Agnostic.com

24 8

LINK The Americans defying Palm Sunday quarantines: "Satan's trying to keep us apart"

"Satan's trying to keep us apart, he's trying to keep us from worshiping together. But we're not going to let him win," Maybe he's depending on that. I stay in. I've ALWAYS stayed in. For good reasons, eh? Your thoughts. Should they be allowed to gather? Should belief override common sense?

IAJO163 8 Apr 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The Darwin awards will be highly competitive this year, it appears...

I think there will have be a MASS Citation Awards system for the year 2020 and possibly for the forseeable future, a single award just will not cover it in the very least.

Let them go to church, the less of them around, the better.

unfortunately their stupidity increases risks exponentially and to those outside their fairytale bubble.

I stand by my original suggestion. Once they are all inside, federal marshals lock the doors and prevent any exit. The folks inside can get the holy spirit to bring in pizza periodically and swap the virus amongst themselves.

OH no, not pizza, they should be praying for 3 loaves of bread and 5 fishes to be miraculously multiplied enough to feed them all, should they not IF they are true believers?

@Triphid OK. I'm willing to give your way a try.

@zeuser Oh and someone to turn water into wine as well of course....LOL

@Triphid Now that's not a bad idea, if someone can consistently pull that off I'd reconsider my own attitudes.

@Triphid Didn't pizza once come with anchovies?

@IAJO163 Yeah, can still a Seafood Supreme pizza over here with anchovies on it.
But i'd much rather have CCTV cameras in the churches and watch them pray for the fishes and bread miracle to happen as they slowly wither and starve away.

Having an imaginary friend is stupid, having an imaginary enemy is utterly insane.

Let them die for all I care!

Everyone should go by the government's restrictions. If they defy the quarantines, they could end up spreading the virus and endangering many lives. THOU SHALT NOT KILL!!!

Seems to me that Satan is trying to keep them alive. Well, that makes sense. In the bible it is their god that does all the killing, not Satan.

I do not think Satan is ever mentioned in the original Christian Bible???

@of-the-mountain Interesting question. In one sense that may be true. In that the original use of satan in the old testament is as a noun, in other words, 'a satan'. Satan being a word which roughly translates as adversary, with perhaps a legal edge, like 'council for the prosecution'.

One of the earliest uses being during the plagues of Egypt, when god sends a 'satan' to deliver the plagues. Notice that 'the' satan is an obedient servant of god. The bible even uses the word to describe King David as a satan to the enemies of Israel. He then evolves through the chapters, becoming gods drinking buddy in Job, helping him to torture Job, until in the end he becomes the tempter of christ in the wilderness, possibly. But that depends on how you translate names, and therefore it could be said, and is said, that there is no satan in the bible because there are many, it being a title not a name.

There is certainly no satan in the garden of eden, the snake is just a talking snake.

Just shows what a lot of inconsistant twadle you are dealing with.

@Fernapple

Satan is not even an angel, a brother, or son of god!!!

Seems like so much written by man it only appears as a form of control over good, not necessarily evil!!!

There has been somewhere around three thousand changes to the so called bible up to the King James translation!!!

LOL!!!

@of-the-mountain The Satan, who shows up in the OT, basically acted as a prosecuting attorney of sorts. It would bring people to the attention of god, such as Job, so they could be tested. It was the Christians who transformed this character into the fallen angel, leader of demons, that this god gave dominion over the earth. This, and original sin, are their way of answering why a good god allows evil. They totally ignore that their god created this Satan and loosed it on the world; so, either way, their god is responsible.

Also, who knows what was originally written and when this character was added. There are no original manuscripts, only copies of copies of copies of copies...

I think once they all get in the building the authority should lock them all in there and keep them there until the pandemic is over or is under control. See what their God does for them then.

I'd lay even money bets that this Sky Daddy of theirs does the usual, which is Sweet F**k All.

Only if they have to all quarantine together until there are no new cases. outside their sacred space.

