Agnostic.com

45 19

Alone on Thanksgiving Day. How do you cope?

After our divorce, my ex-husband, daughter and I celebrated Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners as a little family of three. For 20 years, Terry and I rotated cooking. We had fun.

Family tradition ends with a new girlfriend

Four years ago, Terry got a girlfriend for the first time in 20 years. "It feels awkward," Terry replied when I asked about Thanksgiving dinner. No more family dinners.

Claire was heartbroken. I felt sad. "Grow up, Terry," I thought. Worse, Terry distanced himself from Claire. His girlfriend doesn't understand their close relationship. Sondra has never been married nor had a child. Claire cried and yelled at Terry. I stayed out of it.

Now that Claire, 29, is married, she spends Thanksgiving and Christmas with her in-laws. Her husband, Matt, has step-parents and parents. Everyone wants a piece of them.

Between Thanksgiving and Christmas, Claire and Matt will drive to Wenatchee over treacherous, snowy Stevens Pass, to exchange presents with Terry and me separately.

Single on Thanksgiving Day

For 3 years, I joined a friend's family for Thanksgiving dinner. But this year, Kami's father had a stroke and her divorcing brother is a nervous wreck. "It's family only this year," she said.

Last night, I checked the Cascade Unitarian Fellowship website where I attended for two months. A generous couple is hosting a potluck Thanksgiving dinner and roasting a turkey. I called and signed up.

I will make and bring Gingerbread-Pear Upside Down Cake.

LiterateHiker 9 Nov 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

45 comments (26 - 45)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Linda, the two cats, & I will hunker down in our "fortress" home... share one Cornish Game Hen. And watch some foreign tv series DVDs. Popcorn will be provided for all. And we're very content with this. But then... we're extreme introverts.

My daughter, Marilyn, had a daughter from a former long term POSLQ boyfriend. She later split but the daughter remained close to her father. Marilyn married another and had a son but the daughter spent most of her time with her father even though he had several girlfriends. The father died (at 54 recently) but the daughter was living with him and his current girlfriend. The both are friends and actually commiserate together. They provide comfort for each other. So many partnerships and many are really complicated.

Marilyn and I were separated for 20 years. I looked for her the whole time. She had my contact information but felt guilty. She told me she thought I would be mad an not want to talk to her so she never contacted me (until pressure from her kids and husband forced her to 'bite the bullet.' I asked her could she ever be so mad at one of her children (she was my only child) that she would cut them off? Sometimes kids have to experience life before they get it.

I'm with you and also alone. Most of my friends get together for the holidays but all have places to go this year. Still, we are lucky in that we have a lot to be thankful for.

Do. Fun. Stuff.

I've been in that place. Dance to some music. Try some yoga exercise.

Go see a friend, or call one, or make one up. Enjoy the things you only can alone.

Oh, and potlucks can be awesome. I like to think of every attendee as a separate dish.

I cannot relate to your daughter or you... the concept of my parents together during the holidays putting their differences aside and having a mature holiday? haaa! I think perhaps she should be grateful for all the years it did happen... of course having something good for so long and then losing it must be hard in its own right but at least she does not Despise the holidays and wish she could sleep through it all. From the time I was a child I have had to split my christmas between my mother's family and my father's family... my dad doesn't really celebrate thanksgiving so that was just shared with my maternal grandparents. Now that my paternal granny is dead I don't celebrate anything with my father anymore and I celebrate xmas with my maternal grandparents and sister (mother is dead phew!).

I think you have found a good alt solution to your predicament and have found a decent substitute for celebrating the holiday. Maybe be thankful for all those years the 3 of you had happy holidays? Some of us never had that and some perspective may help brighten your spirits about it all. 🙂

@demifeministgal

Why can't you relate to my daughter or me? Claire's needs were most important, Terry and I agreed when we divorced.

Claire's husband, Matt, has divorced parents and step-parents. This Claire and Matt are having Thanksgiving dinner with Matt's mother because she was alone last year.

Like most married couples, they feel torn between multiple parents on holidays.

@LiterateHiker Because I've never had those positive experiences with holidays or my parents... the only way the holidays become halfway tolerable was to keep them apart and celebrate them with each separately. well now this is a downer my needs were not important at all it seems. heh 😳

Watch Netflix and complete my continuing education for the year

Have fun. Thanksgiving was never a big holiday at our house, so no plans, no worries.

CS60 Level 7 Nov 25, 2019

I agree that I’d go just for your cake, @LiterateHiker! It sounds delicious and thank you for sharing the recipe.

I now live around a lot of family and we typically get together, but they’re off to celebrate in the tropics this year, so I’ll be making a feast for my daughter and cousin. A couple of my daughters of the heart may be stopping by throughout the day but, overall, it will be casual and relaxed. Lots of card games.

