Agnostic.com

93 11

Would you ever date somebody who is religious, if they respected your beliefs and did not try to sway your decisions?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

93 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have been happily married to such a person for 24 years. We simply respect each other's right to believe as we choose.

No because an integral part of a relationship would be missing, open, honest communication.

No . If " they respect my beliefs " is not a problem for me . That's given or the door will open very fast and in worse case I ll lose a shoe in his ass on his way out .
The point is that I will never respect their brain . No respect for his brain = he ain't gonna see me naked . Ever .
I know my limits and my standards , no point to try them or lower them ✌🏻

Am not dating, but if I were dating then....NO!!!!

I have. Going forward, I will not. I have no desire to censor my thoughts about religions, hypocrites, science, woo, fairy tales, that churches should be taxed, the obscenity of pastors living in absolute luxury, the idiocy of people praying for stuff and not using their brains. And, on and on. I have thoughts on stuff. I want to be free to express the thoughts. And, someday I want a partner who would not be offended or hurt by my thoughts.

I've dated theists in the past. None of them were pushy or anything. I'm just not interested in doing it again.

Yes, but he wouldn't get rid of the other girlfriend.

Nope! Just got out of a relationship with someone very into what I call "woo" and that was enough. He has all these one on one spiritual meetings with people filling his head with non-sense rather than just sharing his problems to the people actually in his life and affected by his problems. Couldn't share anything with me, since "I wouldn't understand" and sure enough when he did share something, it was already so full of nonsense that I indeed couldn't understand. Never again will I connect with someone not based in reality. He never tried to sway me into his beliefs - but I can't respect his.

No. Because you can't live or spend time with someone you can't talk to.

No. I'd throw figs at them instead.

I do my best to just stay away from religious people, as they are usually too illogical for me to stand being around them for more than five minutes. And nearly all of them are the biggest hypocrites in the world!

Welcome to the asylum. Enjoy your stay.

In answer to your question, NO.
Sure, they might start off saying they respect your non-belief, but that
is always a LIE.

They invariably either try to get you to get right with god, or they dump
you for refusing to get right with god.

The "success" stories are not the rule of thumb. Not by a long shot.

Religious women are bored if not abused with religious boys they fuck.....so believer females have seduced me lied to me to get me in their bed....when they decide I am not rich enough to buy them diamonds for their secret church wedding plans they reverse their lies and bribe me with heaven and threaten me with hell.....all they needed to do was say sexual satisfaction was less important than clergy loyalties

Certainly... if they respected my beliefs and accordingly I would respect theirs. I’ve been doing it my whole life.

I'm pretty desperate, so yes I would.

No, I’ve seen to many try and the same thing always happens. They start out OK with an atheist, then try to convince them they should “believe”, and things fall apart. I’m not going to even entertain doing that ever!

It's worse with believers....if they say one agenda does not matter so do other agendae.....you cannot trust MENTAL RESERVATIONS
...PROVISIONAL PROMISES....I don't want to smell kiss or play with believers ever again

IF they are Evangelical there will come a time that they become concerned about your imaginary soul burning forever in some imaginary place that they almost cry because you refuse to "wake up" and give your life to a dead zombie so you can live forever in the sky with an imaginary god. Yes, it is that strong within them and it can destroy that relationship quickly.

Hah! If they are evangelical, I've probably run them off after minute 12! That type doesn't stay "dating interested" for very long around me after they start proselytizing.

Depends on the belief system. And their tolerance for my non belief.

I’m currently on a dating site and if I see that they’re religious, especially Christian, it does put me off I’ve found.

Never, I'm a sapiophile.

Definitely a fair and challenging question. I'd have to say no unless there was an extremely high level of compatibility in EVERY other area that mattered, a strong mutual affection and attraction, and they were a rational and fair-minded enough person that after analyzing the situation I decided there was a high likelihood of me being able to help them see reason and have them become an agnostic and secular-humanist type.

No. The very premise of most religions is conversion, and eventually this "respect" you think you'd get would just show itself to be the hypocrisy and lies all religions thrive on.

That's true, spreading the word is a big part of Christianity, not sure about other religions. I have been told by some Christian's that they lead by example and not by proselytizing. Who knows.

@GreatNani I've always thought that at the very core of every religion is/was a greedy, money-hungry, manipulative and non-believing narcissistic sociopath(s). And since you can't be considered powerful with only a couple of "followers" then the #1 mandate is to make more! You can breed, convert others, or both.

Yeah, love that whole lead by example thing. Hate who and what we hate or we'll hate you behind your back. Unless you're like Jim Bakker, or Haggerty, then do it in secret. Or Ozteen, who just reinterprets it to serve himself...his god WANTS him to be rich!! LMAO.

@LisaFultonave for sure those who lead are about the money. They should be ashamed of putting their homes etc in public. I really have no interest in religious nuts. And they would not want to date me anyway!

@LisaFultonave prosperity gospel! Good God these people are crafty! And embarrassing!

Would not waste my time. I like being around people who are not interested in me meet his church family. Lol

Yes just like I have always been able to love my family that needs religion.

They would have to be a very extraordinary individual for me to even consider it.

Remember Matthew MacConnaughy made love with Jody Foster in the jungles of Arricibo? She plays a great Atheist scientist and he is a popular religious "intellectual" in CONTACT....He votes against her to be in the worm hole machine because of her Atheism publically but privately he tells her the machine might kill her and the pilot xian is killed by a religious saboteur with a bomb attached to high speed moving parts....knowing this....I refuse to be seduced by the smartest most accomplished believer because most will betray Atheism when it counts

I dated someone religious. It did not go well. Lol. I have also dated people that had belief, but were not interested in church or preaching to everyone. I’m ok dating someone who has faith, as long as it’s respectful of other people. They have to give me the same amount of respect I give them. I don’t go around talking about being an atheist all the time. In fact, quite a few don’t know, those that find out are kind of shocked. As I’ve gotten older I’ve gotten less militant about it. I have a live and let live attitude. But I expect the same kind of treatment

I would prefer not to date a religious person. Not even certain that I could. I have been lucky in my life, I guess, to mostly have people in my life who are not religious. But that would be easier than dating a supporter of the current occupant of our WH.

TrumpOLINIbots tend to be religious but there are alleged Atheists here supporting the greedy pussy grabber POLLUTER WAR CRIMINAL profiteering bankster zionist in the White House... www.howiehawkins.us is the only honest candidate to replace TrumpOLINI

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:419243
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.