Agnostic.com

18 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That may be the case, but they are still the super majority, and that scares the shit out of me.

[theguardian.com]

Still a long way to go to match the UK. We can now be classified as a secular country

At last?, the world is waking up to and realising the falsehood that is in religions narrative

i love it, just love it. We need more of it, especially you in the US having to put up with those religious nutters.

Other countries have gone through a similar shift where a major share of residents lose their allegiance. Maybe Covid will speed it up a bit too.

Many people will worry that the loss of declared affiliation will mean a rise in immorality. The unswerving allegiance of the Evangelicals to Trump proves they refuse to be offended by the most vile, degenerate and corrupt politician in American history. So much for Christian morality! The loyalty of each Evangelical to Trump proves they will ditch the morality their religion teaches; and then enact fawning fealty to a personalty cult. Gross!! And they are proud to be deplorable! They embrace the term. Eff'd up!

No one expects Christianity to go away. But, in a millennium, perhaps Jesus will join Wotan, Zeus and Horus. Granted, something just as silly would likely replace it. And then there's Islam, Hinduism, etc. Perhaps humans will advance and fix whatever flaw it is that allows unlimited belief. Or, we might even learn a Truth.

In the meantime, we should continue our efforts to support science education and critical thinking.

It can't crash fast enough which it needs to do ASAP.

I'd like to see the data for Americans 30 and under.

BD66 Level 8 May 2, 2020

Still WAY too high.

BD66 Level 8 May 2, 2020

While the drop off in church is encouraging, there are still a lot of Americans who call themselves xtion while never reading the bibly, etc. Ones like donny tRump who still weaponize it and act like asses.

That curve is certainly non-linar. That means the eate of decline in religious belief is speeding up. However, it still has a long time to go before dropping to 50% of the population, at which point open Atheism becomes normal.

Hmmmm

While this does reflect American sentiments, in third world countries where the internet is limited religion is actually growing in particular Islam.

You perfectly captured the picture
Even with perfect social media coverage and networking, it will be supremely difficult, if not impossible to change views in African countries.

Saddest thing is, not even the so called the men and women of god, are able to eloquently cite anything authentic, about their entrenched beliefs. Nothing has changed for them in the last 2000 years.

Sad, so so sad

@1979Emm Very, vvery sad indeed. I do have much hope that that will change drastically in the next 20 years.

I can imagine over a hundred years ago. About 98% of Americans were Christians.

Today the fastest growing group are non believers.

Mixed feelings on this. Would not at all miss politically/socially conservative groups and megachurches that fleece their “flocks” while instilling guilt and superstition and spouting racism, sexism, xenophobia, etc.; but also remember standing in the trenches shoulder to shoulder with Unitarians, members of the American Friends Service Committee and others in opposition to war and injustice or to get food to folks who were going hungry.

Also, what about “disorganized” religion: the myriad forms of still harmful, anti-rational superstitions and “spiritualities” out there that all too often give cover to charlatans and greedy con artists not unlike the “clergy” they replace?

I like your comment.
I was a Catholic for 20 years. The biggest religion, with the most money, and, even though I have not closely examined their books, I would suppose that millions of folks get some critical help, from some of that money.
To say that organized religion is all bad, would seem ignorant to me.
I wish we could set up an atheist organization, with lots of money, and make sure that 100% of the money goes to help those who are truly in need. That is possible, if those who organize all of it, are folks with regular jobs, outside of the managing of the charity. That way, nobody would be paid to manage the charity.

It's encouraging in that it's a steady motion confirmed by different data sources (I don't know entirely how independent they are). And it's data over a fairly long time by social scales -- 50 to 100 years. The data at least looks legitimate.
At the same time, as they note in the link it is discouraging that the numbers aren't headed to zero. They're only headed towards ~75%. The graph kind of makes look stronger than it is. Ha, ha.

I like the trend but I'm afraid I won't live long enough to see the end I'd really like.😎
Thanks for the link.😀

Thry are independent studies by different organizations that may not even be aware that the others exist. They were compared by Pew.

This is great. Lets hope it continues. The reality of what they really are is being understood by many of their subjects. I hope it continues...

I know more people who do not go to church but consider themself a Christian than people going to church.

Just because they don't believe in organized religion, does not make them an atheist.

My hope is that they are not contributing financially to any organized religion... Them bastards got more than enough money already.

@HippieChick58 That I can agree with.

I have said before that abandoning religion and religious institutions does not necessarily mean abandoning god.

Yep, that's the tricky thing about polls like this. Superstitions can definitely still persist without somebody else's window-dressing on it. Often colored as a generic "spirituality" or such.

@Observer-Effect Yep!

That's encouraging.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:491711
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.