Agnostic.com

12 14

America's sweeping tide of diversity

America is more racially diverse than at any point in history, and racial minorities are becoming more geographically dispersed than ever before.

Nationally, Hispanics and Asian Americans are the fastest-growing racial minority groups, increasing by 18.6% and 27.4%, respectively, between 2010 and 2018.

Meanwhile, the nation's white population has grown only 0.1% since 2010 and is projected to decline over the next decade.

The white population's decline is widely blamed for the rise of white nationalist extremism and anti-immigrant sentiment. But the demographics also show that diversity and immigration are key to future U.S. economic growth.

The country's rapidly changing racial makeup is exposing a growing cultural gap between generations.

"Baby boomers grew up in an era where America was mostly white, and the biggest racial minority was African Americans who were still mostly segregated," Frey noted. "Millennials and post-millennials are much more open to diversity and integration."

[axios.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It isn't merely the population change. If left alone, most white people (like me) don't care what color Americans will be after we're dead. Many of our families are already multiracial. IT'S THE UNRELENTING PROPAGANDA, HATE SPEECH, AND FEAR MONGERING!

I think the future is mulatto. To hell with "racial purity". The only purity that matters to me comes from the heart.
I was born in Montreal and I lived all of my life in town and in the suburbs. In much of its history, Montreal has always welcomed people from pretty much all over the world. The city would just be unthinkable without its diversity.

We used to be known as the world's melting pot.

With Trump we have become the world's melting pit.

The low birth rate among the white demographic has been surmised to be one of the reasons for the rise in anti abortion laws.

Diversity where I live now, in Butte, MT has decreased markedly from its high point in the early 1900’s, when “no smoking” signs had to be written in 16 different languages in the mine entrances. Granted, these were predominantly white people (mostly Irish), but there was a significant Chinese population.

The town of my childhood, Hicksville, NY, has changed from a 100 percent white suburb of NYC to a diverse population of Indian, Vietnamese, Whites and African Americans. When I went to high school (with 3,200 other students), we had one black and he was a science teacher. Today the teaching staff is more repressentative of the national percentages of each ethnicity.

I agree with that assessment about millenials... in my nation the fastest growing immigrant groups are east asians, south asians and latinos and my city is VERY diverse. But whoever is blaming changing demographics on white nationalism is mistaken and wrong. White nationalism and racism is part of America's history and has been an unresolved problem in the USA since your constitution was officiated. Whether there is a growing or shrinking white population, white nationalist extremism will forever be present in the USA. That's my opinion. I am perfectly happy being proven wrong and the USA having no white nationalist extremists left.

@Bushshaker huh? what are you on about? 😕

The "one drop rule" doesnt apply to whites. Poor babies.

Immigration fuels the economy. When immigrants enter the labor force, they increase the productive capacity of the economy and raise GDP. Their incomes rise, but so do those of natives. It’s a phenomenon dubbed the “immigration surplus”
From George W. Bush Center
[bushcenter.org]

CS60 Level 7 Sep 12, 2019

Millennials and post Millennials are the way of the future ,and diversity is here to stay ,Keep on the good side of millennials as they are the ones who will be looking after us baby boomers

When the old white prejudice and religious politicians die off and the younger enlightened leaders take over it will be a much better country.

Yes I agree but in the mean time they are brain washing a younger generation to take there place,,hopefully they get fewer and fewer

I certainly hope not

Another example of the stupidity of Trump's ill-conceived policies.

I agree but I'll add a proviso that tRump is more of a symptom than a cause.

We were making great progress -- we had one minority president and we were seriously close to electing another (if you can call a woman a minority except in how she is discriminated against).

But the weakening white male establishment threw a fit and gifted us with a tragedy. We were advancing but now we've hugely slipped back.

Now we get to see if we can recover or if we're depraved enough to destroy our country to avoid sharing it.

The best part is we ain't going back.

I'd love to trade information about this with you as it is becoming part of my studies.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:401219
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.