Agnostic.com

91 2

As an atheist, I think Homosexuality should not come into mainstream. What's your take ?

No offence, but my opinion is homosexuality is psychological. I'm straight turned from homosexual, it all happened accidentally. I went through the studies, none had a proof that it's genetic. I've only one explanation to what happened with me & i.e. homosexuality is psychological.

• 0 votes
  • 7 votes
  • 172 votes
sourceofdesire 6 Nov 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

91 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"As an atheist"? I don't see what atheism has to do with your personal opinions about homosexuality. Atheism has no dogma like religion does that passes judgement on such things. So you are an atheist and a homophobe and there is no relationship between the two things. Every argument against tolerance of homosexuality that I have ever heard is rooted in religion. If there is a non-religious argument I have yet to hear it. But suppose that it is psychological. What other psychological condition warrants restricting the rights of people that have it? Who people want to fuck is entirely their own affair.

Atheism does not equal Intolerance.

I'll go with you're an idiot too. No offense.

This is not a lifestyle choice for Homosexual people, contrary to what religious doctrine dictates. Nobody would choose this most difficult path in life voluntarily, it is the way they are born and it is not unnatural to them only to others. I think we should all live and coexist on this planet in harmony and we who are more enlightened than our theist friends should show them respect and dignity. I can't subscribe to the above statement, i do not believe homosexuality is psychological but it is innate. There are of course some people who are bi-sexual, but that is entirely different because their sexuality is fluid and not binary.

I honestly think everybody should quit obsessing over what other people like to do in private with other consenting adults. Or toys. Or dolls. Or robots.
Religion invented the idea of controlling people's sexuality, and religion can go fuck itself with a gigantic fucker.

Yup, nothing else to say but that.

Probably from the environmental point of view it should become mandatory. No more unplanned pregnancies and ZPG.
But seriously what is your problem and what studies did you look at. Obviously not the bulk of the literature. As for your personal experience that would be easily explained if you were bisexual or sapiosexual. We all tend to have our preferences, not that they are always based on the configuration of someones genitalia but I can't figure out why someone else expressing their preferences publicly should bother you in the slightest.

Kimba Level 7 June 27, 2018

I always presumed that homosexuality was natures built in form of population control since gay people don't tend to pass along their DNA.

Not much I can add to the responses to this post other than what has already been said. What consenting adults do in the privacy of their own bedroom is none of anyone else's business, so I'm not sure what you even mean by "mainstream".

I don't know which studies you reviewed, but they (Neurologists) have done multiple studies using MRIs that suggest that the heterosexual brain patterns are distinctly different from homosexual patterns, just as bisexual are different frosting homosexual and heterosexual, and that transsexual are as different from all the others too. In other words, the only thing they have in common is they are more similar to those of their own categories that other categories. There is a commonality that allows them to be classified accordingly as distinct patterns. And the only way for that to be possible is that it is indeed genetic. Otherwise that's one hell of a huge set of thousands of coincidences. I know correlation does not equal causation, but it certainly keeps putting in that direction thus far...

None of the above. To each his own.

I don't know where you're getting your information from but it sounds as if its coming from out in the shed. Or perhaps in simple experimenting.

Homosexuality is real and it is in your DNA according to more than one scientific study. For example, "IT HAS long been debated whether sexual orientation is a result of a person’s biology or is determined by environmental factors and outside influences.

A new study in the US could bring experts a step closer to proving that homosexuality is rooted in a person’s DNA.

Research undertaken by North Shore University in Illinois claims to have discovered genetic markers that indicate whether or not a person is gay.

Scientists compared the whole genomes of around 1000 homosexual men and 1200 heterosexual men and found there were two specific DNA regions that differed between the groups.

One of the regions dealt with a gene that plays an important role in brain development and hormone production, which could also be linked to a person’s sexual orientation."

[news.com.au]

Come into the mainstream? What does that mean? Are you saying that homosexuals should not be allowed in public? Even IF it were psychological, are you saying that anybody whose psychology doesn’t match yours should not be allowed to live their lives?

“I went through the studies, none had a proof that it's genetic.” Lack of “proof” is not proof. Neither is evidence of absence. What “studies” did you go through? That also shows complete disregard for science in general. Genes are not the only story being told here. We’re talking about a facet of the human creature known as SEXUALITY, of which “homosexuality” is merely a subset. (Though studies with twins show that genes do, in fact, play a role.)

I’m not sure what your endgame is here, if you’re just trolling or if you’re... no, it sounds like you’re trolling. Scientific thinkers and educated people no longer question the evolutionary establishment of sexuality in its many forms, including homosexuality.

Another telling factor is if twins are identical they, if gay, tend to both be gay whereas if the twins are fraternal, (separate developing eggs); you can have one gay and one straight.

Why are you trying to press your morals here? What are your morals even based on if you are on an agnostic/atheist site? Why does it have to be normal or not? What if it's purely choice??

I find this whole discussion deplorable. If I want to sleep with men, women, or donkeys it's none of your business unless I am hurting you. Leave Frank N. Furter alone.

