Agnostic.com

22 7

Dead fish photos. A turnoff?

Today a man messaged me who didn't bother to write a profile. In each of his photos, he shows off dead fish.

First impression

1. Obsessed with fishing.
  2. No other activities.
  3. Sunburns easily.

POOF! His profile vanished after I declined.

I like Dave Barry's take on fishing:

"Fishing is very similar to golf because in both sports you hold a long skinny thing in your hand and nothing happens for days at a time."

What do you think of dead fish photos?

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

He does not sound like a good catch to me

This is the only kind of dead fish photo I like.

@ATDayHiker

Ugh. Ick.

@LiterateHiker The story behind that photo is that I wandered into an Italian restaurant in Vienna Austria one evening with a plan to have some pasta. The waiter talked me into having the fish of the day and actually brought out a whole sea bass to show me. I decided to try it and was expecting a cut and grilled fish to be provided, so I was a bit surprised when they put that plate in front me. It turned out to be tasty in spite of the unusual presentation (the cannoli I had for dessert was even better).

I wonder what the chef's vision was... if the intent was to show a lemon being cuckolded by an orange and fish...he nailed it.

@LiterateHiker Are you a vegetarian or vegan?

@demifeministgal

Not a vegetarian or vegan. I eat a healthy diet of fresh fruits and vegetables and whole grains. For protein: eggs, organic chicken breast, lean pork or 99% fat free ground turkey breast.

He was a scammer. lol (Dude had two pics with dead fish). That's why he went "Poof".

But yes that's off putting. Some folks are vegan or vegetarian. It's a bit much.
Get a pic instead of you - out on the water. Way better way to fish.

I'm vegetarian so not a way to attract me.

Carin Level 8 Sep 11, 2019

I am the same with posting mountain selfies. If god wanted me to be there, he would have made it flat or at least stairs😉

@LucasfromGR

What's wrong with mountain photos? As a passionate hiker, I love it!

@LiterateHiker Same as avid fisherman.

@LucasfromGR much prettier than Dead Fish Photos!

@LucasfromGR

It's not the same. While hiking, I don't kill fish or animals.

@LucasfromGR how so? So basically anyone posting pics of themselves engaging in hobbies then?

@vjohnson51

Thank you so much! I just turned 66.

Regular exercise, a healthy diet, protecting my skin from the sun, never drank soda pop, avoid alcohol and not smoking gets results.

@LiterateHiker whatever pictures a person chooses to post, they say something descriptive about the poster. Hiking pictures describe you very positively. Fishing pictures, well, some women will be attracted to them, I guess.

My dad was a very good fisherman, and we always went on fishing trips together.

Dead fish photos bring back a lot of good memories for me.

Eating the dead fish was good brain food too. Without it, I might be a Christian.

BD66 Level 8 Sep 11, 2019

Sounds fishy to me

...all the Icathyoligists were scrambling and pointing....

I hate seeing people posting dead fish on social media. I am opposed to sport fishing, even when releasing them. Studies have shown that fish experiance pain so I find it hard to justify catch and release just for fun.

Fishing to eat is another story, as catching from the wild is a gazillion times better than a fish farm, I imagine.

I'd rather see someone posting pics of saving animals. That's a turn on.

This is the only "dead fish" photo I have. Only because I found it humorous

No profile verbiage and pictures of dead fish? Block him......

@Mitch07102

POOF! His profile disappeared yesterday.

@LiterateHiker Seems he did not operate on a high level........

From the Dead Kennedys track 'Winnebago Warrior':

Kill some fish down by the creek
Hang their picture by the sink
Show your grandson who's the boss

Kinda sums it up for me.

If it is a turnon . . . . it's probably time for them to visit a shrink.

Fishy would never do that to you

bobwjr Level 10 Sep 10, 2019

You seem to attract that type. LOL

@ChurchLess

For some reason, I attract many men. Slender and athletic, I stick out among overweight Americans.

Although I dress modestly and walk fast, men's eyes follow me everywhere. Even married men with their wives. Wolfish.

@LiterateHiker Oh, really? Didn't notice.

I've heard about some of the counterproductive stuff men put in their profiles, but Dead Fish is a new one. It seems just as clueless as when women post pictures of their grandchildren.

There's fishing and fishing. Sitting by a canal, throwing ground bait into the water and catching uneatable fish which you put in a keepnet until the end of the day and then release them is one type

Fly fishing for trout on an English chalk stream or highland burn is another. I would not even consider the first but have spent many enjoyable days doing the second.
As for the dead fish photos bizarre. Reminds me of a scene from the Simpsons. Fat Tony describing someone "he sleeps with the fishes" Homers reply "you mean he is dead" Fat Tony "no, he sleeps with the fishes "

I really dislike them ! Enough so, that I'll click on past a profile that has one (or several).

First off , as a vegan, the idea of someone dispassionately holding up a dead, or dying fish is something I find depressing. To me, it speaks to a low level of sensitivity.

And, at the risk of over generalizing, I've noticed there seems to be a correlation between guys that love to fish, and interest in little else.

It kind of says to me ... " humph ! me caveman provider - you, wo-man ! " (drags into his cave...)

I know I may have mis-read some profiles thus, but then, you rarely get a second chance to make a good first impression.

Are you sure the fish were dead? I have several pictures of fish on my phone, but every one of them went back into the water after the photo was taken. Some people have fish mounted for display, I am happy with photos.

JimG Level 8 Sep 11, 2019

@JimG

The fishes' mouths were mangled. It was obvious they were dead.

Not even a thought comes to mind.... The one thing would be "weird" but then I would become the judging weird one by saying that, so I didn't say it 😁😁

Does sushi count?

Dead fish certainly are not the most pleasant thing to look at ,a big negative or majority of people ,no need to post them unless it is related to an enviromental issue

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:400542
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.