Agnostic.com

19 11

What gives you rapture?

I've just surfaced after spending several days in rapture- with a book. I loved this book. I loved every second of it. I was transported into its world.

There's something called the rapture of the deep, and it refers to what happens when a deep-sea divers spends too much time at the bottom of the ocean and can't tell which way is up. When he surfaces, he's liable to have a condition called the bends, where the body can't adapt to the oxygen levels in the atmosphere. All of this happens when I surface from a great book, in this case, "Away" by Amy Bloom.

Driving home after a spectacular hike, I can't bear to turn on the radio. Returning to civilization feels harsh. I want to prolong the feeling of rapture.

And of course, great sex. Sometime I yank myself from deep rapture and feeling mildly guilty, offer to do something extra-special for my partner. As if I'm hogging all the pleasure.

Rapturous moments: gorgeous sunsets, moving music, biting into a ripe, juicy peach, burying my nose in a fragrant, lovely rose, and touching a baby's soft skin.

LiterateHiker 9 Nov 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You missed a fantastic glass of wine imo.

Way back when, screaming my lungs out perfectly synchronised with the juddering, grinding wall of harmonic destruction coming from the death metal band I used to front, while the moshbeast thrashed and roared it's approval from a hundred throats.
Rapture.
Standing on top of Mt. Rinjani at dawn, and holding in my mind's eye a geological overlay spanning thousands of miles and millions of years.
Rapture.
Holding the swaddled little bundle of a 20 minute old child, gently rocking, singing and soothing away the tension of being squirted into the world.
Rapture.

Lucky partner!

A night under the stars looking at the wonders of the universe through my telescopes. Once, seeing a supernova that had exploded in another galaxy 27 million light years away! Realizing how distant these objects are and I'm seeing them

@LiterateHiker It is a beautiful feeling to get caught up and the warm bliss it brings you . With your way with words in describng things you should be writing a book ,especially of your hiking adventures

@RoyMillar

Thank you.

I'd much rather go with calling it something similar either Great and Immense Joy and Fulfillment or an intense sense of Overwhelming Pleasure in an achievement, activity, etc, rather than 'rapture' that stinks badly of the Xrstian ideology, etc.
To me such a sense of Joy and Fulfillment can come from many sources such as completing an artwork, writing a really good piece of poetry, etc, etc, OR just simply creating a meal from scratch using something I've never cooked before, for example, about a month ago I decided to try my at cooking 'Lamb's Fry' ( sheep's liver) with bacon and onion, a dish I hadn't made since my departed daughter was 10 years old.
Without being boastful, it turned out to be a really good success, so good in fact that I fully intend to cook it again tomorrow night as well.
Now, 'Lamb's Fry' or Liver may NOT sound all that appealing to many but, trust me, done right and allowed to cook very slowly in a nice brown onion gravy and served up with steamed and then mashed potatoes ans steamed vegies it IS a very moreish dish indeed.

I can get lost in a good drama show/movie or a mystery or crime drama... something that keeps you on edge, keeps you guessing and wondering. 🙂

I can also,,love it,you get mesmerized and totally focused on the moment ,your surroundings do not exist

@RoyMillar when I lived in my chaotic household I would use literally stupid reality tv drama as a form of escapism.... I would get lost in their drama and suddenly mine would temporarily be gone. 😳

I can remember experiencing something like that from cuddling, fully clothed and non-sexual, with a woman I love.

I get a lot of joy from my partner’s orgasms. Don’t feel bad for enjoying yourself whether it’s sex or nature.

Your photos give me rapture! 🙂

i find rapture to be far to entangled and enmeshed with the xSTAIN ethic, so it is not a word i would ever use.

joy would be where i'd start. "rapture" makes me instantly puke a little in my mouth.

Yeah, not really a fan of that word, for that reason, either.

A well told story.
To see someone I admire succeed.
To help someone succeed.
To crush my enemies, see them driven before me and hear the lamentation of their women.

Making real love to a woman I care for

bobwjr Level 10 Nov 13, 2019

as opposed to making FAKE love?

not sure i understand...

:::giggle:::

@lakota_5 as opposed to just a fuck

reading can do that for me more than anything else. i’ve always felt that when i read a really good story, like i’m waking up from a dream. a “who am i again?” kind of feeling lol. it happens sometimes when i listen to music too, but that’s rarer. the last time i felt that way was with Hozier’s album “Wasteland Baby!” highly recommend it.

Seeing others really enjoying my cooking.

Skiing bottomless powder, alone in the steep woods. The right combination of notes sometimes. Some moments between first touch and orgasm.

Orgasm, both mine and my partner's.

Some pieces of classical music, such as Mx Bruch's, "Violin concerto Number One in G Minor" (particularly the rendition by violinist Schlomo Minsk with the cConductor Claudio Abaddocome music By Aaron Copland, etc. Also masterful writing which turns phrases beautifully and creates vivid and/or beautiful images. Add deeply poignant moments shared withpeople who matter to us..

i was a classical musician for many years. (orchestral) and playing in an orchestra of 100 or 150 some huge symphony or other... super connected and spiritual experience.

at times listening to something like this.... on occasion, hearing some pop singer. recently LP (laura pergolizzi)

I can certainly agree with the feelings of rapture that one receives being out in nature. (No radio, no TV, no “commercial annoyances of mankind - to interrupt that feeling...)

Same way with great sex... and especially the aftermath...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:426130
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.