Agnostic.com

16 15

LINK Opinion: Why millennials are skipping church and not going back

Interesting. Critical thinking is prevailing. It could've done without the last line though.

IAJO163 8 Oct 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The article offers the reason right from the beginning. They are better educated and since fear is reduced by knowledge and curiosity is increased in an effort to acquire more knowledge, the need to have some bogus unseen powers that supposedly answer prayers is just not needed. Religion has always been used as a means of control and these folks are less controllable. I for one am very pleased with that outcome and hope it continues.

While it would be nice if it were critical thinking, what about the concept that the young have immediate gratification needs, have very short attention spans, and it is probably (not sure about this one) frowned upon using social media during church services. All this adds up to is boredom.

I've always said that people who get bored lack the intelligence to amuse one's self.

Because there is something more interesting on TV.

What millennials are doing the most is texting and watching their phones. Too busy with that to watch TV.

@DenoPenno They watch TV. That's one reason they are buried in their phones! LOL!!! They binge watch their shows so that they can get it all done in a day.

Good article....

Because life is really good. Simple as that. People turn to religion when things are hard. This is common sense.

Oh FFS! If the church "community" was all that, folks would rarely leave it. If judgment, bigotry, power plays, self righteousness, abuse, etc... are "community", I'll find friends elsewhere, thank you.

Were YOUR (rhetorical) only friends at church? There are endless other places to socialize.

Zster Level 8 Oct 29, 2019

I literally have no physical friends. I'm a "professional" introvert. LOL!!!

Incorrect. People leave religion because they see no reason to subject themselves to something they aren't convinced is there. I have gone to church with religious friends to please them. The sense of community they have is impressive. They do actually take care of each other. Their church actually does help those in need who come to them. The issue I see today is people have become far more self centered. More selfish. Also very hard headed. The only true free thinkirlers I have run into are Agnostics on this subject. Atheism is just as faith driven as Theism is. Atheism is a personal religion which worships the self and materialism. Point out that they have no proof there is nothing to spiritualism and they view you as daft. They are just as incapable of stepping back and rally examining what they think they know vs what they can actually prove.

@IAJO163 Aww! I hope our culture comes up with some better meeting alternatives than church. Where I live, the churches are not packed with very nice people. If you are not happy in your introversion, I sincerely hope that something comes together to improve that. If you ARE happy, keep on keeping on! (:

@Norman347 Not incorrect. I speak from my experience. Churchgoers in my geography are more often than not a hateful judgemental lot. I have attended a group or two that were less so, but that hardly makes all others phenomenal communities OR horrid ones. The article and OP spoke of churches being amazing communities. Such generalizations are doomed to be incorrect in part as there is no one way.

As to atheism being a faith. Sure, whatever makes you feel better…

@IAJO163 I'm like you. I have few actual friends and it does not bother me or make me want to go out and find any friends. I entertain myself mostly.

@Zster I am extremely happy. I have a wonderful family and with acquaintances like you guys, I can't go wrong!

@Zster, @Norman347 That must be that Arizona faction of Atheists promoting that love of self and materialism. I've found that to be a quality of American consumerism drilled into our brains from the immense and steadily increasing amount of advertizing we are subjected to in our daily lives. As far as faith goes it's attached in most cases to a religion and all that we do and abide to is nothing more than a belief, yes?

The last is my favorite.
We'll find better ways to fill the "void" than religion and tv.
Something more modern, like realistically solving our problems rather than praying to "god" for solutions and thinking we actually accomplished anything.
Once we solve those problems, we can invent a different, "better" god based on science and reality.
Churches will cease to exist.

They got lost on the way home last time?

They were finally thinking for themselves

they're wise to skip church and not go back but they're not the first and they're not alone.

g

They are getting smarter

bobwjr Level 10 Oct 28, 2019

After reading the article, and looking at my own experience, I would say that most of these millennials are going to be in for a long life of loneliness without much in the way of community or social support systems after they leave church behind. Unfortunately, for most Americans who don't do church, it takes some effort and doing to come up with other sources of community and social support that most of us used to get thru churches, community organizations, unions, political organizations, and community groups. We will see.

Perhaps the Meetup culture or something like it will take up the slack in this regard. I belong to a science fiction book club Meetup and I'm easily outnumbered by folks in their 20's and 30's. I've noted there are a lot of Meetups in my metro area which seem to be appealing to millennials (music, art, outdoor activities). Maybe a paradigm shift from singular places of worship to more open socialization will provide the community and social support?

@TrailRider I doubt it. I have tried a few Meetup groups in my local area and they do not seem like much of a substitute for actual communities like churches. The vast majority of people in Meetup groups do not seem to have any real loyalty or commitment to these groups. Instead, the usual pattern of behavior of these young people is to officially join a bunch of these groups at the same time while actually only attending maybe one or two of these groups, and even then, to not attend them regularly. Their whole attitude towards these groups seems to be one of trying to constantly give themselves lots of options of things to do, then deciding as late as possible which option is the best one, for fear of missing out on something better that might come along. Very shallow and self-centered. Not the way that community is built between people.

Less sex, less church....that can only bode well for the future. Slower population growth and less religion..win/win!

They don't see any value and/or purpose

They are smarter.

They get all they need and want from their cell phones.

The modern Mammon!

@Marionville

@moosepucky As Bernie would say, " We are doomed!". I generally feel loathing and disgust about these trends in that generation, while they feel no love lost for Boomers like me. In each case, there is plenty to dislike about the other generation as a whole, while at the same time there are good and righteous members of each generation.

@TomMcGiverin In life change is imminent. Acceptance is the key. We are now our parents and grandparents.

@IAJO163

NOoooooooooooooo........

@IAJO163 @moosepucky All women ultimately become their mothers, that is their tragedy. No man does, and that is his! Oscar Wilde.

@Marionville

My goal for my entire life was to never grow up.

I believe that I have succeeded.

I have a few more years of fun and pleasure left in me as long as I can stay focused. 🤡

@moosepucky I think there is a part inside all of us that never grows up!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:419423
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.