Agnostic.com

54 12

Did you ever find your calling? Or, are you still looking?

Have you been satisfied with a field of work? Or, are you still looking for the "right thing?"

Ever career change?

I've had two major career paths. A business major who was in Project Coordination & Social Work, then Finance... went to teaching. And, none was my "calling." Perhaps there is no such thing, but I haven't ever had a very fulfilling career that felt like a good fit. You?

silvereyes 8 Mar 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

54 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No, still looking.

Many are called, but few are chosen. I have had many walks down many paths. No regrets here. I am still walking and still finding more paths to follow. Life truly is a river.

I kinda know how your feeling since I finished school well even before than I went from shop assistant cleaner tour guide train driver youth worker fencing removalist land scapper patio installer trades assistant project manager researcher admin receptionist and Im 37yrs I've never been settled I've enjoyed all those titles but never felt I belonged but I have been awakened and enlightened and feel I've tested my destined path but I couldn't find the sign let alone the gate of entry now I know I'm nearly touching the gate in this darkness I'm just waiting for someone to turn the light on for me to find the gate to my path of fulfilment pleasure freedom exploring limitless boundless inhabitant journey

Yes low and behold it was retirement

From advertising career to career in music at the age of 25. Definitely found my calling. Gave up money for passion. Still playing. Never looked back. 🙂

My work history is long and somewhat boring. LOL! TBH, I still don't know what I wanna be when I grow up. I have some fantasies about what I'd LIKE to do, but in my current situation they are rather unrealistic. On the plus side, I am earning more than I ever have before and there is some potential for me to earn more. I am also building a retirement, so maybe when I "retire," I can look into something more fulfilling. Some things I have fantasized about:

Being a Novelist
Owning and operating a Gym
Owning and operating a Pub

As more of a fun job, in retirement, I wouldn't mind working in HI or Disneyland/WDW around vacationers. I think it would be great fun to work (part-time) in a resort/vacation environment.

Ok, replying to myself here (and anyone who will listen). My post-retirement "dream job" I think would be as one of those white hat security/ambassador guys (typically older dudes) who walk around the Disney parks. They are technically security, but are constantly answering questions about the parks. I'd excel at this. I know DL and Disney Calif Adventure like the back of my hand. Pretty familiar with WDW too. So if any of you are in a position to hire me in this capacity, speak up! LOL!

Still looking, doubt I will ever find it

I've changed careers more times than I can count. Ok I can actually count that high, but you get my point. I have found my calling after years of searching, but I've always been happy with anything I've done. I think just having the attitude that whatever I'm doing is amazing even if it's washing dishes had kept me satisfied in my jobs. There's always something that's great about every position, even if it doesn't seem that way. Now I'm really happy though traveling about looking at rocks.

The Greatest Secret of Life is to find out what you really want to do and make money at it. Unfortunately most aspiring positions require one to be a two faced fraudulent two tongued person of no moral character. Politicians are amongst the highest paid. Professional Sportsman which includes being a Steroid inhibitor. Priests or Clergyman includes being sexually deranged on multiple levels that carry prison terms. Movie, Music or Theatric Professional has multiple deranged personality setbacks that after years of drug abuse will add to a shortened life beyond repair if it were to go longer so may as well Party Hearty and Die High. I would consider being able to wake up and look in the Mirror and have a rather certain serenity about your position in life and those enclosed with in it. The Higher up the Ladder you climb, the more people you must knock off to get up their and the farther you have to fall at some point of your endurance.

Shows you why the heirachary system dose not work. It is much better to change yourself and love what you do. The rest are just mosquito bites in my world.

I am very lucky that (1) my calling is something that makes a good living and (2) I found it early in life. The only thing that sucks is the massive student loans which at 55 I am just on the verge of repaying.

I've come to the conclusion that I'll never actually get a job that I'm passionate about, because if I do, I'll lose my passion for it. I've got to keep my work and my hobbies separate, or my hobbies will become as boring as my job.

Find my calling? Hell I can barely remember where I put my phone..

lol very good

I've been doing the web development thing since college — so about 20 years — but I feel pretty burned out. I have experience in graphic design, logo design and branding, promotional writing and editing, and so on, so I may try focusing on PR and marketing when I move on from my current job.

Still looking.

I rather feel that I have several, which is part of the reason I have not achieved nearly any of them.

I have too many callings. Too many awesome things to do in this world. I could never narrow it down to one. Maybe you're the same.

Many years ago I went to a career counselor at a local college. I wasn't attending, but it was a college for women, and to new attract students, they were offering a number of summer programs, seminars, and non-credit courses, so I gave it a shot. I was enormously glad I did.

I had been working in business, banking and insurance, but found so much of it boring. Tried to take a class in basic risk management theory and literally fell asleep. The Career counselor provided a series of tests - most of the standard ones that they use - personality, aptitude, interest, etc. As they came back we discussed each one, and guess what? I was in the wrong job! After about 2 months of weekly one-on-one meetings, we came up with a plan to help me get into something more suited for me. Within a year, I was working at the same company but making about 15% more money and was much happier - I actually looked forward to going in.

I did make a few more job changes, but knowing what my skills, talents and job needs were really helped more than I ever would have expected. Hope that helps!

Find my calling? Sometimes, I can't even find my phone!

Seriously, in high school, I wanted to be an Electrical Engineer. Later, I moved toward the IT world and gave it a good run. What I have discovered is that I LOVE to build people up and help them find what is best in themselves. What that will lead me to do, I have no idea, but it will be fun and fulfilling. Meanwhile, as a Sound Engineer, I get to do some of that by helping people sound the best they can, whether it is a vocalist or just someone wanting to play some CDs. This'll do, for now.

I think I found at least the general area where I'm happy. Will I remain happy? Maybe, if not, I'll shift. One thing certain though is that regardless of what I do it will have something to do with life sciences. Application may vary but this is where I feel like I belong

I've found my calling. I just have to go through the training required to have a chance of getting hired.

Google Team Rubicon. They are going to hire me, they just don't know it yet.

Haven't found it yet. I rolled all over the job market, from sales to medical and nothing yet has fit.

Still looking... nah... gave my last career 50+ years... enjoyed it from the get go, (90% of the time) retired 10 years ago, got bored, went back to it, found I was still pretty good at it. Retired again 2 years ago.
Like what you do, do what you like n don't make "work/job" of it.

Tomas Level 7 Mar 22, 2018

I found “a” calling, but it turned out to be someone else’s and when I tried to return it, they refused to take it back.

No! Unless, my calling is to be retired. I was happy for many years as a software engineer. But memory issues and of course other medical problems changed my perspective. Now I am writing and trying out some new things to see how my creative side can be a new career path. Still working on it. But in all my years, I was never sure that I knew what I wanted to do. I always felt like there was something more that I could have done.

I don't think I have ever found my calling. I'm not sure exactly what a "calling" is but I know many of us are looking for it. What I have found instead is something that I cannot put a name on. I can look backwards in my own life and see why I did something at the time that I did it. I only know this today and would not have known it then. I know it today because I am honest with myself and I make no excuses because I am only revealing what I find to myself and not to others. Much of this is not pleasant. It also reveals actions at a basic level. Down deep we are all influenced by feelings and sayings that are almost tribal. We can learn from this but to do so we must be honest with ourselves. Drop the mask of the myth of self and underneath you find a totally different self and the principals that the self operates on.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:41158
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.