Agnostic.com

135 12

How do you deal with Christmas?

Serious question, and one I'm sure gets asked every year...how do you guys deal with the social conventions that surround Christmas? 95% of the people, I know, celebrate Christmas and the other 5% celebrate things like Yule; Solstice; Hannukah; etc. What if you just don't care about all of the hype and commotion that leads up to this day? I'd love to hear some of your thoughts and insights on this.

AgnosticJeff 4 Nov 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

135 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't deal with it at all.

Time is precious and that's easily observable by anyone with enough brains.

Being forced to deal with Christmas is the adoption of being punished for making a reasonable deduction on what to do in the Christmas epoch. I won't pretend like it's sensible to get into the business of being instinctive and generally just primitive by doing what other people are doing because of the need to affirm society's pre-concieved, solipsistic notion of what is right for me to do.

Things like Christmas are taken with skepticism by me because they're a way to create informational conformity, which is usually the start of despotism, fascism, and other very authoritarian systems.

If I do any decorating at all, it is simply Winter Season themed decorations.

I buy gifts for my grand kids and do the "white elephant" gift exchange with my daughters and sons-in-law.

I have dinner with my family. And, when they pray, I close my eyes and go "lalalalalalalalalala..." in my head until it is over 🙂.

I hole up from mid-November until mid-January. Can't stand the commercial-capitalist hype or phony good cheer any more than I can the religious bullshit.

I don't put up any decorations, I don't send cards, I don't give any presents, .....if a fool gives me a present I say..."thank you"

All the fun, none of the dogma

I don't. Seriously, I don't invest too much energy into it. Now that both of my parents are gone, it's just me and my siblings, but I'm the only one who lives out of state, so they never see me for the holidays anyway, but I do send out cards... just haven't for last couple of years. I just spend most of the days leading up to Christmas working and staying home and running out in the snow. Oh, and my cats will get presents. It's just not a big deal for me.

That sounds reasonable. I'd probably do the same if I was in that scenario.

I feel you!!!! I absolutely HATE Christmas. Partly because it was never a HAPPY TIME for me as a child. We were always threatened with no presents and surprised if there was any. This was a sick mind game my Mother Dearest got pleasure in.

As a parent, I played along to make my children happy and to ensure they would never have the disappointment of getting nothing.

As an Agnostic adult I loathe this time of the year. The in your face decorations and the friggin music pisses me off. I am actually looking for a t-shirt (I live in Hawaii) that says "FUCK XMAS"

I also count the days until the bullshit is over and get on with my life.

The christians co-opted most of the fun stuff from other cultures that were observing Solstice.

It is a fun time.

I mostly ignore it. I don't decorate. I switch to a radio station that does not play much xmas music. My "usual" station starts playing it 24/7 next week. My concession to the season and the grand children is to make a xmas tree quilt that I do need to finish very soon. That is seasonal as well as useful. My family does a gift exchange, and we will get together on xmas day for the holiday celebration as well as granddaughter's birthday.

Do my best to ignore it.

I generally take advantage of any extra pay over Christmas by working the Xmas shifts.

I haven't liked xmus since I was a kid and had to go to church on my birthday (it's xmus eve and I was warped a catholick...)
I usually ignore the hype while enjoying the food (I love fish), but get disgusted by the overindulgence and marketing that capitalism pukes on us during the "holidaze"... sometimes I'll reply "hail Satan" to "merry christmas" just to piss off the fake ones... we Atheists know that neither the christ nor The Satan existed, and surely not some fairy tale cloud- floating fuck that likes to kill babies and collect foreskins as a hobby..... my 2 cents for the boatman's fare, coz imma going to hades, if it even exists....
....naw, it's just another fairy tale to scare children at night and to keep the people quiet so those in power might reap the benefit if exploiting an already oppressed populace.....

Just enjoy the secular part of Christmas and ignore the baby Jesus, star of Bethlehem, three wise men, virgin Mary nonsense.

