Agnostic.com

22 13

LINK More than 12,000 Catholic churches in the U.S. applied for PPP loans – and 9,000 got them

This should not be happening. Churches are not classified as businesses. They are tax exempt. They should not get access to that money.

snytiger6 9 May 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

All those catholic churches need their tax exempt taken away.

Taxation time.....they deserve it....long ago...

I re-post your words here because it sums this up perfectly and very nicely.

This should not be happening. Churches are not classified as businesses. They are tax exempt. They should not get access to that money.

That's what I thought. The next administration should tax them now that they are a business. We are moving closer to Fascism by doing this.

This is ridiculous!

WTF, people are going hungry AND the Churches get hand-outs they don't need anyway, where the F**K is the Social Justice?

In those prosperity evangelical churches those private jets and cadillacs don't just buy themselves, hee hee...

@TomMcGiverin Well you can't expect those 'Men of God' to go around in off the peg suits and shoes, travel by PUBLIC Transport AND reside in plain ORDINARY, Common type houses now can you?

Let the churches fail! They are scams!

They should have to give it all back, with interest.
They never should have received a dime.

I cannot even begin to express just how angry this makes me.

Just goes to show that prayer will not pay the bills

How are the Priests supposed to molest children if they go Bankrupt and have to close ? smh

It doesn't surprise me. Suckers.

As if they don't have enough of money.

Is there really a justification. They claim that these churches are like small businesses, so why aren't they paying taxes?
Another point in the argument was that these 'small churches' aren't backed by the federal govt, which is true, but they are backed by a very large and very rich organisation, no not the Cosa Nostra or the Caamora, but their religious HQ, regardless of their flavour.
Sad to say it's all within the letter of the law, but I'm pretty sure, not the 'spirit'.

Just another sign the system is broken and maybe Atheists should be running the country,

Since they don't pay taxes, they should NOT get the money.

It should not be happening, quite so. I went through 13 years of Catholic education as a strong atheist. (In science we should always leave the door open.) The local high school was no place for an intellectual and polymath.

The brothers taught us straightaway that we don't have to pay taxes because we help relieve the burden of educating so many kids. We save the system millions. I was in the class of 1962.

At the time, as a teenager I thought that's all right, that makes sense. But the Catholic leaders had another card to play. They get to choose who gets to be the next generation of political leaders. I used to sit next to Rudy Giuliani and considered him of average intelligence for a kid admitted to a school for the gifted. He was terrible in science as most of the members of Congress are. So, the point is the Church is stacking the government with people compatible with their wacky views. Rudy came close to becoming president while I was limited to low paying jobs. I had Ds in religion class throughput high school.

I wrote a book on it with the subtitle: A National Problem

Source:

The rat race is self perpetuating. The merry-go-round is already starting back up. I wish it was not true but there is no stopping point for too many of us.

Good post. I'm writing my response to it right now . Check my posts.

What is the interest on the loans?

I'm embarrassed to say that the Unitarian Church that I am a nominal member of got one of those loans. They really did need the money as many of their members are unemployed and/or retired on small fixed incomes or otherwise employed in low wage jobs. As a result, about a fifth of their members did not return pledge forms for this year's pledge drive and the church was short about 70K on what they hoped to raise for the next year. To their credit, they are keeping all their staff on the payroll even tho they quit holding services and programming in person and they also provide fair benefits to their staff as well as good pay for a church.

The church is a tax exempt non-profit the same as the United Way, for example.

Not a cent. B.S. asses.

. . . this is a dupe of :

"[cbsnews."

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:493818
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.