Agnostic.com

93 11

Would you ever date somebody who is religious, if they respected your beliefs and did not try to sway your decisions?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

93 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would not date a religious person. It's too annoying to deal with their irrationality.

I have. It was not a roaring success.

Deb57 Level 8 Oct 28, 2019

I have dated a few “believers”. I don’t think if they are deeply religious I would meet their standards lol..and I certainly wouldn’t change for them so it wouldn’t work on that level. If someone is not seriously religious or is kind of a peripheral follower I wouldn’t say absolutely not

Depends on the religion and the level of their beliefs.

I'd prefer not to in most cases.

Some men treat religion the way they treat marriage . My wife is married , I'm not . The wife should let me dominate her , I do not have to love , honor , and cherish . Can't remember the last time I went to church , in fact I don't even know where the local church of my religion is , but I've invited a friend from fifty miles away , who does not speak English , to visit you at your house , to talk to you about my religion (so you'll know how to behave ) . I pointed out to that one , that it did not make sense for his friend to drive here from San Antonio to Houston , when we couldn't even speak the same language . But I've already invited him . You didn't ask me first , so call him back and uninvite him , or I won't be hime when he arrives here .

I’ve been married to one for 44 years.

Absolutely not. The ramifications for a woman to date a man of faith is too much to deal with. Men who have religion simply have too many underlying assumptions and expectations that I refuse to deal with.

Yes exactly.... abrahamic faiths position women as the lesser to men, especially fundamentalist variations.... not worth it to be in a relationship where you are viewed as less than by your partner due to gender :/

Sure. Just don't try to covert me.

I stayed in a relationship like that for 32 years, I stayed closeted first to please my mother, then to please my wife, then to advance in my profession. Now that i am out of the closet, and my ex wife has lost her religion and by son is an avowed atheist, I chose to no longer put up with people that I have to fake it for.

Believers yes, and I have. Religious no. There is a difference.

@Allamanda There are many, many people who believe in some higher power and don't believe in religions. Religions are organizations. These people do not go to church or ascribe to these organizations doctrine. Never assume because someone doesn't go to church they are non-believers. I have been with several women and have and have had friends all of my life who fall into this category. This has never ever been a problem for me.

@Allamanda As I said it has never been a problem, not ever. Do you know people who claim to be spiritual, or believe in some universal power, and not belonging to any religion or going to any church? These folks don't believe a word of any religious writings or believe in heaven or hell. They don't want laws based on religious doctrine. l have absolutely no problem with these people.

@Allamanda I have never had such a problem in my life with these folks. I have lived with a couple of them and married another. It was never even a tiny problem.

@Allamanda No, picky. Even the slightest mention of church and I might have sex with them, but I would never get serious. Now I don't think l would have sex with them either.

No. I have enough believers in my life. I need to be with someone I can connect with as an agnostic atheist.

I would have to say -no-. I think this is best out of respect for both parties. Though, it might depend on how strong the religious person's belief is, it is still a major aspect for whether to begin a serious relationship. If I liked a person who was very religious and we had a mutual respect for each others beliefs, I wouldn't be opposed to hanging out as friends, but I don't think it could go any further then that. And it's best if the other person knows exactly where I stand on that as well. Dating and relationships grow strong when both are honest and upfront with each other right from the beginning. No sense in putting time and emotions into something when personal beliefs could possibly become a conflicting subject in the future.

I must confess that religion has never come up before other, more important stuff in my relationships. How they treat me, how good they are with romance and sex and how they behave towards strangers are all critical factors. Those are the hoops they have to jump through. If they need to say a prayer or bow towards Mecca to accomplish that, so be it. I am completely neutral on religion.

It is VERY creepy to be with anyone who thinks some magic cosmic giant is counting the hairs on my butt and telling her when to burn me forever in her hell

I suppose so, but they can not try and convert me. That would be a no go. Fine if they want to go to church/temple/mosque whenever they want. I can always find other things to do.

No!

No. Absolutely not. My dissent with and separation from any religion was long and difficult. I spent years still talking about religion and spirituality with believers hoping they would recognize that their continued faith is simply a choice, and the reason they believe is because they were taught to do so. I have found it impossible to maintain friendships with believers - even when we agree not to talk about it because eventually it always comes up. There is so much that makes no sense, so much that one must do mental gymnastics to accept, or so much that one must outright ignore in order to see " a loving God" that at best, I lost respect for the person for being unable or unwilling to shed the shackles that keep them bound to whichever faith in whichever God and I end the friendship, or they do because they have failed to convert me. No, I will never get involved with a religious person again.

I deal with an individuals "Character". Nothing else is relevant .

No and I always questioned someone who had “god fearing man” or “must be a god fearing woman” in their profile. You scared? Whatcha scared of? The point is mute anyway. I’m not on any dating sites.

No... I would not trust their religious beliefs not to impact their attitudes or their behaviours in life... for example the abrahamic religions and hinduism have sexist scriptures/texts that put women on a lesser plane than men and encourage women to be submissive to men as "heads of the household"... nope fck that noise... also it would most likely lead to a man wanting to procreate because his faith calls him to spread his seed and that would go against my child-free life.... basically there is no guarantee the guy's religion is not impacting his attitudes and choices and life, which would make our values/goals in life incompatible.

@JesseThompson Yes but that only works if they are with egalitarian minded men... you think controlling and dominating men would allow their partners to do that? And that is the problem religion enables such men to treat women as 2nd class citizens and I will not tolerate that.

@JesseThompson But I am not gonna waste my time going through all the bad to get to the good ya know? Cuz the original question was asking me personally if I'd ever date a religious person?

@JesseThompson ohh okay good... cuz I thought for a second you were trying to persuade me against my choice hehe

Given that there are FAR more religious people than Agnostics or Atheists the obvious answer should be yes unless you yourself can't respect their beliefs. I find WAy too often is Atheists demand respect for their beliefs but often do not return the favor.

I would consider it but, not sure it would be very likely.

I've been dating someone for almost two months now that is a believing Catholic, but she is aware I am Agnostic and ok with that, at least so far. Time will tell. We don't discuss religion at all. It's possible that because of her religion she might want me to marry her sometime down the line, something I am not really interested in doing again, but would be willing to do for the right person if they were compatible in everything else. But even then, I would for damn sure get a prenup, as my late wife and I did before we married.

I am married to a buddhist who is very active with the temple, doesn't bother me.

I have tried it and it always ends badly even in a situation where you are just a friend who has their back... Even when you are the ONLY person in their lives who helps them without thought of compensation while their co-religionist friends shit all over them they still stab you in the back to kiss their asses at your expense...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:419243
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.