Agnostic.com

28 4

Anyone try Facebook dating yet?

For thise that haven't heard of it Im refering to the new Facebook dating feature that just rolled out a few days ago.

I signed up but Im not sure if I did it right. It seems limited. The only questions they ask for preferences is Religion, distance, age, and kids.

In the end it doesnt seem like you can browse beyond that. I don't see any matches at all. Im not sure if I am supposed to. It seems like there would be at least a few atheist agnostic or others within my age and distance..

If it is such that you only see people who match each others criteria I actually like that. That way the wider public can't snoop as easily. Thats what I dislike the most about regular dating apps.
Facebook knows so much about us and is perfected sending targeted crap to the right people. This could actually be a perfect use. I would like them to show me other horny people in my area that like and follow the same things. Even better if they don't tell all the other nosy local people and spammers my preferences.

I am uncomfortable that it uses my real first name and that can't be changed. Mine is unique and would give away my real identity with a google search..

Edit- Its not fully rolled out in my area yet so tjays why I don't see matches. Apparently it shows them one at a time and you can show interest or pass and take a second look later if you want.

MsAl 8 Sep 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't know exactly what algorothm FB uses to send me suggested friends, but even though i rarely follow up on any of the, FB clearly is tracking a great amount of info about me, and my social networks. Im assumind dating will just be another data bit in the algorithm.

FB keeps suggesting I befriend the former boyfriend of a woman Iā€™d spent some time with recently.. How fucked up is that šŸ˜‰

I have given up on dating

@LetzGetReal Open to meeting women was set when I opened this account. . . . Giving up is recent.

I would give up on dating too, but it kills time and doesn't cost anything.

Never heard of it. Thanks for posting this.

I have chatted with a few prospects, nothing worth dating as of yet.

I figured out its not completely rolled out yet in my area. I made a profile but they haven't opened it up for matches or searching yet.

Are you able to search all the profiles or only the ones that they match you with?

I saw that itā€™s available in my area but Iā€™m leery. How private is it? I donā€™t necessarily want my mom and kids seeing that activity. They know Iā€™m dating but Iā€™d like to keep it separate.

I deactivated all my dating apps a few weeks ago because it was seriously affecting my self esteem and self worth

It automatically blocks your friends list. Depending on your preference it either suggests friends of friends so you have people in common or blocks them too so it's less likely to be seen by people who know you..

I do know what you mean about the dating apps. This is the first I used any since after my divorce in 2011. That was for other woman and it seemed more fun at the time. This is scary and stressfull..šŸ¤Ø

@LimitedLight Your profile is not shown to anyone on your friends list. It is separate from your regular profile. Also other people in dating have no access to your regular profile. Depending on your choice the Friends of people on your friends list can also be blocked from seeing your profile.

@LimitedLight Im pretty sure I wouldn't participate if Tjere was a chance my friends and family would see my profile.

They do have a secret crush feature for that, but I do t have crushes on any of my friends.

@MsAl Iā€™ve been on it for a week or so. I didnā€™t add any additional security features. It has my first name and I can see if we have any mutual friends. I like that because I can ask them if I want to know more. I believe you can turn that feature off.

Iā€™m pretty sure no one on my personal Facebook page can see Iā€™m on the dating one.

I may try this but I think it is Facebook's way of trying to get more on you. My user name there is the same as here and I do know some people from all over. FB seems really confused as they show me pics of those whom I might know. I like that because I'm a bit of a political activist. I really do not care about "likes" or sharing on a dare or otherwise. I'm also sick of all the damned stuff about religion from everyone and also my family members.

The funniest thing about this user name and Facebook is that a few of the Trump supporters always get into telling me that most likely I did vote illegally and they even question my citizenship. Jesus Christ! I bet their Orange God is really happy and proud of them. I was born in St. Louis, Missouri and I did 3 years active in the Army.

I did it 2 years ago and met a couple of people-not quality dating.

I'm leery about signing up for Facebook dating due to Facebook's repeated privacy violations.

Cambridge Analytics is a case in point.

I'll try it when it becomes available for me. I've got nothing to lose.

I need to check it, now that Iā€™m in Colorado - there might be more ladies here than in North Dakota.

Went through it all then it said it wasnā€™t yet available in my area. šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø

If you've ever watched an episode of Catfish you know that 99% involve a fake FB profile, so I don't trust them to do a very good job making matches with actual people.

GwenC Level 7 Sep 9, 2019

I met my current partner in a FB polyamory group. But that was a user generated space and not a dating app. I am not surprised, as you say, probably a good use of the data for users.

I am on FB, but not very active on it. I mainly use it for messaging with friends. I am not interested in using their dating app mainly for the likelihood of scammers abounding and not wanting my full identity available to the people on the dating app. I prefer to only give my full name to women after meeting them in person twice or more.

i heard but didn't try

I havenā€™t really gotten on Facebook since 2010 or so.

Personally I have found, through bitter experience, that dating sites are a waste of time. 95% of the "Women" ask for money. 4% are damaged goods. (They cannot forget the man they have left) 1% might be genuine. By the time you have found a genuine woman, you have given up the will to live. Best to except the inevitable and realise hugs and kisses have passed you by. You have a greater chance of sitting on a flying pig than an hour of pleasant rumpy pumpy. You might think I am just a tad bitter and to be honest I am. Hayho it is what it is.

There is lots of spam on the internet Its unfortunate. I just pass up spammy looking profiles with no info and paople.who like mine and obviously disnt read.my profile. Probably about 90%. You are right. Actually more..

As for the damaged goods part you are gonna be hard pressed to find many virgins out there.these days. Everyone has a past if they aren't very young. I'm not sure that real life is much different.

Yet,another way FB intwines itself in our lives? Another revenue stream? I understand,it's possible to track a person with their cell phone off....

I guess it would be hard to do much of anything without big businesses that do immoral things these days. I feel worse about my involvement in buying gas and cheap clothing. I'm not all that worried about the tracking for commercial purposes.

@margay With a post you just see your friends.. Its a very different thing. Dating shows you all the single people in your area and allows you to contact them while putting up some safeguards so its reasonably safe to check everyone out. It's a useful tool.

No can't trust it

bobwjr Level 10 Sep 11, 2019

I signed up. I figured what the heck.

..Iā€™m facebook avoiding at the moment šŸ™‚

Varn Level 8 Sep 10, 2019

Facebook rolls or all sorts of half assed features that are super limited but people still use them because it's Facebook.

No, I use plenty of fish for dating šŸ˜‰ did put myself on another and canā€™t seem to delete my profile, but pof is still mostly free and Iā€™ve not found the paid ones to be any better.

@margay oh thatā€™s a shame, at least youā€™re giving different things a go šŸ™‚ I hope you enjoy yourself while youā€™re waiting.

I signed up into it but have yet to see anything from it

i don't use a smart phone and so since i do everything on the web browser can't see it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:400074
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.