I moved away from family when I was young, and often worked out of town, so I never had “typical” Thanksgiving Day celebrations until recently. Sometimes it was dinner with friends, or at Denny’s, or one year I was in Canada so I worked like I would any other day.

But this year I’ll enjoy making the special menu my daughter requested (including my fancy sweet potatoes and White Chocolate Bread Pudding) and have a chill day.

@Lauren

You are welcome, dear. Have fun with your family!

@LiterateHiker

You as well! I think anyone who tells you it's "family only" is probably a bullet dodged on your part. I've been to Unitarian potlucks and you're so personable that it sounds like a much better time! Let us know how it goes.

@Lauren

Thanks, dear. As an extrovert, I can chat up anyone.

Have fun, I do not celebrate the holiday myself, it irks me ethically.

Should I celebrate the annexation and genocide of the native people, declared less than human by the Pope and that declaration used by the Protestants in order to steal all the land and genocide the natives?

Is that what America is thankful for, a successful genocide?

Is it supposed to be a day where you exercise gratitude for the things you have?
Should that not be every damn day?

And who exactly are you thanking?

During my two Air Force enlistments(1966-1974) the Holidays were really nothing special,I was never in a base long enough to find a good Woman and have a lasting relationship,always on the move, it seemed 6 months to a year and new orders,to move on,after discharge,my poor wages limited my dating, so it was just another day........

You have a good plan. I have an extended family here, but it’s probably the last year as the high schoolers will be leaving for college next year and my roommate will likely move up north to her hometown, where much of her family resides. I’m going to enjoy this one, for the next one could be spent alone.

—edited typos

By the way the Sultan of Brunei has banned Christmas celebrations. If you do you can be stoned or put in jail. I wonder if he also would do it for Thanks Giving.

Any enlightened religionist. Give him the keys to the city!

Thanksgiving...only in America! The Sultan can relax.

@Merseyman1 Also in Canada.... except in October rather than November

Since the Passing of my Daughter last year... there is a certain urgency to keep me from being alone. I flew with my son from Las Vegas to Jacksonville last year for Turkey Day... xmas and New Year... my ex wife and my other daughter came to Las Vegas. Turkey Day I am already in Jacksonville, guest of my first born daughter and ex wife coming in on Wednesday from Puerto Rico. I will be at the Mercy of my ex wife family.  They still call me Uncle Luigi. Used to be in my home when I was married and living in Jacksonville... the torch was passed. I was married on 1980, on a xmas day. I no longer care for those festivities but they don't bother me those who do. I may be in DC for xmas and New Year. What was a sure plan to go there with my DC Days Wingman for old times sake New Year Salsa Ball... Now depends on the developing of a certain relationship. If I go is for the Dancing with my Best Dancing Partner. If I stay is for the Good Love Making.... humn... My Tux is in Las Vegas!!!! Decisions, Decisions. Priorities, Priorities... Got to go and get My Tux... Vegas Bound!!!!  Ohhhh the Life of the Retired Gypsy. Love can wait My Legs are saying. There I go again... Playing with Fire.  And by the way, I can say thanksgiving but I like turkey day better.

@GipsyOfNewSpain

I feel deeply sorry for your loss. Sending you mental rainbows of healing and peace.

@LiterateHiker Received!!!! Thank You Much.

It isn't so much the being alone part as much as it is holiday expectations. I'm cooking a pig, and seeing if any friends want to swing by. I don't anticipate company, I live a bit out of the way.

I'm probably going to spend the day working on projects around the house.

Potluck dinner sounds nice.. I would've volunteered at a church hosted thanksgiving dinner myself if I were alone...

go volunteer at salvation army or someplace if you r feeling so down that will really help you and others

@whiskeywoman

I called homeless shelters to volunteer. As usual, they turned me down. They have more than enough volunteers for Thanksgiving dinner.

@LiterateHiker maybe one of the churches knows someone alone who could use a good dinner and company

@whiskywoman

Read my post. I wrote:

Last night, I checked the Cascade Unitarian Church website where I attended for two months. A generous couple is hosting a potluck Thanksgiving dinner and roasting a turkey. I called and signed up.

I will make and bring Gingerbread-Pear Upside Down Cake.

@Sealybobo

Exactly.

I work through all the major holidays so the staff get those days with family ... I have no family I wish to spend too much time with, so no downside for me.

My brother is a widower ... his second wife died about 10 years ago; he has contact with all of her children, but prefers not to impose on their family dinners. He take a long holiday alone, far away from home, to meet new people, see new parts of the world.

You can have dinner with friends any time. (Or exchange gifts). Add all the societal lies that the history of those holidays brings, its best to skip them together

Have pretty well always spent Thanksgivng with family mostly immediate parents and brothers and theat happenned this year also last month was a good time

Give thanks! 😄

As an introvert, I rejoice being alone on any day.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:431136
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.