Agnostic.com

19 19

Alaska's ridiculous summer is a red flag for climate change

This summer showed Alaska is 50 years ahead of climate change projections.

"Melting glaciers are not just an Alaska story," a climate scientist said. "Melted glaciers raise sea levels. This is a Miami story. This is a Charleston Bay story."

Raging fires. Smoky skies. Collapsing glaciers. Rivers are too hot for fish to spawn.

[cnn.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We are all doomed so we may as well enjoy ourselves.

Unfortunately, this is the new normal. Better get your hiking in before yo have to swim half way up the trail

CS60 Level 7 Sep 10, 2019

It is possible that the world climate is going through a normal blip, but considering the evidence it may well be better to go with human assisted climate change.
I have seen the climate change in my lifetime, thus the likes of Trump must have seen the same. It is his job to be smart and represent the American peoples on the world stage. If he fails, then ALL AMERICANS FAIL.
It is now too late to the change, but we humans may still be able to mitigate some of the effects through join action. In the USA, the big corporations must pay and change. Pretty much the same elsewhere.
The Science must be studied objectively and quickly for all of our sakes. It is quite possible that through the rise in temperatures globally, storms will grow more powerful, heat-waves hotter and then a sudden mini ice age for Europe, Russia, Japan, Canada and the USA.

People do not believe in science, but believe they have an invisible friend in the sky who watches over everything

At this point,  we have so many red flags all over the planet ,  I'm incredulous that anyone still chooses to ignore them all .

But then ... we know how some folks are ...

We have ample proof of our failing life support system yet there are many (even on this site) that deny there is a problem. There are also many (I would suggest the majority) who don't realize the true causes and what we need to do to reduce the overall carbon footprints and greenhouse gas emissions. The state of our environment needs to be made the no. 1 priority above others especially those emotional, feel good issue. Mother nature will not give us a break because we do things that help ourselves especially when it comes at the expense of other species and our limited resource base.

When you have climate change deniers in the government nothing gets done.

I can't believe how stupidly in denial some people can be.

...and stupidly in love with a certain President. geez.

Maybe the human race is too stupid to survive. 😟

And yet a lot of people keep denying the science of climate change! 😮

And many more deny the hard choices we need to make to alleviate it.

The same way 1 cold winter/summer does not disprove climatic changes, 1 warm summer also does not prove.
Always focus on long time and many places statistics.

Weather means nothing.

Climate is the amount money in your bank account, weather is the amount of change in your pocket. The correlation only appear in the long range.

Okay.

The ice sheets have pretty much melted.

Sea levels are rising.

Globally glaciers are disappearing.

Droughts have been on the rise.

Globally the number of people being displaced by flooding has dramatically risen.

Things in the bank account don't look real good.

@Heathenman See, I agree with the scientific consensus, but all you cited are anecdotal evidences and a case here and there.
Our brain is hard wired to use this facts to create a pattern,this is easy, makes sense, saves energy.
BUT the same time you can list this stuff, deniers can find massive amounts of counter examples, so citing factsm phenomena etc can introduce or be an example, but they do not prove, indicate or show anything.

Only statistical methods, long range measurements etc will really give an answer, and this kind of data can't be counter argued by deniers without falling into conspiracy theories (basically as they can't argue against the numbers they need to disqualify them).

I am just being overzealous on the rationality of discussion, sorry =)

@Pedrohbds

Please don't apologise. I get where you are coming from.

I guess my counter argument would be this; Numbers don't lie.

This single season is a red flag, not because it is the hottest summer in human recorded Alaskan history, but because it is the hottest summer in Alaska according to Mother Nature's recordings.

Icebergs which have taken hundreds of years to form, and many which didn't melt along with the ending of the last ice age thousands of years ago, just became liquid this summer.

If the temperatures of Alaska had been recorded from 40,000 years ago to the present day, and then graphed, this summer is the peak of the graph.

@Pedrohbds Unfortunately, the anecdotal evidence has become overwhelming. It is global and involves the polar regions and even the oceans. What does one need to see before one understand the severity of the issue. Often, by then it is too late (and I suspect it is already).

While I'm concerned, I can't help but to think this is fitting justice.

