Agnostic.com

58 10

Does someone have to be college educated to be intelligent?

It certainly can help, but is it a must? I don't think it is a guarantee. I think it depends on your line of work. I can have in-depth philosophical conversations with all of my college counterparts (one's that are very well-versed in a wide array of topics, one's that I do consider intelligent). I have gained general knowledge about many topics through research and reading many books. In other words, I responsibly took matters into my own hands because I never really cared for the structure of our schools. I can outwit plenty of college-educated folks (especially theists), because I noticed that even if they are reasonable with most things, they can be unreasonable with other things (I'm in no way implying that people that are not college educated are more intelligent on average, just that it is possible). I'd like think I have done my best without college. I still have taken several of college workshop classes that are structured differently since I found them to be much more useful in my personal pursuit of knowledge. What do you think?

AustinSkepticus 7 Apr 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

58 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm a college graduate and I think it's a scam. There are different types of intelligence. I also think plenty of people who didn't go to college are intelligent. You can be incredibly intelligent in some aspects and also a lot less knowledgable in other aspects. I'll speak about one of my siblings. One of my brothers is incredibly intelligent in mechanical things, meaning working with his hands and building and fixing stuff. He's not worth a lick in terms of book smarts. Not stupid, but just lacking and also doesn't have the patience for it. He's more of a doer than a thinker. He also used to be a very good artist when he was actually practicing it. He never took it any further and hasn't drawn anything in like 30+ years though.

Like the old saying goes, "Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.". I have a shitload of knowledge, and don't ask me how much a shitload is because I have no clue, but if you asked me to fix a car engine I would come out looking like a moron. Anyone can be made to look like a fool on something. Now, I DO BELIEVE that there are some people who are just plain stupid all around though lol

I think college people might not have as much practical knowledge about general things because they might have less experience with them than a person who started their way in the world earlier instead of being in classrooms. I think college students have knowledge in theory and not in tangible things you can touch, so to speak. A lot of college students might also be somewhat more sheltered. I am less mechanical with building stuff etc., but I have knowledge about a lot of stuff. It's more rare to find people who are both "book smart" and "street smart". I think I'm maybe about 65/35 on that, whereas my brother might be about 10/90.

I think different intelligence can depend upon opportunities like good schooling, but I think it also depends on your aptitude for certain things as well. It can be a combination.

Not to be intelligent but to have knowledge, you could read books and also gain knowledge, college just gives you a title.

While many of my peers were going to college and getting a beer-soaked education that met someone's arbitrary guidelines, I was busy reading and working and actually educating myself with no constraints. I'm more well-rounded than many of my college-educated peers, and they often come to me for help and knowledge. On the other hand, in the field in which their education disposed them, they often have things to teach me.

Well, since I have no college education, I would say of course someone without one could be just as intelligent. My father had no college education, and was one of the smartest, as well as wisest people I have ever met. He read very widely and constantly. I've inheritied many of his books, and he would write in the margins, discussing things with himself. I have tried to read as widely and educate myself as much as I can, and I would like to think I'm almost as smart as he was. A college education is no guantor of intelligence.

Intelligence and a college education are two different things. A college education has no effect upon a person's intelligence.

Well look at Trump and you have your answer from the reverse appoach

EMC2 Level 8 Apr 5, 2018

I have both associate and four-year degrees. I am still taking classes by auditing for free at the university as a senior and also online through udemy.com in both graphics and photography. I admit I'm addicted. I also am addicted to reading and usually have more than one book going. Does this make me smarter than my neighbor? No, it doesn't, it only shows where my interests lie.

There is more than one type of intelligence and innate or common sense is one of the most important. You may have a great education, bought and paid for. But it is how you apply that education that counts. An electrician, someone working in refrigeration, or an It guy or a baker all need to use their knowledge and their education to make it in the world. You cannot quantify intelligence.

no

In my opinion Intelligence is like a muscle, if you don't use it then it just wastes away. College is like a gym for the mind and it also provides the Shiboleths by which the intelligent recognise each other. This is important in later life as when we leave college it provides the support system by which we challenge each other to keep sharp. College is by no means the only way this can happen but without something to replace is all you have is the aptitude, not actual ability.

Also, at the risk of stretching the gym analogy to breaking point - there's people who take out a membership, buy all the kit and learn the lingo yet remain oblivious to their own ineptitude by virtue of never engaging in any form of challenge.

Sounds common sense.?

Emme Level 7 Apr 3, 2018

Another's point of view is Always useful, or at least entertaining!

No...but education helps...

Not all colleges are the same. Not everyone has access to any college at all. Not all education happens in colleges. Intelligence and education are not the same thing. Education is the result of effort. Uneducated intelligence can be very good or very bad. So no. ?

IQ is mostly hereditary, as was proven in identical twin studies, but can be influenced by diet, opportunities, length of nursing time when an infant.

Most great scientists and world changers were either tutored at home, or self-taught, since they couldn't or wouldn't fit in with mindless public school education.

Also, I would imagine the majority of great scientists and world changers throughout history lived before public school was an option.

@marga Not really. Even Amerigo Vespucci was passed over for a university education by his father, so he educated himself and learned with an uncle. Einstein paid a friend to answer during class roll calls, but skipped class because of the outdated and incorrect things being taught at the time.

I believe we are born with specific types of intelligences, if we are educated to enhance that type then it increases intelligence. But just getting required hours to get a degree in something your brain isn't geared for is a waste and does nothing to inteeligence.

Sapiosexual here. Attracted to ones mind and intelligence. Its kind of like book smarts and street smarts. Its better to have both but as long as you seek to educate yourself, you're smart in my opinion. Immerse yourself in the power and beauty of knowledge!

Smarts is a must have trait, in my opinion.

In August, I will be a Freshman in college again. I'm going back to finish what I started. I want my career and I want to be highly educated. I also think that you don't need a college degree to be intelligent.

There is a difference between knowledge and intelligence. One comes from gathering knowledge, the other from thinking critically and logically.

MrHIT Level 5 Apr 2, 2018

I have a girlfriend who only had a GED out of high school. She does read voraciously, and really is pretty self educated. Her son has a PHD from Cornell.

You can be educated and stupid at the same time. Educated and smart are two completely different things. And you would be very surprise to know how many people who are not college educated have higher IQ's than those who did persue higher education. Quote to live by: assumption is the mother of all fuck-ups. I am not knocking higher education (I have two batchelors and a masters) but I have seen my fair share of college educated people who can't fix a flat tire or change the oil in their car, light a fire without a match, teach their child how to swim, teach a dog to sit, read a map, live without TV or a cell phone, remove a broken lightbulb from its socket. Something to think about.

LJ49 Level 4 Apr 2, 2018

No. Many people drop out of college and are still successful.

Not at all.
I have a tested I.Q. of 137 and hold no degrees. I took the classes I needed to accomplish my goals, and succeeded.
My ex has two degrees and is a total failure.

One of my best friends was a software engineer making 200k per year and left it to go back to law school and is now an attorney, and he calls me the smartest guy he knows.
Not bragging, just using as an example.

I have seen it go both ways. I knew someone in the 70's that was completely self trained machinist that made all kinds of things for the rail road. I have also seen teams of ivy league schooled experts who read trendy magazines come into several companies and run them into the ground. It often comes down to barriers that person was not able to overcome but learned anyway vs a person who has so many resources that no barrier can prevent him from attaining a position he is completely unable to handle and immune to any blame for their mistakes.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:48822
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.