Agnostic.com

93 11

Would you ever date somebody who is religious, if they respected your beliefs and did not try to sway your decisions?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

93 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes. What's the problem with that?

I don't see why not

Religious beliefs alone would not be a problem if she did not impose it on my life. I will respect her choices.

I enjoy discussing religion, atheism, morality and ethics with friends ... but most of my friends are modestly knowledgable and intelligent ... far more so than I.
I never raise questions of religion on a first date - far more interesting personal stuff to discuss

Yes, as long as they don't smoke!

I'm married to one

I would go with no. Whilst I don't boast of experiences of poor relationships, it would be quite uneasy to live with the fact that my partner does spend a certain amount of time appeasing imaginary beings. Most importantly, majority of religious people are not as open minded, critical thinkers as they have a moral obligation to abide by unjustifiable ideals.

I’m not looking for another partner...but if I were, it wouldn’t dissuade me from having a relationship if he was a believer, unless he was a zealot.

Never again.

I would. I've known many wonderful religous people. My mother was deeply religious, and I loved her dearly.

I tried twice. Its extremely difficult. It's cool at first but there is an underlying tone that cannot be denied. I hate being in the bible belt. Lol

I would only, ever, date someone who treated me with respect about Anything! And I would be happy to return the respect!

I did. And I think it could still be a good relationship. She is very religious. For example she likes dolphins. I told her dolphins where once a land creature that liked the bountiful sea. She replies I thought god created the dolphins. (Palm to face) This relationship really sucks sometimes she is concerned with Morals and God. All I care about being passionate and happy together.

That all depends on how religious they are and how seriously the dating became. People with specific beliefs and an alliance to a church (other than Unitarian...maybe Buddhism as an exception too) may respect things at first, but you will always run into conflicts when real decisions have to be made. Folks with more broad or vague beliefs in some higher power(s), or who are more spiritual than religious, are less of a concern.

I want to believe I am accepting enough to date someone who is religious but who respects my belief.

However, I remember conversing with an ex potential love interest - while I was more agnostic than atheist, who was an Armenian Christian.

Due to the Armenian genocide, she had a slight bias against Muslims and said "I don't think I could date a Muslim.

I tried to convince her to see the error in her thinking.

However, her retort was if we have kids, the religious divide might cause problems as to which religion we choose to raise the child with.

I think this applies here as well. If we have children, our difference in belief might cause some tension on how to raise the child.

Sure I would. But I must say... If someone mentions how important their faith is, that their favorite book is the bible or jesus is their personal savior.... I avoid them like the plague!

If we had a connection, of course. I couldn't turn someone down for their religion, just as I hope they wouldn't turn me down for my lack of a religion. I could only say no if it was a one-sided situation, or if there was no compromise.

Of course.

My current squeeze is religious, but not overly so. She rarely attends services, but has social connections to her church, which her father used to serve as their minister. She believes that we survive death as some form of energy, but cannot define it more precisely. Our relationship is based on companionship and music--we but sing and play--but not sex as intercourse is painful for her. Works for me as I'm 69 years old and just don't need regular sex like I used to and can satisfy my needs with masturbation. We share my house and take care of each other and life is good. It works because neither of us wants to "convert" the other.

It's a trap. If they tell you they respect your views and won't try to influence you, eventually they will. Besides, I'm pretty sure I'll try to influence hers. Beliefs aren't meant to be respected, they're either valid, in which case they can withstand scrutiny, or they aren't and must be protected from criticism.

Respecting a person and respecting their beliefs are completely different matters. If you think you can challenge mine, please try. If you present evidence and logic contrary to my beliefs, you may just change them.

JimG Level 8 Oct 29, 2019

I couldn't possibly date someone who was gullible enough to believe in that BS.

I'd give it a try.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:419243
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.