The residents of Alaska all receive a royalty from the oil pumped from their state.

It was no surprise that Sarah Palin chanted drill baby drill. I hope that dingy bitch learns to chant swim baby swim.

And what will you say to all the people living elsewhere, when the shit hits ? We all have a hand in what's happening all over the world, and none of us are likely to escape the consequences.

@evergreen

What I would say to them is what I would say to you.

In the U.S., citizens put together a bill which reforms the U.S. electric grid.

(Many people don't know much about the grid. In large, most of the grid is owned by energy companies. Most of the wires, in and above the ground, are situated on land which was purchased by tax payers through eminent domain. Energy can be cheap. It can also be clean, but because individual corporations own the grid, they will usually sell their electricity first before they buy others. This is why wind farms in Texas often have to give away their electricity.)

The U.S. grid sucks. I look at it and think how fucken archaic it is. Anyway, if the bill made a Unified grid, not one which is like a patched quilt of today's. The new grid would be public property. If it was formed of insulated, subterranean supplies and returns, and the bill gave presidence to those who produced clean energy, then you would watch the U.S.'s carbon footprint disappear. More over you would watch much land return to a native state.

The carbon build up likely isn't all about fossil fuels. It is more likely about how we eat. Agriculture is destroying and has destroyed much land. Yes a corn field, like any other crop extracts carbon from the air, but the amount of carbon a cornfield extracts is less than what the native landscape would extract. The exception to this would be desert farming.

If you change the grid, energy becomes cheap. Healthy in door hydroponic farming is vivable on a commercial mass production level. Farm land is no longer plowed. The native landscape returns. The environment cools.

@Heathenman Ah yes ... IF.

@evergreen

. ..WHEN?

There is a one minute clip of the CBS Evening News on youtube of Trump cronies trying to fire NOAA for refusing to back up Trump's lies about Alabama. Half the comments are "fake news" and "this is all they have?" and "the original forecast said Alabama was in danger" and "forecasts are inexact anyway" and "the mainstream media lies again" and on and on.

I've come to realize a sizable number of our citizenry has always been dragged kicking and screaming into reality by the rest of us, only eventually to pretend they were there all along. We're going to have to keep dragging them...relentlessly.

Oh, beautiful for noxious skies,
For acrid pungent rain,
For fetid mounts of maladies
Above the putrid plain!
Amerikkka! Amerikkka!
God shat his grace on thee,
And crowned thy brood with whiter hoods
From sea to shining sea.

@PBuck0145 i wish i played an instrument other than the kazoo!

There are so many red flags.

It's called entropy cold rushes to heat to equalize, ends up swapping heat to North

northern Canada was just as bad In alert at the top of green land areatemperatures o 17Celius that is in the 60farenheight unhears of

This can't really be happening. Ask Palin,,,,,,,you know which one.

Yep but ameriKKKan Government do not cared then or now.

Individuals can do little...we even seem unable to get behind our ‘good’ elected officials and start a united effort! Forget trump and his minions...leave them to sink with the ship! The rest of us could make more progress than is taking place at the moment!

Not singularly, but together we could. I’m moving closer to work so that I don’t have to drive. But yes, I think there’s an element of things being seen to be done, when in reality it’s not, just to calm people, ( which is infuriating).
I remember being in Europe in the ‘90s and people were being fined for not putting things in the right bins for recycling etc. Some people have been serious about these issues for a long time. And then there are people like Trump! Climate change, what climate change?!

@girlwithsmiles the oder of magnitude individuals can do to help is so small that lets say a whole small city works very deficient on population level, but the local factory due to breaches on legislation/saving some bucks operate a little bit below efficiency...
The output of that small town is inefficient.
If the industries do not do their part (forced by government) there is nothing we can do as individuals.

Mmm i can see a paradigm shift as people begin to take climate change more seriously. It’s not a small thing if the world changes it’s view. Some Individuals/ towns/ states/ Counties may take longer to catch up but your best chance at change is within your own circle of influence. If you feel something is worthwhile leading by example has got to be the best start. I may do less protesting and rallying as I get older, but I never give up believing that humanity has got the ability to solve problems. I’ll keep working towards that end until I die in whatever way I can.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:400128
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.