Agnostic.com

20 11

LINK Ignoring COVID Order, Massachusetts Church Takes “A Stand for the Lord” | Terry Firma | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

It seems whenever a church leader prays, he always gets confirmation to do what he already decided to do anyways.

This isn't unique to Christianity. Mohamed's writings showed god changed his mind as Mohamed's personal desires changed.

snytiger6 9 Apr 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

One can make an argument that people should have the liberties to do what they want. But it doesn't mean we can't use our reason to rightfully complain about their actions and how it will impact the community and other people who don't want to get sick. Thanks for sharing.

Oh really ?

The orders are illegal anyhow. Hopefully they all have strong immune systems.

A difference in opinion is no reason to wish death on people.

Some of these posts are embarrassing. Just shows how petty and childish some of you are.

SCal Level 7 Apr 29, 2020

Lighten up, Francis.

@KKGator okay, gator. You got me.

@SeaGreenEyez Is that what you have concluded? I would suggest you wait a bit longer. The court of claims is not the final arbiter. Decisions made at that level are quite often overturned on appeal.

If you're looking for information that fits your viewpoint, and then stop when you find one source, you could be mislead.

"The mayor of Louisville, Kentucky, tried to stop a church's drive-in Easter service, but on Saturday a federal judge issued a temporary restraining order overturning that effort."

The federal level has already found merit to overturn the state level at least once; which sets precedent across states.

@SeaGreenEyez I can tell you read my retort with disagreement in mind.

You say I cited Kentucky, but in reality it was a FEDERAL (capitalized because you obviously missed it the first time) case. The state is immaterial in a federal case, in case you did not know that. Federal case rulings create what is called stare decisis for all lower courts in all similar cases. Its clear you do not know how that works. You're welcome for the education.

I do not care if you name call me (trumpian). It just shows how weak your comprehension is on the matter that you have to go there. But fyi, i do not support or pay attention to trump or any president, because they do not impact my life or actions.

There are a lot of lawsuits filed right now about this very matter. I believe many people and churches are going to get paid. We will see.

As far as the orders being illegal. You are techinally correct. Executive orders apply to the executive branch, NOT to the people who are under no obligation to follow orders that violate the peoples rights protected by state and federal constitutions. Those orders DO apply to executive branch employees. But if those exec employees create rights violations in the process of enforcing those orders, recourse is theres for the people in the federal courts, as illustrated above.

That federal order was just the first step.

You are way off base here. The proper move is an emergency meeting and the enacting of a bill, which in turn, becomes a law. Exec orders are a dead give away that they know they do not have authority to do a certain thing, so they do the order and get the media to blast it to fool the uninformed. People such as yourself.

@SeaGreenEyez Sure thing, KAREN.

@SeaGreenEyez And by the way, I do not take gubment hand outs.

That's for your ilk.

Presumptuous, much?

Maybe it should be worded, Take a fall for the Lord.

Every single person who shows up should have to sign a legal document stating
that if they contract COVID19, they will forego all medical treatment, and let their
god heal them.
In addition, if they infect anyone else, they have to cover all that person's medical
expenses, as well as those of anyone else who gets infected due to their malfeasance.

I couldn’t finish it...that Biblical crap kept getting in the way! This is more like terrorists...only these terrorist have their book of proof to prop up their insanity!

Two comments. George Carlin- What? Are you XXckin stupid??

Shows that that the evolution of the human race has not risen above that of primordial slime!!

Well some of us have but the remainder seems to be ever so content with sucking it from the bottom of the sludge pond.

Idiots

bobwjr Level 10 Apr 28, 2020

Darwin, please let these morons continue proving you right!

Well going by my quick scan through the article then America is not out of Covid-19 woods yet by any means since 1 lone infected person or carrier can pass on/infect at least 3 others, those 3 can infect 3 more and so on the infection rate grows exponentially.
So, given that infection scenario, 50 attendees can now means they have infected 150+ more victims, then they triple the infected again and so on and so forth ALL because some self-serving, self-righteous, money-grubbing, Pulpit-pounding, fuck-wit of a Preacher decides to flout the rules of Social Distancing and Self-Isolation solely for his OWN fiscal benefits.
Of course his Great, Invisible and totally Imaginary Sky Daddy would agree with him, after all has ANYONE ever heard a ceiling, their hands or a floor actually talk to them.
Bloody Scum like him richly deserve to be tarred, feathered and run out of town chased by a pack of rabid dogs in my opinion.

Yes, not unique to Christianity. I would naturally assume that "taking a stand for the lord" is simply because the lord is not able to stand for himself.

The Lord not being to stand for himself ... might this come from the Lord drinking too much "falling down water"?

Fine by me. Natural selection at work

Yes, but it is the innocent 'collateral' damage that comes with it that concerns me.

The problem is the idiots spread the disease to everyone else.

It seems from previous reports when ever a pastor prays he gets the plague and dies!

Something not working here. Can’t imagine what that could be!

Do such people have functional brians? Do such people even have any brains?

@anglophone They do, but they choose not to use them all that often.

Just a variation of a con job. It's a shame there isn't more enlightened people in the 🌎.

I hope that all of those religious jackasses get what they want, a premature resurrection, and there by cleaning up the gene pool.

I hope they arrest him or better yet fine the bejesus out of him.

God is fickle, frequently changing his mind. Instead of omniscience this god, whom many worship today, is infinitely capricious!

do it, entitlement is a source of stupidity. Religion is above laws of life

Oh well.

I just came back from picking up supplies, and noticed new signs cropping up in people's yards that say : "Faith over Fear".

Yeah ! Scare that devil Covid right outta here ! Sure. Right.

They clearly aren't familiar with their Bibles! Love is the only substitute for fear.
"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love." 1 John 4:18 (KJV)

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:490226
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.