Agnostic.com

135 12

How do you deal with Christmas?

Serious question, and one I'm sure gets asked every year...how do you guys deal with the social conventions that surround Christmas? 95% of the people, I know, celebrate Christmas and the other 5% celebrate things like Yule; Solstice; Hannukah; etc. What if you just don't care about all of the hype and commotion that leads up to this day? I'd love to hear some of your thoughts and insights on this.

AgnosticJeff 4 Nov 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

135 comments (126 - 135)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I canceled all holidays 30 years ago when my wife refused to send Xmas cards to business contacts I felt obligated to mail this nonsense. From then on we always travel on holidays, leaving no forwarding address. This year leaving Nov 30, returning Feb 11. Holidays are subtle way consumerism forces us to buy rubber duckies no one needs or wants. Taking a trip is much better then causing a living plant to be cut, destroyed, placed in our homes where it make a mess. Some pay back catching on fire and killing the unweary. Next it is on the street presenting danger to motorists. Food? Who need the extra calories??? In our culture X mas time is called "home slaughter time". Most stressful time of the year when relatives kill each other under the tree. The Xmas is remembered for month, sometimes years when we write that check to the credit card. Not for me. I believe that we have evolved.

I try to see my Mom and my Aunts. I don't have a lot of family left. I see friends too. That's what it's about for me, seeing good and important people in my life. I like the Winter Solstice as well. It can be lonely and depressing too. It's not my favorite time of year.

Stenz Level 6 Nov 10, 2019

if someone cannot enjoy a holiday without some religious superstition has not much brain power

Us guys us gals do whatever we please 365 & .26 days per year....looks like you want to save money not buying shitty little toys for all your favorite cousins nephews nieces....so don't.....xmas is sometimes fun bullshit like Halloween....beware Easter boy bunnies laying candy eggs on dogshit lawns.....Festivus was invented by Seinfeld and Kwanzaa is an invented American celebration of certain African ideals......go ahead and cut a tiny Solstice Conifer or dig a little one into a pot and grow it in your place...make decoration with popcorn needle&thread....arrange xmas lights onto a board in the pattern of the American Atheist ORBIT symbol and put it in your window....have fun and don't lie to Virginia THERE IS NO Santa claus....get along and say PastaFarian Greetings to the REASON4the SEASON delusionals

Traditional with my children and grandchildren - tree, presents,etc

It is mostly a secular holiday in the UK. although I believe that some churchgoers still attend a Christmas eve service.I doubt if even the kids at school enacting the nativity really know what it is supposed to represent, so eat drink and be merry.

I made a compromise with my ex--she could have a christmas tree if I didnt have to have lights on the outside of my house

lerlo Level 8 Nov 8, 2019

I travel. Anyone is welcome to join me. Petra, Jordan, Morocco?

Why do you want to find out how I deal with things in my life? Who sent you? Why? Who you work for? Who are you?

Santa Claus!😘

@Freedompath Like many other Latinos of Old... we Celebrated 3 Kings Day. I for once married a xmas day... so no wonder got divorce around a 4th of July. Never to be married again. But Nosy People are always asking questions... always. Always taking polls.

@GipsyOfNewSpain that’s a fact! Why do we need a report on every moment-to-moment of people’s opinions? We may all be going insane...lol

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:424054
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.