Agnostic.com

21 30

LINK I’m Not ‘Blessed.’ I’m An Atheist And I Don’t Need God To Give Thanks Or Show Gratitude

If you need this today before you have to deal with family.... or anyone else.

HippieChick58 9 Nov 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am blessed, but not by some fantasy figure .. life has blessed me.

Exactly.

"I am blessed." "You are blessed." Those words make me CRINGE. I do not want to be blessed by some deity that ignores the basic needs of millions of its supposed creation.

And, I certainly don't need to feel any connection to such a being, or give any such being "thanks" for what I have. I am thankful for, and grateful to, others. I feel more connected to other beings, and the universe itself, as an atheist than I ever did as a believer.

Joanne Level 7 Nov 28, 2019

Blessed? I recognize that I had to PAY for my turkey. Where's the blessing LOL!!!

@IAJO163 Exactly!

Mother Earth is a more logical recipient of our gratitude...I agree 100% with the author of this piece.

I agree.

Thank you for posting this; it was a timely reminder of what I personally believe.

Hope you will be blessed with great sex for thanksgiving! Lol

zesty Level 7 Nov 28, 2019

Focus @zesty..... FOCUS. 👌👌😆

That would be a huge surprise as there isn't anyone in my life right now that would be an acceptable partner. I'm not saying it can't happen, it just isn't in my future plans right now.

@bigpawbullets Focus on what?

I'm usually on the couch when grace is said. I tell them not to ask why.

Without a bit of religion, I'm able to be grateful for my health, status, and friends every day, not just today. Getting together with my best friends on this particular day to enjoy some good food makes me especially grateful. The cashier at Meijer's telling me to "have a blessed day," WTF does that even mean? How does one react if one is not a fellow bible-thumper?

My answer to that is a very flat "thanks...."

@HippieChick58 Back when I was an ornery SOB (LOL), I used to ask, "By whom?" and get into some BS theological discussion with the astounded cashier. These days, I pretty much respond as you do.

In a lot of cases they're just people who mean well. I just say thanks and move on. I had a guy bless me the other day. I gave him the "double guns" fingers as if to say "right back at ya." I don't believe at all, obviously, but eh....it made him smile. No skin off my back.

Of course if you lecture me you'll get the other finger.

I am thankful that my teammates are such wonderful people and have invited me to their Thanksgiving feasts even before they knew I had no family Thanksgiving festivities to attend. I'm thankful that my mom is a kind and understanding person and is comforting me while my life I've become accustomed to crashes and burns around me. I'm definitely not blessed and everyone that says they are (by god) makes me want to puke. I will be truly thankful if I escape today without having to hear any prayers or god talk.

I totally agree with what you have said, you have great Awesome and understanding team mates , 🙂

I feel grateful. As an atheist since age 13, I never say "I'm blessed."

NPR this morning about the so-called holiday we celebrate as thanksgiving (for whom).[npr.org]
"We've been hearing from a lot of people — especially parents and teachers — who are a little queasy about passing on the celebration of Thanksgiving to the youngsters in their lives. And that makes sense. Many people grew up loving the chance to get together with friends and family over a lovely meal and share what made them grateful. But as they got older, they started to feel less sanguine about the holiday's roots."

This!!!

I'm so blessed that my pizza had too hard of a crust today. Next time I will know more about how to place the rack and get better at what I am doing.

Damn, DenoPenno, why did you have to put the thought of pizza in my head? Pizza is, legit, something I could pray to.

I am thankful for the people in my life that participate in making it so wonderful. I'm not "blessed". I worked hard to get where I am, financially secure and stress free. I chose who the people are that are in my circle and which I let go of. I am Extremely happy with a fantastic life and amazing friends and I made that happen, not some invisible friend in the sky. My choices have landed me where I am today and not some pre-ordained mystical working in mysterious ways deity. I am also responsible for the failures along the path to get here and I accepted that and learned from my mistakes and corrected bad behavior and attitudes. So yes I am grateful, thankful and lucky, but not blessed.

I totally agree with you. I feel thankful, grateful and maybe a little lucky sometimes. But blessed? No.

I always wonder why people can't give themselves and the people around them more credit for the condition of their lives. Happiness and/or contentment doesn't just randomly happen. It's a confluence of good choices (among other things). It's okay to pat yourself on the back and say "I did this. Good on me!"

@JustChris Some where in the 20 years I spent in the Navy I was told that luck is when preparation meets opportunity. So yes it's ok to pat yourself on the back once in a while. just not too often, or loudly...lol

It's interesting: people seem to have the feeling that their good fortune may have been provided to them, and being unable to repay or return the fortune feel and intense need to thank whatever entity provided for them....but it's all done just to make themselves feel better.

"I've thanked whoever or whatever entity that may have been responsible for the good fortune in my life. That's all I'm willing to give, and I'm gonna assume that's all they want: a brief thanks. I'm safe! Pass the turkey!"

I'm keenly aware that I'm in the luckiest less-than-1% of humans that has so far existed. The only people I'm directly overtly thankful for are my parents and friends. They truly make my life a pleasant ordeal, lol.

I'm thankful for anyone who pursues utilises and guards the truth, especially scientists, engineers, historians and journalists.

I'm deeply thankful for the unnamed and unknown people all around the world and throughout time that helped make the world better without intentionally harming someone. I imagine it's a short list, lol.

That's about all I am thankful for.

Nope

bobwjr Level 10 Nov 28, 2019

I am thankful that I do not believe in god

Ive never thought of the word as specifically religious. Like, if the queen blesses a boat. But i guess shes acting on behalf of god? Or if someone is blessed with good fortune? And of course theres arguments about native american blessings (or aboriginal etc...) and if that religious or social. It seems like a word thats gotten mostly taken over by theistic religion, but isnt ultimately a religious word. Ie it existed thousands of years ago, in a non religious way, to describe feeling like luck was on your side.

Blessed is one of those words up there with luck. I prefer gratitude.

A very well written piece.

The term , "bless ," means , to make happy . So , I'm sorry you aren't happy . That said , if you're having a big fancy meal with family , perhaps it would make sense to thank the people who prepared the meal and the people who grew the crops and those who brought it to the market and those who bought the food ?

The definition I find for bless is: pronounce words in a religious rite, to confer or invoke divine favor upon; ask God to look favorably on. I'm happy, and very happy I'm not trying to win the favor of an imaginary being. I also frequently express gratitude. I am grateful to those who farmed the food, and prepared the food, I am always aware of our interconnetedness. None of us are an island.

Me either

bobwjr Level 10 Dec 21, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:432262
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.