Serious question, and one I'm sure gets asked every year...how do you guys deal with the social conventions that surround Christmas? 95% of the people, I know, celebrate Christmas and the other 5% celebrate things like Yule; Solstice; Hannukah; etc. What if you just don't care about all of the hype and commotion that leads up to this day? I'd love to hear some of your thoughts and insights on this.
I just ignore the religious aspect of the holiday and focus on the good stuff: food, presents, money, liquor and spiked eggnog, friends & family whether they are religious or not. When I'm forced to deal with the religious aspect of the season, I do say "happy holidays" to everyone whether they like it or not. Most Christians try to forcibly correct me and insist that I say to them Merry Christmas, but I just continue to say Happy Holidays to them and they go away.
My biggest pet peeve on Christmas? The music. It's so repetitive.
It's like listening to pop radio back in the day where they'd play the same hackneyed hits over and over and over. Like in 2001, that radio in the office playing "Your Body Is A Wonderland" every half hour until I wanted to defenestrate the damn thing.
Pleeeease, come up with new Christmas songs!
I enjoy Christmas a lot. Grew up celebrating it. Since I'm only one of three atheists in my family, we observe a secular version of the holiday right in the midst of the religion going on all around us. We don't interfere with the religious ritual because we're not assholes.
You can celebrate anything you want without any religiosity attached to it. If you get accused for being a non-believer on Christmas, that's tantamount to having someone accuse you for not believing in Harry Potter or magic while you're at Harry Potter World at Universal Studios. You don't have to believe it to enjoy it with your family.
No problem! I wish that more pagan traditions were practiced; ie. spring fertility festivals, bacchanalias, leprachuan steeplechase. Hey, maybe be reciprocal & invite all xmas keepers to a pagan party?
We are creatures of cultural habit & it's not so easy breaking a habit. Party with some like-minded people & celebrate the soltices & equinoxes. As if we need an excuse to party.
My favorite holiday is Thanksgiving-deals with only food. The rest of the holidays I call HORRORdays because every damn thing is closed and I got things to do! When had kids we had a fake tree-Hannukah bush, gave gifts probably 1 good one per kid and when they understood I lit the menorah but gave that up-too labor intensive. I never connected the dots for them about Christ/Christmas. We had a Hannukah bush!!
Husband and I volunteered on holidays (most of therm) to relieve animal shelter workers. He would clean kennels and feed, I walked the dogs. We did that all the time to give the employees a break for the holiday.
I put up tons of secular decorations,play my "music box" holiday CD's, cook a big dinner, stuff my face.
Give family subscriptions for goats, chickens, whatever from Heifer International, donate to the Food Bank & Heat Bank in town. Tis the season to be giving!
When I had Kids I did Yule, so they did not feel disenfranchised from the overarching society. As they grew I utilized the holiday as a teaching tool for world religions, none of which I practiced.
With the nest empty I do nothing, but I do exploit the sales after it for things I or my family might need.
Eat, drink and be merry ....just like everyone else. It’s a holiday, I enjoy it, even the carol singing..especially the carol singing, as I’m a choral singer! We were an atheist household, even in my childhood, and we always celebrated Christmas with present giving and the usual festive cheer, why should we miss out on it?
The history of the holiday, which was actually a pagan holiday . . .
Christmas is used to sell christianity, just like a whole lot more of their paraphernalia - I do not celebrate it, I consider it nothing but one more tool in their long list of tools to gather more sheep.