Agnostic.com

12 15

What's happening inside your little bunker?

When sewing, I let my OCD freak flag fly. Perfect for sheltering in place alone.

Last August, I felt disgusted with the corduroy jacket I was sewing because it was a constant lint explosion. Black lint was everywhere: on my clothes, tablecloth, floor, bathroom, kitchen, bedrooms, furniture, etc. "I'll never wear it," I thought.

Looked up seam finishing. "When a jacket is unlined, a Hong Kong seam finish keeps the inside beautiful and the seams from unraveling." Music to my ears.

Like letting a demanding 600-lb. Sumo wrestler into the ring

Suddenly I was very busy. Hong Kong seams took over 20 extra hours. I made the beginner's mistake of adding them after constructing the jacket.

Absorbed in a project, eating becomes a recurrent chore.

This time, I'm adding it after sewing a seam, and before any crossing seams are stitched. Time-consuming but worth it.

The Result

People gasp when they see inside the black jacket. "I like the inside best!" a woman said.

The seams are sealed. No more lint explosions.

Photos:

Inside back of the jacket I'm sewing. Only the right seam has Hong Kong seam so far. When I caught myself un-sewing- Hello, seam ripper - I gave up and went to bed.

Outer back section of the jacket I'm sewing.

Surprise! Inside the black corduroy jacket. My first attempt at Hong Kong seams.

The finished corduroy jacket I love. Made sleeves to fit my long arms.

LiterateHiker 9 Mar 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Same as always. I never leave my property as I have a "servant" who permits me this isolation. Cleaning my bird feeders & houses, cutting down dead sumac, & sorting the deceased spouses mass of books, video games & CDs. which are stacking up in the garage awaiting Goodwill & Books for Africa. The roads around the house are far more quiet, somewhat resembling when I moved here, prior to the 30% increase in population noise that I am trying to escape. Nature fights back.

I have to go out to work, Corrections Officers are essential employees.

I had a sustained conversation, at 7 feet away, with a gas station attendant last night, the longest contact I've had in 2 weeks with anyone outside the department.

I set up a skype account and am watching To Kill A Mockingbird together with my daughter on the other end of the line, at her mom's house. That's the closest we're going to have to her coming over for the weekend for several weeks.

Nice work!

So far I've installed, then expanded a simple lighting control system in the main living areas of the house and garage, swapped a bunch of light fixtures out to match the new ceiling fan, reconfigured a bunch of the switches, got the garage cleaned out enough to actually park a car in it, moved approximatly 1000 pounds of vintage audio gear from the garage to the back bedroom, and have been trying to figure out why baking bacon over here requires 2/3 more time here than it does on the coast.

My "job" is managing my 85 1/2 y/o folks healthcare and finances with the perk of trying to get mom from driving anywhere because she's bored. So technically I'm still working my day job. Yippie.

Been refreshing up on acoustical room treatments (amazing how much one can forget on a subject) regarding bass transmission and cancelling standing waves, then onto higher frequency reflections/absorption to actually begin designing my listening room. The aforementioned vintage audio gear then gets inventoried (I inherited a friends projects so don't really know everything that's there) and then I'll start the rebuild/repair/upgrade phase, try them out and probably sell them to fund the gear I want (which is a whole project in itself).

Now with spring here it's time to start the irrigation system (once I can get the backfliw certified) and onto yard work - by which i mean open negotiations with the neighbor kid to mow the lawn.

I sure miss going out to dinner, though.

1of5 Level 8 Mar 25, 2020

You Rock!

I, on the other hand, am working on PS4 thumb syndrome. I am pretty sure they will fall off soon . . .

I've been watching the movie channel.. Today I saw
Rebel without a Cause
James Dean and Sal Mineo

Followed by
Giant
Rock Hudson, Elizabeth Taylor, James Dean

Very good work on the jacket dear 😊😋

@Cutiebeauty

Thank you very much.

Finally got Hong Kong seams done in the front and back. On to the shoulders.

With decades of practice, I'm good at setting in shoulders and sleeves. It's an art. Garments drape from the shoulders.

That almost sounds like a film class required watch list . . .

I'm seriously considering upping my antidepressant dose.

Chillin and watching tv

bobwjr Level 10 Mar 24, 2020

Talent and patience. Really incredible.

@gighein

Thank you, dear!

I'm "teaching" first and sixth grade.
It's been an interesting almost-two weeks.
I just sent them out for PE.
"Go ride your bikes!"

I'm bloody exhausted.

Thats great! Keep up the good work.

BTW, I got great odds from Harrah's on you lasting at least 2 months doing this before you break down.

STAY STRONG!

@1of5 I appreciate the "encouragement".
If your bet pays off, sure hope you plan on splitting the winnings.
Pretty sure I'll need the money.
🤣

@KKGator I believe in you - I would have taken the "under" if I didn't - and yes, I'll split the 20 with you.

Stir crazy and it has only been three days!

You are quite talented! 🙂

@BestWithoutGods

Thank you so much! The mother of my best friend taught Jami and me to sew the summer before we went into 7th grade. "Sewing will keep you out of trouble." We took to sewing like ducks to water.

Prom dress I made, age 15. That night, Darryl, 18, asked me to marry him. Appalled, I replied, "No, I'm going to college." Broke up with him the next day.

I've done some online learning. Then made some models. Hopefully get around to painting my toys next week. I was feeling artistic, which is nice.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:474987
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.