Agnostic.com

80 17

How do my fellow Atheists deal with depression?

Frankly, I personally didn’t find comfort in faith when it came to depression. I would get blamed for it in some cases, “oh that’s just the consequences of sin.” Thanks buddy.

But I’m wondering what some of you do to help with depression? Meds? Therapy? Cuddling? Let me know.

LeeLou 4 Dec 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

80 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The same way anyone else deals with depression. Its a mental illness, not a belief system

I remind myself that nothing is forever – A 'this too shall pass' kinda attitude.

therapy, but also a variety of things i’ve learned can help as preventatives. spending time with loved ones, going for walks with my dog, writing, cleaning/giving myself a productive activity to do, etc. those things won’t be helpful if i’m deep in the pit, but they can clear away the beginnings of bad thoughts and help center me. i’ve struggled a lot with depression and anxiety, and getting out of the worst of it just took a lot of time and patience for myself.

I am lucky and don't get depressed. When I am sad, I:

-Embrace the Stoic concept of Amor Fati.
-If possible fix or remove the reason for my sadness. I have no trouble walking away from negative people or situations.
-If I can't fix something, then accept it. I may not like it, but hey, you can't fix everything.

It helps that I eat a healthy diet, exercise regularly and vigorously, and don't abuse bad stuff. I take no medicine for anything and my weight is good.

Good luck.

Fortunately I'm only mildly depressed and it comes and goes. I do my best to talk myself out of it. Listen to some music or something to take my mind off of it.

Weed and the outdoors.

Excellent answer

Perfect pair😎

I'm probably more depressed now than I was before. I take no meds for it, but just live with it. Nothing is real. We have the god myth and cartoon characters sell us insurance and other products and things. Movies make up entire histories of make believe situations they think we are so enamored with and they just keep going. The world you thought you knew is no longer there at all. Demands of logic and evidence show this as fact. Anxiety comes in and you cannot sleep more than 2 hours at a time but refuse to take meds for it because you have to know what is going on. I just deal with it and refuse to give in to demands of this new idiotic world. Therapy might help but most likely a therapist today would even recommend god. It's all a catch 22.

The demands of the god I was taught caused my depressions. I quit and found what I wanted to do with MY life.

That’s awesome!

The same as Agnostics, probably, even though they're not quite as evolved.

I feel that being an atheist I have a better grasp on life.. I do get depressed and more so since my hubby passed away 1 year ago. Sometimes facing each day can really be a struggle, but i get out meet up with friends for a coffee.. and sometimes in the evening I'll have a little scotch on the rocks.. Each day is different.. IF it's really hard for you then I would seek help...

Enough liquor to feel maudlin. But not enough to have a hangover. The next day I usually feel stupid and get over it.

There are several books out there (Amazon is one place you can find them) written by a woman called Dr. Claire Weeks. She was an Australian doctor (I want to say the 1950's) dealing with chronic anxiety and depression which usually go hand in hand. They are a gold mine of information (and very easy to read and understand) for those who suffer depression. They saved my sanity 30 something years ago and just recently when I had to update my mental 'tool kit' in terms of stinkin thinkin. I cannot recommend them enough. Also St. John's Wort is a go to herbal for depression, Ashwagandha (one of several adaptogenic herbs that help the body deal with anxiety..which fuels depression. It balances cortisol effects on the body), distraction....nature walks, comedy, music..... and seeking out things that provide the individual with happiness. Although I try to avoid pharmaceuticals wherever possible, even they have something to offer to those who seek that route.

Claire Weekes Hope and Help for Your Nerves. End Anxiety now. (Just one of her books. Chapter 18 addresses depression).

St John's Wort worked wonders for me. Unfortunately I can no longer take it because it messes with my blood thinner medication. If you go this route, get high quality and not the cheap stuff you can get from your discount supermarket.

Basically, get some help and/or go out and do stuff you like.

The third movenent of Ludwig van Beethoven's Piano Sonata number 26 (Les Adieux)

I self-medicate.... LOL.....

blzjz Level 7 Dec 27, 2019

I would do a few things that comes to mind. I'd go out to a coffee shop for a cuppacino just to be in an outdoorsy atmosphere with people around or I'd call my neighbour or a friend and say im passing by for tea and chat. ...or is go to the kitchen and whip up a few dishes and listen to music (classic rock) and dance at the same time, it's like therapy.
...or I would go to the mall and buy some flowers and whatever. I love gardening so that's another outlet. I steer far away from drugs or drug dependency. We all get into a rut and feel down or a bit stressed sometimes and best way to snap out of it is to get out and do something like I do. It works for me. Sometimes I would call someone I haven't spoken to in ages from my home town and catch up on what's happening ...and it makes such a difference. It's therapeutic for me.

