Agnostic.com

14 21

LINK What I think about COVID-19 this morning - Google Docs

Really good advice The author writes I am a social epidemiologist and demographer by training. I have a master of public health and a doctorate in public health from UCLA Fielding School of Public Health.I work as an Assistant Scientist in Health Geography at the Applied Population Laboratory at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. I study social contact of humans, and spatial patterns of infectious disease, among other things.

I didn't write this for professional purposes, so I didn't put my work email on it. It was really just meant to be an email to my friends and family in advance of what I expect to be an escalation in the panic level. But it was apparently welcome information and went viral on FB. I've decided not to edit out the swears, even though I wrote this with a much smaller audience in mind.

Thanks for checking your facts! Go science!

HippieChick58 9 Mar 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

FYI....there's lots of other - far worse - infections out there...

Very complete and thorough article.. I've done a lot reading about the corona virus and already knew about the things he wrote here...

Very good. Tnx. Keep putting out the word.

The only thought I had was on making your own cleaners. Yes, vinegar never works. Great on stains. One can buy a spray bottle of spic and span (kills 99.9%) for a buck. It works and how much is your time concocting something worth?

Excellent article

So, I can come out from under the house? I think I got a cold from being under there.....

I didn't give it much thought this morning. I'll try to not give it so much thought tomorrow either. I hope it is bothering the hell out of germaphobe Trump.

Today's leak story from the White House is the germaphobe and staff is freaked out over his CPAC contact.
If Karma existed - it needs to do its job. And no, I don't believe in it; tRump gets sick it is happenstance.

I am immuno-suppressed and I am afraid.
My daughter is in the medical profession in a large east-coast city and they are already dealing with it on a daily basis. SHE has dealt with it.
But...
Thank you for this. I felt much better after reading it.

I believe some of Malia's numbers are off. The press generally reports that the death rate from the flu is 0.1% not 1 to 2 percent. Otherwise, I agree with the commentary.

I am old and my daughter is asthmatic so I am thankful Italy has quarantined their northern provinces and we cannot go on our trip. That said I'm not going to restrict my daily routine but I'm going to try to keep my hands off my face and wash my hands more thoroughly. Media advice that cannot be emphasized enough.

I refuse to allow the media fueled "Corona-panic" to alter my lifestyle.

The damage done to the world economy will prove to be far worse than letting 19 naturally spread.

Last year, 80,000 died in the US alone from a new flu. This year, back to the average 30,000 per year.

The same will be with 19. If 19 is stopped from doing its duty this year, next year will be worse.

[slate.com]

A friend of mine is a microbiologist and his position doesn't differ much from yours. The media, be it press or social, makes this thing blow out of proportion.

We continue to have elected officials in Congress and the Senate NOT doing the job they were elected to do. An okay solution was in the works that would have helped stop surprise billing but a couple of senators nixed that by coming up with a different idea, thing is one of those senators is heavily invested in medical services that promote surprise billing/out of network providers so his solution does not realy solve the problem. 😟

The usual money over lives at play here. And people support this kind of behavior?

@Fred_Snerd Until the people are all sick or dead so the source of money is dried up. It's called being shortsighted and many economist are just that. Short term profits are all that matter. Right now it looks as if the short time, time is up!!

Thanks for posting this.
Facts are always better than panic and hysteria.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:468199
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.