Agnostic.com

85 9

Should women still act like women and men like men?

What I mean with this question is should the man be the one pursuing the woman and should women still be feminine and enjoying being courted?
Because of equality the lines have gotten so muddled that men sometimes feel insecure and women feel they have to be very strong. What is your guys take on it?

Lovewins 5 Mar 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

85 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Ew gender roles

<That is up to the individual. Less I remind you that you will be treated as you are precieved!

I believe that human should be human.
So much in this world can change someone, shape that someone, make it different from the neighbourg or the next guy. I believe that what is happening is that society whants us to be different. They want us to be mold in a very diffinitive way. Mans have to be square and women must be circle (or trianle, or rectangle. Use the shape you prefer here).
But the more we evolve and the more we see that his is not it. Some mans are women trying to act like man because of some stupid book writen 1600+ years ago. And some women want to be man, but they have to hide it.
And we believe that we have to act like this because of this society we are in.
We HAVE to be productive, we HAVE to have a good job, we HAVE to have the house, the car, the boat, the cat been chased by the dog, the kids, the canoe, we HAVE to get it together. And somewhere along the lines, we lost what it was to be human. And man are insecure beause they no longer know what it is to be... and women feel like they HAVE to be strong otherwise they won't make it, they won't be, the kids won't be feed, the family won't become because her man or her women is down on her knees, wondering: "Where the heck am I? What the heck am I?" Where the hell did we go wrong?
Society has messed us up. We no loger know who we are. We are being brainwashed and bombarded by subliminal signals everywhere and we wonder what is happening. "Obey!" "Consume!" "Listen!" "Work!" "Pray!" "Good boy! Here is your pay"
Humans are stong. We don't have to pretend. But our foudations are now so week that we have problems getting out of bed. We need to rediscover what it is to be human. From there, we will all blossom.

Personally i think it will all come out in the wash. It's individual and whatever works with who you are spending time with. Some women i know would be horrified by anything but joint decisions on everything pretty much (rightly so imo). Other females i know actively want mild dominance and a man to be a man / primate lol.

I am a Romantic, at heart and until I die, I write poems, songs... I treat the woman as a lady... I am very secure of never ending with a broken heart. But that is just me... because is how I choose to be. Every predator at some point will be a prey. Is the mating game. The trap is set... the hunter/hunted waits. But everything should be about you... Do you enjoy the courtship? Because if you dont... there is no fun and a man should understand that.

I think depending on what the parties like to do for one another
If you are ahppy with that i don't see there is a problem.

Rosh Level 7 Mar 31, 2018

I think the equality of sexes is more about respecting the autonomy of women. Some men were never taught how to do that, and think it’s a juggling act. Men just have to get used to not all women being receptive (which is kinda the point, right?). If a woman wants to make it easier, don’t drop hints, send a bat signal.

Marz Level 7 Mar 31, 2018

When It Comes Too Romance I Think Men Still Court Women With Chivalry.

Coldo Level 8 Mar 31, 2018

No now that #Metoo! has come out of the closet, there will be more woman pursuing men. And thats if men feel comfortable with it. Feeling comfortable in your own skin as people not opposite sexes. Everything is going to change from here on end. Hopefully people are not going to get weirded out about it.... Equality has been formed pretty much back in the 60's, for race, religion and sex. I do believe it will carry on into the so called "New Age" thats coming about.

It is all circumstantial. I do not suffer fools gladly, as the saying goes, and I expect to be strong when life demands it. My partner should do the same.

We live in an androgynous society.

Nothing has really changed for me as I never acted like a creep to begin with. I have pursued and been pursued. I am just me.

You should be yourself. If you enjoy being pursued great. if enjoy pursuing then have at it.

I would not expect anyone to be something they are not. These social norms you are talking about are just that, older social norms which are being challenged by younger generations. I don't think that's a bad thing. Where is it written that men have to pursue and women have to sit and wait to be pursued? gag If I like someone, I talk to them. I date men and women and I think a lot can be gained by learning to both pursue and be pursued. Women are enculturated to wait and wonder while men decide to ask them out. Look at lesbian culture and you will see that this can be done away with when the expectations are gone from such enculturation.

I think people should be free to behave in ways that please themselves.

I tend to be dominant and a blend of both masculine and feminine. So if I wanted a particular man, I pursued him, and didn't wait for him to notice me. The key to my success was, I think, putting men at ease, being open and curious, warm and affectionate, taking a deep interest in them, touching them frequently (their hand, their arm) and being comfortable talking about sexuality.

A man can be masculine and a man can be feminine. A woman can be feminine and a woman can be masculine. That's my take on it anyways. There's nothing wrong with identifying as the gender you feel most strongly with. Whether that be cis or trans.

People are going to have a spectrum of variation in sexual dimorphism, and this dimorphism can also be psychological, not just physical, due to all species of factors, really.

That being said, it's not really sensible to try to make people act a certain sex-specific way, when almost nothing is known about those people.

One can talk about health implications about certain lifestyles, but that's really it, anything else is going to be traumatic to a person.

People are people and there is a broad spectrum of behaviors that may or may not be related to their physical characteristics. It is an old issue but I think people just need to be allowed to be and not tie it to male/female masculine/feminine since a lot of those definitions vary subjectively themselves

The key word in your question is "act". Men and women shouldn't act like anything and just "be", and not worry about fulfilling anybody's expectations. Granted that's easier to say than to do for a number of folks. But you shouldn't stop being yourself just because some arbitrary set of rules makes it harder. Men have always felt insecure, women have always felt the need to be very strong. Acting in a way that denies any of it will inevitably hurt you.

I think we should all act like who we are. The entire "act like" thing is societal pressure. I say screw societal expectations. Accept me as I am or fuck off. I'm a human who is made up of emotions, experiences, morals, and I will not conform to societal pressure. It's easier since I turned off the TV over 20 years ago. I'm not inundated with forced pairing expectations. Sometims I'm insecure (not very damned often) and that's okay. Be the change you want to see in society.

Gender roles are ridiculous and outdated. They served a purpose - possibly - in caveman times, but the industrial and informational revolutions have made them mostly obsolete. I do believe that we will see them decline in the next few generations. I certainly know that teenagers today see gender roles and gender identity as more spectrum-based than binary.

I do not think that traditional roles have ever worked well for everyone. I think each person should act according to the own natures and desires as to who pursues in courtship.

I think it would depend on the situation. I for one am not an agressive chaser, so if I don't get an I'm intersted signal then i do not push it. On the other hand I'm not opposed to being chased so it depends.

BillF Level 7 Mar 31, 2018

I've done it both ways. If a man wants to court me I'm all for it.

Since most men, me included, can't fathom how to connect, I think there would be more connecting if women took over 😉

SamL Level 7 Mar 31, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:46895
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.