Well, I don't suffer from depression as medical condition but the times I started feeling depressed I start avoiding alcohol. Sometimes I isolate myself. Sometimes I ring a friend or a relative. Sometimes I try to meet a friend. About that, I'm planning to go back doing tango again, it helps me a lot to deal and, sometimes, avoid being depressed.

I up my B complex supplement, watch old movies that make me laugh and go to the local dog pound to help them out with cleaning cages and walking dogs. I always leave feeling better!!

This is how I see depression (please forgive as it is very a very rudimentary explanation). I see the mind as a coastal city, with waves crashing against the beach, usually in a perpetual state of low tide (people who don't get depressed). For people who have suffered depression, I see the waves as being varying levels of height, from mild to severe, with mild being a little bit higher, moderate being still higher, and severe being at tsunami style levels.

With each crash, the shore gets slowly eroded. If you are strong enough mentally, you can rebuild the shore with using what's around you not just medication. For others who lack the mental fortitude, they require medication and outside help (I am NOT saying anything negative about people who are on meds btw).
For me, whenever I feel depressed, there are times when I feel like crying, and sometimes crying helps. Sometimes being alone helps. Sometimes watching something funny helps. Having done all three it's usually the last one that helps. Whenever I feel so down and depressed I watch parody comedies on youtube (my pf are the movie reviews where the narrator speaks in a monotone voice pointing out flaws in movies that you never noticed before and delivers it in a deadpan way. That, or any Conan O' Brien skit). The benefit of the humour (for me anyway) is forcing yourself to laugh. From there i think it gets easier.

And yes this was a ramble.

I find it terrible (and erroneous) to say "...using what's around you not just medication. For others who lack the mental fortitude, they require..." Depression is not about MENTAL FORTITUDE. Folks who think like this are a big reason there is still so much stigma around depression. ... It's not a matter of will, it's not a matter of "positive thinking." Clinical depression is a mental illness that can be treated with several approaches with varying degrees of success. For me, it has been a life long battle that I shall fight until I pass on.

@JustAskMe if you read youd see that I already apologised in advance for my basic explanation/understanding of how depression works. Whats around you could mean therapy or other means depending on how you want to respond/solve it, ie music, comedy, hobbies/work etc. Regarding mental toughness, it depends on how you look at it. For example, one could see it as what you say, it stigmatises depression by putting the blame on the self for not willing to have a strong enough mind. For others who are not as depressed, for example, if you receive a bad grade in a class and it bums you out, would you not call feeling better the following days (depending on who you are) positive thinking?

This comes across as judgemental and positions yourself as superior: "For others who lack the mental fortitude, they require medication and outside help". Humans are social creatures and relying on social support and networks is natural and is NOT a sign of lacking mental strength. Whoever has taught you otherwise, has done you a huge disservice and lied to you. Also, clinical depression often requires medication to address hormonal or brain problems. That would be like saying people that use insulin for their diabetes lack physical fortitude... it is a SILLY thing to claim! XD

I am trying to figure that one out myself. I was on antidepressants for a couple of years in the 90's and they certainly worked. Maybe the VA will let me get on them again. Cuddling is good too, but that ain't happening.

Meds cuddling,sex

bobwjr Level 10 Dec 27, 2019

You do what anybody does, find a good doctor who treats your actual symptoms, not some airy-fairy BS about how gawd is punishing you!

What? Why are you attacking me? 🙂 that’s just what I was told sweetheart.

Not every case of depression, particularly chronic depression, can be cured by medication. Or talk therapy.

@BitFlipper There's soo many therapies out there though. There's cognitive behavioral, dialectical behavioural, trauma focused therapy, psychotherapy, etc. Do not discount therapy unless you've tried em all 😉 I bet you just have not found the one that works for you. 🙂

@demifeministgal therapy is a process, and I am in the midst of one of those now. It isn't like flipping a switch.

@LeeLou so, Sweetheart, if they tell you to jump off a bridge, you do it? HOW THE HELL am I "attacking" you, exactly? Then, not now......

@BitFlipper Oh okay that is good. I was concerned you had written off the whole field, the way people do at times with therapy or medicine. But it seems not. Keep at it. 🙂

I haven't been depressed since I was ten years old... I listen to music and dance all day long... With my baby...

Depends what the cause is of the depression, sometimes it is health related or seasonal or stress related. Meditation and laying out an action plan can help to overcome the stress related version, often we find we aren't as bad off as we imagine. A regular walk is helpful as exercise helps with depression. Sun tanning beds help in the winter as well as supplementing with Vitamin D and there are special lamps you can buy for S.A.D. type depression.
One thing I do not do is pray to an imaginary friend in the sky who doesn't like masturbation or shrimp because that would really be depressing.

I’ve tried lots of things. I’m just wondering what’s works for others.

Masterbation is great.

@LeeLou nobody knows exactly what you want and need better than you do yourself. 👍

@Surfpirate I get great ideas from others. But yeah the choice is mine ultimately

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:442780
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.