything like that for an hour or sometimes less, my enthusiasm runs out and I crave solitude. I can cycle through it, but I always need more private time than public time.

I don't think those traits are exclusive of introverts, I do not consider myself an introvert by any means but I believe I possess all of the "things" the article suggests we extroverts do not possess but introverts do. Completely in disagreement with the content of the article because it does not represent my personal case.

For many years I would converse and drink with others one night and relax quietly with a good book the second night. That was how i socialized. Am I an introverted extrovert?

@DenoPenno

Like most people, you are a mix of introvert and extrovert.

I definitely recharge with quiet, alone time. Being out in nature is very soothing, relaxing. Hiking or flat water kayaking can be very restorative

CS60 Level 7 Sep 6, 2019

Interesting article ! Thanks for sharing. It makes me feel good about myself as an introvert. Like they say : " it's not always fun" though. People seem less attracted to us, but if they knew ! They would feel understood and valuable, and I can be funny too.

People need to learn the term AMBIVERT and stop calling themselves extroverted introverts or introverted extroverts dangit. 😛

@demifeministgal Ambivert sounds like some type of medication to me. That's why I don't use the word LOL

Why? There are extremes in everything.

Agreed. I'm an ENFP - its in our nature to ambivert. I'm smack dab in the middle of extrovert<-->introvert scale, I swing one way some days, other days the other.

@Holysocks cuz words have meanings? And if one is an equal mix of both there's a word for that

@AmelieMatisse silly goose.... you must be thinking of ambien 😉 😛

I am an introverted extrovert.

I’m an extroverted introvert! Lol. But only a little. And only sometimes. So mostly an introvert. Hehe

I agree with those being good qualities but they aren’t limited to introverts. I’m an extrovert and am really respectful of boundaries. And I’ve had introverted partners who were lousy listeners.

UUNJ Level 8 Sep 6, 2019

Especially when a big match is on!!!

Great article. Definitely me. As an extreme introvert I know the exhaustion of dealing with "hoomans". 🙄

As for your hiking though:

These are good qualities. But even though I am an introvert I don’t necessarily have them

That's a very good question, never really thought about it. I used to lean more on the introvert side of the fence, but now as I keep getting old, I realize that I need more human interaction every day

I would like human interactions on the weekend !! Can easily spend 5 days alone. Actually I have no interaction...which is not fun or healthy. I'll continue trying.

@Nathalie_Quebec I know the feeling, that's exactly the place I am and have been for too long

I am like your daughter. Most people think I an an extrovert, as I mingle easily, can sell, present and so forth. But I am very much an introvert; I draw my energy from me, not others. I like being with myself.

I am basically an introvert but in certain situations I can schmoze and be charming. When I had my art gallery I spent a lot of time dealing with artists and also being with customers and attendees at monthly openings. I didn't have a problem being "on" but in regular life I can sit off to the side and just listen in. Maybe it is more about not wanting to waste time anymore on uninteresting conversations. Also I think more and more people tend to be pedantic in conversation or pushy when it comes to their opinions. I hate conversations that turn into shouting matches. Yeah - I'll stay home and read a book.

We're simpatico on several levels.
Linda & I are both extreme introverts. I'm amazed we actually found each other.
My only anomalous behavior would be decision making. I make decisions in less than 20 seconds, at the most.

Having read the article, I'm confused.
I'm both intro and extro simultaneously in many of the descriptions. It could be because I am an Asperger's who grew up as a loner, with very few real friends (3/4?) and then flipped. (Probably as a defence mechanism.)

@Petter

The article used broad generalizations. Some points resonated with me.

I'm a mix of introvert and extrovert, too.

Sounds like you outgrew your shyness like my ex-husband.

@MissKathleen oh yes Lol Lot of divorce for me too. Husband : divorce Family : divorce People who think I'm too different : divorce

@Nathalie_Quebec Agnostic.com: in love for life???

@Petter what do you mean ?

@Nathalie_Quebec Just that you'll never want to divorce Agnostic.com

@Petter you're right ! The only sad thing is, for dating, most interesting prospects live in the US... I'm in Canada. But love the concept for sure.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:398692
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.