Agnostic.com

82 10

How do you feel about the person you're dating talking about their ex?

This is usually on the top of what people "don't want to hear" about during a date. How do you feel about it personally?

• 31 votes
  • 11 votes
  • 51 votes
  • 20 votes
  • 12 votes
  • 32 votes
silvereyes 8 Apr 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

82 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Depends largely on the type of talking. If he has nothing nice to say about her, I figure that someday it will be me he is trashing. Conversely if he can't stop talking about great she was, I figure he is going to be going back to her someday

It would depend on many things: How long had we been dating? How long had it been since I dated and why? My husband had been dead 5 years before I started dating and so I expected there to be conversations around exes as a natural part of getting to know each other. There were widowers and divorcees and what they said was very telling so it paid to be attentive, in order to really know what they were looking for by dating me.

Those who can't get past talking about their ex no matter what the subject may be raising a red flag that they aren't over the relationship, but as others have said, with a long-term thing like a marriage with children, you'd need to allow a lot of slack, since nearly every experience probably involved either ex or kids.

Comparisons like "I loved the way he styed his hair, you should try it that way", or "Why don't you get your nails done, she used to" need some immediate communication around them if you like the person otherwise, because this type of thing may create resentment later on.

My advice is keep your eyes and ears open as well as your mind to know what you're getting into.

I think it depends on the context

I'll let everyone know as soon as I find someone to date.

it depends on the circumstances. from previous experience it never bothered me. but those were not more than brief mention or comparisons. so that was enough for my desires.

I think it depends upon the context. If it's essentially out of the blue, and just some kind of rant, that's a red flag. Or perhaps worse, if it seems to be brought up at slightest tangential context, that's also a red flag. In both cases, it signals to me that the other person probably hasn't moved far enough beyond an ex or exes.

Certainly, there are instances when it would be acceptable, if it's directly related to the context, but even then the nature of the recollection matters as well. The only manner I can think of that would be suitable is a rather live and learn attitude.

If it's right out of the gate, there just might be an issue. If it's a lot, there just might be an issue. Over time, a little at a time, it really just isn't avoidable. There are going to be happenings that draw it out. And what better way to become informed of matters that may or may not cause a degree of discomfort in a relationship that could potentially be a benefit. If I had a partner that within our relationship never found that draw as mentioned, I'd be about as worried as the one that couldn't get out of the gate without repeated mentions.

"Out Of The Illusion " Group

I hate it to be truly honest here. It sets a person up to be your grief counselor. I do not mind helping out friends that need my advice but I will not coddle this person into thinking I am needed in that respect. People can suck the life out of you with their past ex's and maybe you could write their book for them. What I am trying to get across here is this is how the drama starts and stays there, it sometimes never leaves us and dwelling too much on one person or thing leaves us stuck.

Not my business.

Marz Level 7 Apr 1, 2018

Just a sec.

I found the pork in my tamale.

nom.nom.

I don't thin'k many of us are virgins.

Speaking of the before is natural.

I wouldnt want to be involved in acting like a therapist for a former relationship, At my age I hope there have been others and it would be hard to talk about this person's life without including past partners. I do pay close attention to how they are discussed though

Yes on the therapist angle. I'm a problem solver by nature and am trained as a therapist so it's hard not to fall into that trap sometimes.

I am OK with it. At my age everbody has a past!

If they were in a long relationship, of course they're going to have their ex in a large majority of their past experiences and important parts of their history. If you're so threatened by that, then maybe you aren't ready for a real relationship. You're not a middle schooler.

HOWEVER that said, keep the past in the past. Pasts are important. We are who we are because of everything in our past. To pretend like you never loved your ex is to deny a part of what has made you who you are. Think on it like an old childhood memory. Don't let that memory dictate today.

Yes, their ex may be an important part of their past life, and an occasional, casual mention is okay, but on a date with someone else, it can be offputting if done too much. That doesn't mean the person he/she is with is threatened by it or not ready for a real relationship--although it can mean that the person talking about the ex is not ready....it just means that it can be inappropriate. And rude. And disrespectful to their current date.

