Agnostic.com

19 33

LINK Justin Trudeau moves to ban gay conversion therapy all throughout Canada – DeadState

"Gay Conversion Therapy" has been debunked and discredited, but many Christian groups still swear by it.

In ten year follow up studies of touted "successes" less than two percent were still "cured" while more than three percent had committed suicide. The rest went back to being gay. At least that is what I read back in the late 1990's while in college getting my BA in Sociology.

snytiger6 9 Dec 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Canada just tabled legislation to ban conversion therapy.
[globalnews.ca]

Good for him. That crap is just religiously approved sadism.

What a relief. Christian groups aren’t usually particularly bright in my experience.

There is absolutely no proof this works as the person who developed it came out some years ago saying he made a mistake in the research and now realizes he really made a mess. It is not real and does not work, but that will not stop the gop from funding it as this is the way some of their supporters make a living.

Awesome

Conversion "therapy" is anything but therapy.

It should be banned - outlawed - prosecuted - everywhere - but at least one place is trying to rid themselves of it and that's something.

Yeah, It is more like psychological and sometimes physical torture... that doesn't work.

@snytiger6 And it's not like you can change something that is that much a part of a person.
Nor should anyone want to - or attempt to.

I kind of wish the religious would keep their noses out of counseling. Leave therapy to someone with a less biased view (hopefully).

33 states condone the barberism. More work to do. Marriage Equality is not utopia.

IMO being gay is not a decision one makes......I think being gay is built into one's brain. So trying to change a gay person is a waste of time and is harmful to the gay person. You might have better luck changing left handed people into right handed people. That's been tried and we know it failed.

Wow! I guess they finally figured out it doesn't work or something😂😂

What wonderful news. between this and Trump's impeachment, 🌻🌻🌻

This is a friend who suffered through conversion therapy, as a Mormon. He has survived, is an amazing dancer. Now the group that he left behind is mocking him for leaving religion, by mocking his Choreography. I would say that they are jealous. Benji Schwimmer, you are amazing. live, love, dance.
Source:

Benji Schwimmer posted his story in You Tube

@linxminx totally shocked, the stupid sadistic “psychology” behind it. Agree. I couldn’t believe it either!

AT last Canada is in the 21st century and moving forward while we are still in the 19th and moving backward.

Canada is in many aspects way ahead of us, unfortunately for us.

Good on him. It's a ridiculous concept anyway.

Fabulous news.
The Religiotards have been trying for literally decades or more with their 'conversion therapies' on Gays, etc, with disastrous results and countless suicides it IS about time that the full force of the Law was brought to bear on the Religiotards on Grounds of Human Torture, Crimes Against Humanity, Committing Grievous Bodily Harm, etc, etc.

I call it good news but Christians have to believe in gay conversion therapy. This is because they know that gay people are trying to ensnare them constantly. This is their fear. It then becomes logical to them that it might work in reverse. The reason is that "their god can do anything." Hell yeah! They don't want it to rub off. Then you end up with that poor gay person of either sex who desperately wants to remain Christian when they should be running like hell in the opposite direction. Why would people live like this?

Good news!

Canada sounds better and better all of the time.

In the RV: Up to date passport, some cash. Heave in my dog, some dog food, and my meds, start driving. Can be at the border in about 5 hours, with an "appointment to view" property on Cape Breton Island. That way I can pretty much be nasty to/about drump as much as I want & not get snarled at the border. Go thou & plan likewise!

@AnneWimsey

Awesome! May the force be with you.

@AnneWimsey The people are friendly and the scenery is fabulous all over Nova Scotia.

About time, any chance the USA will get smarter & kinder?

Don't hold your breath.

I don't think anytime soon.... good luck down there...

Probably two chances at the maximum, i.e. Buckley's and Bugger all, in my opinion.

At present it would be pretty long odds.

Fabulous.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:439622
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.