Agnostic.com

85 7

How old were you when you got married for the first time?

"For many people, regardless of sexual orientation, a wedding is no longer the first step into adulthood that it once was, but, often, the last. It is a celebration of all that two people have already done, unlike a traditional wedding, which was a celebration of what a couple would do in the future.

Consistent with this shift in meaning, different-sex couples, like the many of the same-sex couples who have married recently, are starting their marriages later in their lives. According to the Census Bureau, the median age at first marriage—the age at which half of all marriages occur—was 27.4 for women and 29.5 for men in 2017. That’s higher than at any time since the Census began keeping records in 1890."

[theatlantic.com]

VictoriaNotes 9 Mar 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

85 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was 28 in 1989.

I was 18. He made me laugh. And was my first best friend. He had drinking issues and I was a happy naive just want to belong to somebody kind of girl and anxious to get out of south Dakota. It worked . A long strange trip but two great kids out of it.

Jayne Level 2 May 19, 2018

25 the first time. 32 the second.

Seventeen -

My wife turned sixteen, fifteen days after our first child's birth. I was also in the Army by that time.

22 fresh out of the war 1974 second marriage for both of us 1993 blending families all 4 of my relationships were 8 years each @ 66 my love should last 5 decades but being single 1981 1991 2002 and 2013 was painful longing for shared living with tender joy

1. You'd think I would've known better.

I was 31 but only got married so that we could legally live together. We were living in Dubai, U.A.E. at the time. Dubai can be quite strict when they can be bothered. We didn't want to get into any trouble with the police for being unmarried and living together. If we were living anywhere else where it wasn't such a big deal, I doubt we would've ever married. We are separated now...lol...

There are quite a lot of couples in the gulf who have no choice but to get married if they want to live with each other. My brother and his wife got married more or less for the same reason however they are still together after 15 years. Though they too would not have got married in a rush if they had the choice.

1. In court, on a christmas day and never to repeat so help me I.

Nineteen In a registry office .

23....way too young imo

after years of abuse on the part of my father i just had to get away. at the time the legal age was 21 in germany, whereas i had just turned 18. so a friend (not lover yet) offered to marry me, for which we decided to travel to the famous blacksmith in gretna green at the scottish border. hitchhiking our way up north we were told, while getting our clothes seen to at a launderette in nottinghamshire, that this option doesn't exist anymore. so we registered right there & then & were wed in newark on trent. the marriage lasted 3 years. ... as did the second, which i also entered into for legal reasons.

the idea of getting a marriage certificate for love never appealed to me, especially as having children wasn't an option i ever considered.

I was 33, I wanted kids, I thought it would last cause I waited so long. I lasted 18 years, I think I have been single now for 6.

marym Level 4 Mar 26, 2018

32, should have waited until I was 102. terrible times, but they are behind me now. whats next?

24, like the TV show

jeffy Level 7 Mar 25, 2018

I agree people are getting married at an older, and hopefully, more mature age. However, I eloped on my 18th birthday mainly to escape a mentally and physically abusive childhood and landed, anyway, in a verbally abusive relationship. Needless to say, it didn't last.

I was 28 and we made it 15 years. It was really good until it wasn't.

32, I would not have gotten married then, Were it not too relieve a third parties mind rather than Hers. Foolish choice. Once was more than enough.

I was married at 17, my wife was 19. I was in high school, she was already graduated, We met at my job (gas station attendant, I'm dating myself) and started dating. She was the first woman I had sex with and it was great! At the time, I thought if you had sex, you got married, and I really wasn't digging living at home, even though I had another year of school to go. She missed a period, so we used that as an excuse to talk my parents into letting the marriage happen the summer before my senior year. She got her period the night before the wedding, but we didn't tell anyone. We stayed married, with a lot of issues, for eight years. I developed a much different view of marriage and sex as I aged.

I was first married at age 18. She was 19. It was 1981. We had been sexually active for about a year, and on my 18th birthday went camping. My father sternly warned us to be careful, assuming we would be engaging in sexual activity at the campsite. Doing it at home was one thing. Doing it in a public area was quite another. He was concerned because the news in Wisconsin included the story of an unmarried couple in the Sheboygan area who were caught having sex and arrested for it. It was technically illegal in Wisconsin at the time for an unwed couple to have sex, but the law was not generally enforced. I don't remember why they dropped the hammer on this couple.

Anyway, my girlfriend got pregnant with my daughter. Wanting to do the right thing, I married her that summer. We had a second child, my son, a couple of years later, but by that time the marriage was already in serious trouble. She would go back to Pennsylvania for months on end to be with her family, typically at the behest of her mother, who hated me and seemed to blame me for getting her daughter pregnant. Whenever she went to "visit" her family, I was never sure whether or not she would return. Married, to a woman who is half ghost, with two kids that I barely know because they're spending so much time in Pennsylvania.

I finally called bullshit on the whole thing and filed for divorce. 5 1/2 years after my first marriage, my first divorce was final. I figured divorce would at least result in a court order that would let me see my kids, but it didn't exactly work out that way. Although I always kept up with my court ordered child support, she never lived up to her end of the visitation order, so I still didn't get to see my kids very much.

20 the first time. I thought I could change a person's colors. Serious error in judgement.

First marriage I was 19.... Waaay too young. That marriage lasted 24 years, alhtough most of the last decade of it we were just going through the motions. Second time around was I wa 46, and that one only lasted just shy of 5 years. Complicated stories surrounding both. Four kiddos with first marriage, none with the second. Last of the four will enter high school this fall.

Ohub Level 7 Mar 25, 2018

Married as a 24 year old and am still happy with the same woman. Don't be jealous! We worked hard for it, never giving up in criseses.

Gert Level 7 Mar 25, 2018

27, lasted 19 years.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:42861
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.