It depends on your definition of " mainsteam " . If you say the majority then thats never going to happen. If you say accepted by society at large then for sure. You say that you were homosexual and then turned. You fail to say how. Did you meet someone? Have an epiphany or what? and that is just you. One of the main things that bug me about religion is some bugger telling me how to live my life. Now you say that youve now rejected your homosexual past but that does not negate it, it was still you at the time. Should you (then) have been vilified, ostracized. penalized, discriminated jailed or tarred and feathered and run out of town on a rail? I attended a gay bar mitzvah last year. I say gay, his mom and dad were both striaght but the lad in questions choosen theme for the party was my favorite musicals. Nuff said, he is a really nice kid and I am glad that he can grow up and live in a world that will accept him for who he is. I remember how much the gay lad in my school got bullied and it is so much better now. I have many gay friends and each one has said " This is not a choice "
Many seem to make mistake of thinking it is a lifestyle choice because offten gay and lesbians sometimes do straight. Well guess what there are a lot of striaghts who sometimes do gay. My cat ate a broccoli stem last week, it dont`make her veggie
The US is supossed to be founded on life, liberty and the persuit of happiness. What gives you or anybody else the right to deny any adults their rights to the same. Even if it is " Psychological " ??

I think the variations in sexuality are natural--genetics, whatever. It has always been, so it must be. Telling people it's all in their heads is mean and just a way to control things not your business. People are tormented and die from being considered "different." Stop denying nature and all will be more peaceful.

As someone who identifies as neither hetero- or homosexual, may I say I find both to be unusual? Just because I wouldn't do it or understand it, doesn't make it wrong for someone else as long as all parties are consenting adults.

None of my business, bruh.

Being homosexual probably is psychological, but then again so is our taste in food, preference in literature, movies, drinks, friends, politics.... Honestly every single thing about us with the exception of our skin color, and organ disposition.

The point is, why on earth does it matter? So long as people aren't having sex in my lap I could give a crap less what they do behind closed doors.

On a side note I would object to straight people having sex in my lap, so there's that.

What ? Seriously , What ???? Are you having a giraffe ?

Wait, a giraffe? Is this a common euphemism to haven't heard yet? Here, we have only cows.

My first thought/response was fuck you and the horse you rode in on. I'll dial it back a bit and say, just like one's religious belief or non-belief, one's sexual preference is not my business. Love and believe how you wish. I will not mess with anyone over that and no need to mess with me. The actual laws trying to control sexuality are absurd and cruel.

Where I stick it or where I get stuck is none of anybody's business. That does not preclude me from enjoying all of life's benefits, as well as the rights guaranteed me as a citizen of the US.

Not sure why one’s non belief in a god should have anything whatever to do with one’s sexual orientation. It’s like saying that, as an atheist, you don’t feel that left handedness should come into the mainstream.

The only thing saying you're an atheist reveals is a non-god belief. Otherwise, you can be just as whackadoodle as the next person. However, the poster's attitude sounds very religious based to me. It seems as if he's saying he experimented at one time...IF he's truthful.

What does "not come into the mainstream" mean? You don't want to hear about it? You want homosexuals to go away, to be invisible? The reality of homosexuality makes you wonder about yourself if, perchance, you are wrong about it being "psychological"? I suspect your opinions about homosexuality have less to do with going "through the studies" and more with your personal self perception. Finally, what the hell does your atheism have to do with your homosexuality issue?

Homosexuality is also found throughout the animal kingdom. That is actually irrelevant, tho, as a lifestyle choice (IF it is one) that harms no one else is no one else's business. Trying to keep gays out of the mainstream, IMO is bigoted & misguided. Plus, lot's 'o' luck, I think that barn door has been opened!

I've probably said this before, but it bears repeating. Homosexuality is naturally occurring in over 1,500 species besides humans. It already is "mainstream". It has been common throughout history. Just because someone may think it's "icky", doesn't make them correct, and it doesn't give them the right to dismiss, or otherwise disrespect, anyone because they're gay. It's not a "lifestyle choice". It's not a "choice" at all. Did you (general 'you' ) CHOOSE to be heterosexual? At what age did you decide that you are attracted to the opposite gender? Were you actively recruited by a straight person to "join"? It is NO different for those who are born homosexual. People are what they are. I don't understand the irrational fear of homosexuality. I never will. I will also never understand why some people think other people's sex lives are any of their business. This subject is a real sore spot for me. Rant over. For now. I'm sure it'll come up again.

Human sexuality, & all that implies; psychology, emotion, culture, sex, etc., etc., is incredibly complex. I'm an old fart, so I don't know if I totally buy into the notion of all these different "sexes" that seem to be sprouting up, but I have always realized that there is no one definition for either male or female behavior or sexuality. I'm a "straight" male, with many cultural "biases" from the '60's & '70's (& even earlier imprinted on me by my parents & culture), but that time of "sexual revolution" also helped open my eyes to the variety that exists. Bottom line, for me, at any rate, is "consenting adults". Anything else is repressive.

@phxbillcee Absolutely agreed. As long as everyone is a consenting adult, it's no one's business what they're doing with their sex lives.

I choose not to vote. I can only speak from experience. I do have a daughter bisexual, when she open up about that I almost fainted, within 30 seconds my knees buckled and I hold on to the kitchen counter but... It was not because her lifestyle... it was because I knew she made her life harder... when she volunteer the information I just told her... just give me a hug... I don't care you still my daughter forever. We Gave Our Children to Life and To The World... To Live Via Their Own Devices. Later on... she got greedy... She was living with her boyfriend and girlfriend and she was the ring leader. I was not that happy with the arrangement but it was her life not mine. Of course that didn't lasted and he ended up being the Odd Man out. He even tried to enlist my help... he, he, ha, he. I am just very supportive of my children I do find certain behaviour annoying of certain In-your-face approach... not necessary. But Your Life is Your Choice... but you better bring large pockets for what you bring upon yourself. I Will Accept Each of You for What You Are. Mind You I Am of Straight Persuasion but I Won't Stop a Partner from Being Herself Because You Can Not Provide Everything There Is In This World, I know that from experience but that is a different story for another time.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4245
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.