Agnostic.com

12 9

LINK Canadian Church of Atheism Denied Tax Exempt Status

The Atheists "commandments" are ... hmmm ... i dunno ... silly.

The Canadian legally define "religion" in almost a frightening way given the diversity in Canada. But at least someone was wise enough to not go down the slippery slope of deeming atheism a religion.

SeaGreenEyez 9 Dec 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Can't they get Tax Exempt status as a Non Prophet group?
😉
I'll get my coat.

Wait there's a church for atheism

Up with nonreligious atheism! 🤣

Canada is what America could be if America wasn't rife with stupidity.

But isn't this also true of many other countries one might find more to one's liking?

Don't know enough about Canadian law to opine.

They would have done better to simply follow the lead of other Atheists organization all over the world and incorporated themselves as a secular charitable trust and used that as a precedent to have the courts reconsider the status of so called churches.

As it should.

My teeth grind and my stomach churns when I hear the words “Church of Atheism”. Thank goodness for the common sense decision of the Canadian judges. Atheism is not a religion, these people were trying to exploit the tax system for financial gain and It would have done atheism a great deal of harm if it had been officially recognised as a religion.

I tend to think that something akin to " The Assemblage of Atheists and Agnostics" would sound better that calling at a 'church,' since, to most Atheists, the word "church' simply reeks of Organised Beliefs and Rituals, etc.

creating atheist churches are a way to fight against non secular laws and actions.
Many "rights" and privileges only trigger if you have a religion, that means that you are choose a religion and have those special rights, BUT if you don't have a religion you can't claim them. This way by creating those mock religions it shows that:

1. Beliefs are arbitrary and by claiming religion freedom you can get away with too many things, so this must me limited.
  2. In case of 1 is not observed, you can at least use this special rights and privileges to at least have some space to talk abut rationalism ans science.

Many schools or cultural programs have religion thematic events" where religions have a space to talk.
Some of them includes secularists and/or atheists association, giving non-religion the same rights. BUT some of these events deny secularist organization because they are not religion. So the obvious way is to create a mock religion.

And taxes, of course.

Vegans do the same for food rights. A Jewish or muslim can ask special food, but vegans can't. So they create a church of veganism to claim the right to not eat meat.

@Pedrohbds I don’t agree, but I’m sure others may.

I’m fine with that.

Did anyone see "Hail Satan". I loved it and I guess they did know what they were doing here in the US: "The IRS Officially Recognizes the Satanic Temple as a Church" [rollingstone.com]

I just saw it yesterday. A little uneven, but hilarious at times, and thought provoking.

Idiots like this do more harm than good.

I have nothing against going up against the system, but if you are going to do that you need to know the rules at least as well as anyone you will be dealing with. These people obviously didn't.

Yup it isn't

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:435765
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.