Agnostic.com

9 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think blind faith in anything undermines good thinking.

Absolutely. It is one bane of the societies, that will continue to hold Africans down, from developing for years to come.

When some one is sick, very sick and dying, it is God will. When a corrupt politician embezzled public funds, it is in God's hand and God only can punish him.

Africans are totally suck into senseless of thinking they cannot do anything for themselves. It is all in God's hands.

Make me so sick

Read Erich Fromm's book, ESCAPE FROM FREEDOM.

which basically posits that since the renaissance society is more and more desperate to forgo the freedom of thought which the renaissance implies

@pgrobinson Srange. It almost seems that we read two different books. That is NOT the message I found in ESCAPE FROM FREEDOM. What I got was the message that when people feel weak, powerless, and/or inadequate, they are prone to escape from the freedom that they have by buying into a total system ideology like religion and become a member of a more powerful community of true believers.

Yes it does but the religious will tell you they have logic and evidence. I don't see that they have either.

That is the whole point of it.

The ability to think critically (among other cognitive skills) is one of the foundations of my world view.

My Dad always instilled into me that EVERY problem has a solution, every answer has a question, every question deserves an honest and true answer.
Plus one of his biggest and best, imo, policies for want of a better word, " If there is a tool, etc, you need to do a job and you either haven't got one, can't afford to buy one or even borrow one, then use your brain, design one, make it and use it."
Which I used quite a few years ago now, I needed a tool, rather than a crowbar and shovel, to dig post-holes 600mms wide and 1,800mms deep for fence I was erecting.
Couldn't afford one of those fancy ones from a Hardware Store, coudn't borrow one, couldn't afford to hire one, so I grabbed some heavy duty steel pipe, cut it to 1,980mms in length, welded on a system that allowed me to add a heavy duty ratchet tool to the top, cut a series of sharp, angled teeth into the other end and Voila, a Post-hole Borer that I can sit on a stool and operate with relative ease that digs through some the hardest soils and stones in my yard.
Thanks once again Dad, Aussie Bushman ingenuity comes to the fore once again.

As a Lecturer once stated, categorically, during my studies to gain my ThD.
" The parameters of Faith are such;
a) One must NEVER question,
b) One must NEVER attempt to apply reasoning, etc, to ANY and ALL religious teachings,
c) One MUST TRUST explicitly what you are told, no matter the interpretation, etc,
d) the Laws of God and religion are paramount and beyond the Laws of Man,
e) doubt/doubts are the open door/s by which the Devil enters and once in will never leave,
f) One MUST submit oneself completely and without reservation to the beliefs of the religion and those teaching it, else God shall turn his back to you and yours unto a thousand Generations have passed.
That is Faith, that IS what Faith demands and requires of you."
And when I offered up my question referring to " Free Will being the gift of God to mankind" the response was as such.
"Free Will as per God is the gift for a MAN to choose the woman he so desires so that HE may bring her and the children she bears him into the Light of God, that IS the only Free Will that God has gifted unto man and man alone for women were NEVER gifted with anything from God other than to be subservient, submissive and obedient to men, bring forth his children from her womb, tend to his every needs and any woman who fails to give her husband male children has both failed him and God alike."
Needless to say that I totally disagreed completely with him and his interpretations 110% throughout my studies and still remain a 100% ardent Atheist.

Science: answers that must always be questioned.
Religion: answers that must never be questioned.

@K9Kohle789 Yep, I was brought the same way by my Dad, question everything, search out answers for yourself, seperate out the Pros and Cons, then, and only then, decide for yourself.
It'd would be an even money bet that that ideloogy was the foundations of my life-long Atheism and the true reason for my being actually expelled from EVERY single Sunday School in every religion in town by the time I was 9 years old PLUS banned from attending Primary and Secondary School Compulsory Scripture Classes until they were abolished in 1965.

I believe ‘blind faith,’ is mentally unhealthy and has been true as far back as we go, with recorded history!

And I can't think of a better demonstration than the way the evangeloons are supporting a president who is the antithesis of their Jesus!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:471031
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.