Agnostic.com

179 4

WHAT'S YOUR POSITION ON ABORTION ?

Yes...No? Do you base your position on religion or science? Does the woman have the right to chose?

DUCHESSA 8 Nov 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

179 comments (101 - 125)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I believe in the rights of the person to do whatever that person decides to do regarding their body.

I'm pro-choice for sure. And pro-life would be more properly called anti-woman. If they were so pro-life then why are they against paid maternal leave, food stamps, housing, education, healthcare for the poor, government paid daycare, raising the minimum wage, etc...? It is just their tool to make life harder for women, especially poor women, most especially poor women of color.

Don't you think education would solve a lot?

Totally right. Ask those people to take on all of that or shut up.

@DUCHESSA "Education?" Are you talking about the fact that "contraceptives can/do fail? "How about "men can/do fail us?" How about "we sometimes get carried away and fail ourselves?" Aside from that....what ''education" are you talking about?

@LucyLoohoo About that education that allows a person to reason her decisions...........IAW, everything you said and more. Embryology, Anatomy, Histology, Pathology....also should be part of the info.

Speaking as a man, the choice must rest with the woman, no matter how uncomfortable this may be. This is based purely on the grounds of common sense. Coercion should never be an issue. Regrettably I suspect most abortions take place due to financial considerations. If money were not so much of a problem, I suspect there would but significantly fewer terminations.

My decision is based on a scientific understanding of the matter, and yes it is a woman's choice to make her own reproductive choices. With that said, my personal view on that may be different, but still doesn't matter as the right to a safe abortion is legal under the law. I recently did a few posts on the topic of cpc's and how they deceive women for anyone who is interested. Having knowledge is half of the battle.

I personally think there needs to be more education and prevention. Also to all these pro life conservatives they can have several seats because how the hell can the be against abortion but pro war and pro police brutally?

I agree with you and have also often wondered how so many Christians I know could be both anti-abortion (or pro-life as they call it) and yet promote the death penalty? It seems they call it murder for a fetus to be surgically aborted, but it isn't murder to kill an adult human being? I will never understand this, especially with the common belief of vengence being their God's place to take, since the whole eye-for-an-eye thing was from the old testament.

Women should have the right to choose. Yet...I work with women and observe the harm abortion does to women both physically and emotionally. Very often a subsequent birth is more difficult because the trauma is stored in both mind and body.. Not to mention the sexual abuse. It is ethically a very tricky issue and I do not have the answers and would prefer the laws to be as liberso as possible to support women's freedom of choice. At the same time, homes for pregnant women and the opportunity for the babies to be adopted is also an option but such services are in short supply.

I had a baby after an abortion and had no issues. It has no ill affect on me. I know it can happen, but I did read a few years ago that negative feelings after an abortion are quite rare, and most common among religious women or women who felt pressured to have an abortion.

This is a simple thing to understand...until a human is born, they have no sensory input. And without that you have no thought processes. Also, you have to be born to be a citizen of any country. Without citizenship, you have no rights.

I agree with your words...but to make them understood is a job that I rather leave to others; the ignorance engulfing mankind is too large / thick.

I completely agree with your sentiment but according to livescience.com ""The science shows that based on gestational age, the fetus is not capable of feeling pain until the third trimester," said Kate Connors, a spokesperson for ACOG. The third trimester begins at about 27 weeks of pregnancy.

Pro-choice.

I find it difficult to believe religious conservatives or evangelicals have the right to tell a woman what she can do or not do regarding a highly personal decision about the termination of a pregnancy. Further, I have not seen this objection in any biblical text.

Two question. Three Answers. (Yes and no are not correct rubrics)
#1 Science.
#2 Does the woman - - depends on where she is in the world and her current condition
If you intended to ask "Should the woman have the right to chose?" Absolutely.

i believe a woman must make that choice. she is the manager of her body. she needs to have as much information as possible and then make her decision. i don’t believe anyone else should be involved.

What other info. than "she wants to abort" does she need?

@DUCHESSA how much of a toll the abortion could take on her mentally and physically. It should not be a quick decision. Was she raped? Was she the victim of incest? One in three women will be molested during her lifetime. There is a great deal she should know before making such an earth shattering decision.

@IAmLove Victim od rape, incest,...or simply she doesn't want to have a kid....Make no difference, the only thing that counts us she wants to abort and the physical risks.
Trust me, the "emotional aspect" is so overrated that is laughable.

@DUCHESSA No, it isn’t

@IAmLove When a woman decides to abort....the emotional side is not what she thinks about. Trust me, I have spoken to many and the only thing they said was "What a relief!!

@kozmic Thank you por proving my point. Eventually, we will become a society that minds its own business.

@kozmic what a horrible experience. This is what religion does. There is no reason you should have been shamed. What about the child’s father. No doubt he was patted on the back. Hope you are ok now.

@IAmLove It's only a very few patients who regard the choice as "earth shattering." Trust me on this one...I see it every week.

Abortion is a human right.

And I will add : the "abortion is a last resort" people have me a bit confused. Once a woman is pregnant and decides she no longer wants to be pregnant, what is the first choice, if abortion is the final choice???

If she wants no to be pregnant there is only one choice: Abortion.

Some stupid people say "Give the baby for adoption." They don't realize the woman doesn't want to carry the belly....they think what the woman doesn't want is to rise the kid.

@DUCHESSA I think that’s exactly what it is.

@FreethoughtKaty I didn't want the belly....and much less rising the brat.

OHHHH...the pro-life people will tell you ''there's always adoption." Of course, adoption rates are abysmal but....

OHHHH...the pro-life people will tell you ''there's always adoption." Of course, adoption rates are abysmal but....