@marga if you're in a relationship with someone, not the first or second date. I figured that was clear in my comment

@LadyAlyxandrea Either way...

@marga oh I'm sorry I thought people who you're in a long term relationship with wanted to know stuff and stories from your past or basically anything about you but heaven forbid anything at all have to do with an ex. Nevermind sorry I forgot we ARE middle schoolers

@LadyAlyxandrea There's nothing to get upset about, and no reason to call anyone names (which is pretty middle-schoolish, lol). I was not disagreeing with you, I was just agreeing and adding more to what you said.

Obviously, there's a difference between casual or not-yet-serious dating and a long-term commitment.

@marga I didn't name call. I said WE. A general blanket statement, and I never claimed I was mature. If we agree that in a long committed relationship it's fine but in the beginning of a relationship is different, then all is well

I'm not thrilled about it but small doses are bound to surface, so if I'm the one asking questions about the ex, then its ok. Lol

It depends on the context. I dated a lady in Denver whose ex would come hang out with us. I liked him. My ex-wifes' ex came to town and stayed with us for a couple of days to see his daughter graduate, and l liked him better than l liked her. I just don't want to hear them bitch about the ex.

Our past accounts for who we have become. Some has been edifying and some damaging. A person who loves who've they become and appreciates others for who they've also become has no difficulty sharing ANY life experiences, joyful, hurtful or teaching. Without the past included who are we?

I would be surprised to find out I'm dating someone.

We all talk about our exes to some extent. It would depend entirely on the situation in which it comes up.

JimG Level 8 Apr 1, 2018

Oh and she's saying his willy is bigger she's straight our the door ....

In my case - he lost his wife not even a year ago - so I expect him to have "moments", and want to talk about her. Though it can get a bit old at times ...

That's a lot different to talking about an ex.

@bingst I hear ya. In some ways yes, for sure - in others , very similar. Still dealing with good and bad memories, and a relationship ending when one party definitely did not want it to end. Residual damage is still damage to be dealt with by both people trying to forge a new path nevertheless.

Exs are going to come up on conversation as in, "when i went to over there with my ex, ...." or "i realized giving up things i want to do just because my ex wasnt into it is not good for a relationship."

Now if its nothing more than a "my ex bitchfest" yeah, not so much.

Mostly, it depends on how they are talking about their ex. If it is about how lucky they were to get away. That's OK. If it's about how nasty they were and all men (women) are the same. Not OK. If it's about how they really messed up and the ex got away. That's really not OK.

This! If all of their exes were crazy or bad, well there's one common denominator there.

@Blindbird that's how it was in my last relationship, she had nothing good to say about her exes. The one I met seemed like a nice guy. I never trashed my exes, they were good people.

@Blindbird There is that! I guess hearing some good about an ex could be OK. But not all the time. That would be like trying to compete with a fantasy.

@Condor5 So, why are they ex's???

@Normanbites not all relationships end because someone did something wrong. Sometimes it just doesn't work.

@Normanbites does that matter?

@Condor5 Well, that's all just a matter of perception and (mis)interpretation, right?

@Blindbird There's always a reason. Many benign, I'm sure. But it would make a prospective ex curious, right?

@Normanbites I think the important thing is that we hold no grudges or ill feelings toward one another now.

@Condor5 Yep that would be a big waste of time ... though hard lessons learned should not be forgotten.

@Normanbites, or else they may be repeated.

I'm good with it as long as it is not negative. Not that I want them fauning about them either.

Especially at first it should be kept as a minimum. If a girl won't stop talking about their ex. No matter what it will makes me believe they are not yet over them in some fashion. Whatever the reason is it doesn't matter. The only thing you need is a friend and time to get over them. I usually never talk about exes especially when I first begin dating. I feel at that point it's like your conjuring them.

I think the past is the past - I make a point of not mentioning exes to current partners. It's not that it 'bothers' me as such - just that 'private moments' remain private even when with an ex.

I don't mind, it is all part of who they are.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:47959
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.