BD66 Level 8 Nov 9, 2019

To me Christmas is a day for family. We treat it as a non-religious holiday. A lot of aspects of Christmas are non-Christian anyway so there you are. I also think the debate on how to greet someone for the holidays is silly. I say just be happy they are greeting you in a friendly way. Making a big deal about them not being "politically correct " is kind of childish. I say greet everyone how you want to and smile when they return in kind or however they greet you. It's supposed to be a time for peace and warmth and families.

Yes, yes and yes!

Fortunately my people don’t bother too much just have a family dinner and a few gifts for the children.

Now I’m in Australia from the Northen Hemisphere it seems just wrong celebrating in 40C so it doesn’t seem like Christmas anyway!

I get invited to "holiday" parties. I can't remember the last time I was invited to a "Christmas" party. If they have food I go.

It doesn’t have to be about Jesus. I have a blast every Christmas with my atheist family. We exchange gifts, watch football, laugh, eat and drink. To me it’s about celebrating life & family in the midst of the coldest days.

i grew up celebrating. it’s a little weird now, but i don’t see any reason to give up my culture just because i’ve given up religion.

Since my family relationships are chances on a good day, holidays are complicated. I take lots of ‘smoke breaks’ outside(I don’t smoke, lol, but I pretend I do, and they pretend to believe me). I stay as superficial as possible.
And I try to laugh.

My late wife was the house decorator,after her passing,I had all of the decorations given away,too many memories,before we married,I looked at the Holidays as just another day,nothing special,this Thanksgiving and Christmas will be my 3rd with out her, 27 years(26 good ones).....

I'm extremely sorry to hear that, Mike. Just know that you're a stronger man than I. Although I'm divorced, I don't believe I could handle a situation like that. I wish you the very best.

@AgnosticJeff It was tough,but I was an old bachelor of 43 when I married for the first time,I went into the USAF a year out of High School,during my two enlistments,I was like a roaming Gypsy,maybe at one base for 6 months or less,never long enough to find a good Woman and put down roots.Got out in 1974, found some low paying jobs,dating was difficult on $2.85 an hour for my first job.Not until I got the Aerospace job was I able to do a wife hunt.

I was my late wife's 3rd husband,to those she knew, I was "Third times the charm".27 years flew by (26 good ones) my wife was diagnosed with lung cancer on our 26th wedding anniversary August 23rd 2016,she was gone in 13 months time. I have my memories now......

I treat it just like actually most do - as a family holiday and excuse to see people do not normally see. Oh and to take a break from work and relax. If someone gives me free time off, I will not complain as long as there are no strings attached. Besides, its a good excuse to celebrate the real holiday on 12/25: Newtonmas! Yes it is actually Sir Isaac Newton's birthday (at least on the older Julian calendar used when he was born). I send out Newtonmas cards too -- but they need to be bought well in advance because for some reason not everyone stocks them, go figure?

I do Christmas just because I love all the festivities! And I take solace in knowing that Christmas is merely a holiday stolen by the Christians from the Pagans. The tree, the lighting of lights, the gifting, even the praying, which in pagan times was hopes that the sun would return again. I don't go to church, I internally vomit when I read, "Jesus is the reason for the season," and I'm willing to smile at others' little comments about their religion. If that makes them happy, who am I to interfere with their fantasies?

Vodka

ask for money. lol i look at it if its a pagan holiday about good will and peace ignore the so called christian holiday that stole it from the pagans.

I mostly ignore the whole show to varying degrees, depending on my mood in a given year. Looking way beyond the usual carols and such, there is, admittedly, some fine holiday related Renaissance music that I love - but I can listen to that any time of year !

I abhor going into the riotous stores after Thanksgiving - for any purpose. Not much of a shopper anyway. And I've convinced my Sister and her gang up north, to cease with presents.

I do however sometimes send out secular cards, mostly because I miss letters, and handwriting, and it's fun to hear from folks. And there are some homes in the neighborhood, that go ape-shit with lights , so doing a drive-by is sometimes amusing. Other than that - "baa, humbug !"

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:424054
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.