If Satan is trying to keep people apart shouldn't this God step in and just stop Satan from doing this in the first place? This is my whole issue with religion. If this god exists and is loving and compassionate he should prevent suffering, disease, and numerous other problems that humanity has had to face over the years.

I was taught that god is all powerful soo, he is either retarded or sadistic to allow all the suffering of "his" people on this planet. maybe he's creating another paradise somewhere else in the universe and will check back soon to see how things are coming along here. gonna be surprised.

Religion always musters up enough cognitive dissonance to account for whatever believers want to believe.

@Paul4747 I was told that if dog did this then there would be no free will.

@dalefvictor The paradox is that apparently the devil has free will to do evil, but god has no free will to do prevent it. God should at very least act as a referee and maintain a neutral playing field.

In Terry Pratchett's Good Omens, one of the characters (a demon) reflects that the devil very rarely has to make people do anything. People come up with such inventive things all by themselves. That pretty much sums it up. (If I believed in that kind of thing.) There's no need for the existence of a devil, human beings get up to all kind of mischief out of our own imaginations, and then feel we need to blame it on someone else.

Yes, they can beat their Satan by death through Rapture!!!

Let them cull themselves, then maybe the gene pool might not be so moronically stupid!!!

IT is not common sense at this point. IT is a dangerous and harmful practice and puts vulnerable peoples' lives at risk. But it may prove to be the culling of the religious herd america needed.

There will be non cognizant casualties affected, like children.

The devil made me do it. It was God's will. Which is it? Or is there another choice not seen, but offered by logic? Thoughts?

Oh Hahahaha, quite the optimist, aincha?

@AnneWimsey Gotcha! In this matter, I just hope we all just get through this. I do not want people hurt, but if there are going to hurt people then I hope only those who are too stupid to live are affected.

Many people's belief overrides their common sense. This is another example of god just not knowing how far Satan would go with this.

I would say, If your satan is really like you believe, as your gods enemy, then he would be trying to get you infected not keeping you apart.
I see a problem.....

The best xtion cartoon I have seen published on this issue is a guy saying gaud will protect me, ends up in a hospital bed and asks, why gaud. Then gaud looks down from the sky and says I gave you soap and hand sanitizer and masks.............. A couple ways to look at that, gaud isn't personally keeping you safe, or gaud always provides b.s. like always.

Huddle up, you idiots!

Good on Satan, kudos to him.

In answer to your question, I think it depends on the potential impact on the medical system, if it’s going to result in the effective manslaughter of innocent people following the current medical advice then it should be treated as civil disobedience and treated as such.

As a side note though, this thinking in extremes is so daft, like children being told no. If it’s good it’s God’s work and bad Satan?
Good luck to them if they don’t realise the reality is much more like ying and yang!

They just don't get it.

It would be more comprehensible to them if someone were bombing gatherings, and death was more of a sure thing... but then again probably not. They would still piously say "It's God's will if we live or die," and not exercise the brains their god supposedly gave them.

If there were tigers roaming the street... would they consider that a sign that God wanted them to stay the hell home?

Oh those poor sick-minded, deluded Xrstians, they'll grasp at anything to validate their arcane archaic systems of belief, won't they?

Well, if the they think their god will protect them why not? After a bit we will see who is right on that subject. I think the same about Muslims, let them go to mosque and do their thing. Heck after this is all done we have free prime real estate and we can have something useful built there instead.

Maybe Satan’s having a laugh seeing how many gullible imbeciles will do his job for him!

Nice one Prince Of Darkness. Clever move!

Don’t see Jova making a counter move unless he’s playing a clever gambit we can’t see on close analysis.!

But wait ! Gawd is the only one able to send plagues! Poor Satan gets a bad rap!

@AnneWimsey Bloody well does. The cosmic scapegoat!

Reminds me of Dana Carvey's Church Lady on SNL. Something's amiss? It must be S-A-T-A-N....

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:480561
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.