I am not pro abortion, but I do not think that the choice belongs to me.

It's not my decision to make but it is a viable human life thats destroyed . " One more kid that will never go to school ,
l never get to fall in love , never get to be cool " Neil Young

Women always have to right choose, it's their body! I don't judge those who have had an abortion. i think the reason for abortions very greatly and it's no ones business other than the patient and the doctor.

I'm for it.

I can think of several people whose parents should have opted for it.

The fetus is not a baby so my position is that it's ok to have an abortion.

Its always the right of the woman to choose, and I base my decision and all my decisons on science not that rag they call the unholy bibile.

She has to grow the damn thing. 100% her choice.

SuziQ Level 4 July 13, 2018

I had an abortion after having two children and with a mental unwellness decided i wasnt capable of looking after another at that time with children of 3 and 4 yrs old already. I was strongarmed into having a sterilisation at the same time and I will never forget and never forgive -Later I was a counsellor at the health centre that had my records and so I oppportunistically photocopied my own - It was a one liner. No explanation at all

jacpod Level 8 July 16, 2018

EEkkk!

My position is that I don't have a vagina and therefore am not particularly qualified to have a position to begin with.

Abortions will happen. If a government takes away access, the poor will resort to spurious folk 'remedies' or sketchy black market operations and the rich will simply find an international doctor somewhere it's legal. The way it was before Roe vs. Wade. This cultural nonsense in America where the religious assume absolute knowledge about embryonic/fetal sentience, insist upon inclusion of the soul (which science has never verified or confirmed) as a scientifically valid factor, and the priority of 'state of life' above 'quality of life' in service to the Grand Design of some unsubstantiated absentee landlord, whose last representative was 2000 years ago and politically assassinated, and whose last correspondence was a disjointed series of self-aggrandizing narratives told so many times no one even remembers the original words, is farcical and absurd.

If you had told me when I was a kid in the 1990s that legalized abortions and social programs prioritizing responsible sexual practices and reproductive health would be in danger...I would only have believed the second half. Abstinence only sex ed and just overhearing old men talk about women showed me that sexually responsible social programs will be in danger every day for years to come, but I honestly believed that we had at least finally closed the official book on whether at least some types of abortion should be legal and that providing legal access to them was the more responsible choice than leaving hundreds of thousands of women to situations where they're dying or severely ill from unsanitary procedures in non-sterile environments and then going to jail.

I guess I overestimated the humanity of the ruling class.

I also want to add: the idea that children are our future/legacy is, in my mind, one of the primary rhetorical crutches used by men who seek to control women's reproductive rights.

Children are therefore a social/community resource (read: property) and since 'men run society' they have the right to dictate the means of production and distribution of that resource.

They don't want you having abortions, but that didn't stop them trying to chemically sterilize women of color on basis on race.

This all sounds more and more like a build up to a Lebesborn program...

@geist171 And what you say also happened in Puerto Rico...where many women were sterilized...this is known as "La operación".

You're talking to someone who works at Planned Parenthood. I sit /hold hands/help calm breathing/etc, with patients as they're having the procedure. How do YOU think I feel about reproductive choice? 🙂

What you are helping to calm down is the fear a person experiences when undergoing surgery...nothing to do with guilt. Please.

@DUCHESSA Duchessa....I'm as pro-choice (obviously) as you seem to be. I'm also PRO-WOMAN! I've seen hundreds of women going through the procedure and know perhaps a tad more than you do about their feelings. First...they're full of pregnancy-related hormones, which can affect emotions much more often than you'd think. Secondly...we may have unresolved issues which cause distress. I remember a woman who wept bitterly.....she's Catholic and fully expected she'd go to hell. You seem very vehement about what women are feeling before/during/after abortions. I'd suggest a little less "I know more than anyone" about what's possibly going on. Some women have a very difficult time, while others do not. It's an individual thing.

@LucyLoohoo Indeed is an individual thing.......but after 26+ years educating teenagers and being informed about many pregnancies before the girls told their parents counts for something about what they feel. I, also, have knowledge of the impact the hormones have on a pregnant woman, I have seen one or two fetuses (in a jar, of course) and studied Anatomy, Histology, Embryology while wanting to become a dentist (Yes, in Argentina a dentist wanna be studies those subjects too). IAW, I am not as ""out of the road" as you may think. Yes, some feel guilty but not for the idea of aborting but about the fact they had sex before marriage....and I am just to hear one of them to say he wasn't happy after aborting. I guess it has a lot to do with how the info. is presented to them. Sure, you see a lot more pregnant women than I will ever do but I can assure you relief is the first emotion they state.

Needs to be available but is a lousy form of birth control.

Dorijo Level 2 July 16, 2018

Whoever use / thinks of abortion as birth control is an idiot. Abortion is the last option when all the other ways fai;ed. No, adoption is not an option.

OK...not your fault but that's a TERRIBLE cliche! NOBODY uses abortion as ''birth control." Unless you want to stretch the implication (it DOES, after all, control an unwanted birth)...abortion is a more serious act... the termination of an unwanted pregnancy.

My position on abortion is my body my choice. My first pregnancy was ended by abortion because the fetus had neural tube defects that were not compatible with life outside the womb and may have been threatening to my life. Yes I wanted a baby and I was heartbroken to end the pregnancy. And because I was so far along I had to go through labor and deliver that baby. When the baby was born there were more defects than they realized. The baby had anencephaly, spina bifida, front line didn't close, cleft lip and cleft palate. 20 years later the father of my children told those children he believed we made a mistake ending that pregnancy. WTF. Which is why we are no longer married. He was at the delivery, he saw the baby. I consider that a betrayal.

I'm sorry! That sucks! What an ass!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4280
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.