Agnostic.com

78 8

Would u marry a theist?

See, I have always thought about marriage but the fact is in my area Atheists are few.. Would you marry a theist? I can if they don't bug about going to church..

Robertnicolas52 4 Jan 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

78 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Most likely not.

Depends on the god and what their belief means in relation to other people. Deists are theists who don't have a religion attached to their belief. I'd have no problem with that as their belief would have no effect on the relationship except accepting that they can't let go of a irrelevant god. However, if their god was part of a religion in which there were requirements, not only on the believer, but those who the believer interacts with, I'll pass.

As a general principle I'd say no, but being on the outside looking in. I myself would shy away from such a relationship but only in such a relationship would I have to make such a decision.

No. Religion is about sex control. Male entitlement. Female delusions to excuse sluttiness. Breeding for ancestors and alleged gawds or the fatherland. If you want sex and children DON'T BREED MORE BELIEVERS.. Marry a scientist from your nearest University where Atheists are concentrated. It is not too late for you to be a Feminist Atheist scientist yourself. Patriarchy is rapacious....

Really hard decision,, no

NopeNopeNopeNopeNopeNopeNopeNopeNopeNope

Ohub Level 7 Jan 5, 2020

I am all but married to a man who says he believes in a god but cannot tell me anything about that god except that he invented evolution. It isn't a big issue. We don't keep kosher, although he won't eat pork. More ham for me! I don't mind going to shul on the high holy days. It is actually interesting and enjoyable. The only thing is, he isn't too fond of my ag dot com t-shirt lol. Well he doesn't have to wear it 😀

g

I would. I don't think religious beliefs would be a problem. The only issue I would have is regarding kids. I would want them to decide if they would follow religion or not only when they are adults.

I have been dead set against it, but narrowing down the dating pool to just non-believers is pretty tough. Especially since atheists and agnostics seem to be very opinionated in other areas.

SCal Level 7 Feb 16, 2020

I would , I am a theist, if a theist is a person who believes their is a creator, but maybe isn't sure, (Agnostic?). I certainly do not believe a creator loves us, other then a gardeners loves his/her garden. If a shrub grows too big or shaggy, you throw it out, (as in the meteor strike mass extinction event, like say in dino times?).

I try not to yell as much about religion, (as I used to) or the fact that I hate virtually all extremist religions sects. I only go to church when I am forced. Kinda like the 3 times I went to a Baseball Game, mets twice, yanks {1 time, the incredible edible seats, with the wedding reception free food, and cracker jacks(natch)}.

But why would a theist care if your an Atheist?

What's marriage? Lol

Yes, Judiaism

Living in the Bible belt, it's probably the only outcome for me. I could do it, but without the church trips like you said.

Depends on how much they respect me as an individual with my own mindset and beliefs.

I would go to church for them out of love, but I will make it clear to everyone there that I am no believer and I am there for my love of the person I'm with.

Sure. I can envision loving & marrying a theist.

Just depends, but believe, prolly, but highly religious, prolly not, but again just depends. How is it any difference than a black and a white, an Italian and a jew, a democrat and republican. Look at all the beliefs, similarities, and differences as a whole instead of any 1 single aspect. But in general ppl are to simple minded, not to concentrate on 1 aspect that's different than their own

No

Depends on how devout they are & what religion. BaHai, Unitarian, Zoroastrianism, worship of me.

It would depend on how much of a theist they are. Often, many people only claim to be associated with a religion, but don't actually carry out the activities of that religion.

Personally, anything more than a very distant association with a religion would be too much.

If you openly discuss marriage with a "bible believer" you should bring up from the text what it says they should do. If you are trying to marry a "Hatty Potter heliever", I wouldn't know what to suggest.

2 Corinthians 6:14 14 Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what [a]fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what [b]communion has light with darkness?

Read this aritical or something simular to get an ideal from biblical perspective. [thriveglobal.com]

Word Level 8 Jan 5, 2020

I’m not sure if I’d marry anyone, I’ve certainly not felt like it so far. Isn’t marriage a religious concept?
I’d want to be with them a while first and see that things worked well, if it did, and their faith hadn’t got in the way thus far I’d probably consider it.

@motrubl4u oh yes, I found an interesting article about it. [yesterday.uktv.co.uk]
Seems it actually relates more to creating a family unit for raising children; something else I personally have no need for. I have heard that it can ruin a good relationship by changing the dynamics though 🙁 and others find it works well 🙂 so an unnecessary risk in my case, to date.

@motrubl4u does that imply that you’re now happily married?

If the person is theist by the family , and not a militant, you can. But remember, when children come she will force them to have her religion and the problems arise!

Been there, done that. The last one I married had a grandfather who was a bishop in Legio Maria in Kenya.

I suppose the easy part is how they deal with you. The hard part is looking to the future in how children are raised, family dynamics, how devout they are, etc.
Worse case is needing to go head to head with religious leaders with spouse stuck in the middle.

Was married to a theist...but at the beginning so was I. Eventually I was no longer able to believe...and eventually the marriage ended. Not exactly or only because of that...but I think those differences had something to do with it.

Future hypothetical? Theism, as in a "personal interactive god" is not something I am comfortable with. Perhaps a deistic belief would not be an issue in a partner..but a strong theist would likely be a problem. However there are many people out there that have religious beliefs that for all practical purposes do not interfere with their lives. Perhaps I could have a relationship with someone like that.

Robeh Level 4 Jan 5, 2020
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:446132
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.