Agnostic.com

62 11

Prostitution, how do you feel about it?

Should prostitution be legalized in your state? It's legal in some of the country's I've been to. Would it be a quick fix for those lonely people out there that can't seem to find a date or lover? Would it be such a problem in your mind to see others benefit from this service? Is it one of those unspeakable things that should be secretive? Do you think you would appreciate a date with a male or female stripper? Why not be happy one night a month? Just asking because there's no god to punish you. Is it ugly to you?

BucketlistBob 8 Apr 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

62 comments (51 - 62)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If I thought I could make some money at it, I would do it.

In a 'free market,' selling your time and energy is sort of expected of you. It's more than a right, it's an obligation. A person who goes to bed to work is just the same as the person punching in at a factory and it should be regulated with health and safety rules and permitted widely. Not permitted... Freed from restrictions.
Banning it just forces sex workers to work with organized crime, which, like megacorps, branch out and force their employees into a hundred unrelated things. Like drugs and slavery.

Why not get rid of the pimps and with our unjust capitalistic culture how else at times can ends meet, and what if you just love sex?

I don't require the services of a prostitute, but why not? It would do a lot more to keep the street workers safe.

I completely think it should be legalized. But sadly, government can’t tax it and religion has turned sex into some horrible thing that should only be done between married people. Because then it’s holy and clean. But only as long as it’s missionary. Because oral sex is some how less clean than just vaginal.

Didn’t mean to rant. To simply answer your question, yes. I feel that prostitution should be legalized and less demonized.

Interesting article on this subject. [theverge.com]

Hmmm...

If someone wants to pay for sex, that should be on them. I'm more than willing to accept money for sex.

Dion Level 2 Apr 7, 2018

I feel fine about it. As long as it's consensual, people aren't owned, the sex is safe etc etc. And even the government could get their taxes lol

It should be made legal and regulated.

Found this to be interesting. For such a divisive activity, not sure how accurate the numbers are. But still gives at least a snapshot of the usage of paid sex workers in several countries.
[prostitution.procon.org]

Heck yes! Bring it on! Make MALE prostitutes legal? Why the hell not. Bare naked guys in G-strings, biceps and quads glistening. Oh, baby! I'm sure guys would understand another guys' need to sell his own body. Guys are great empathizers. What guy in his right mind would have a problem with a woman paying a man for sex? Women sure get lonely sometimes. Men sure wouldn't mind their wives and girlfriends or daughters paying a strange guy for sex.

Should I go on? Is it kind of a different picture when the prostitutes are men and not women? I'm no prude. But to buy and sell something intimate like sex, to put a price on sex...that's warped.

I actually agree with your statement. It should be legalized for all possibilities. I understand that's not the point you're trying to make though

Why is it warped? Wife and daughter and girlfriend's buying sex is equality. Sons and fathers and boyfriend's do it.

@BucketlistBob cool, then, you are one of the Enlightened Few. But, most men that promote prostitution think in terms of their own pleasure, women pleasuring them. And don't even tell me I'm wrong. We all know that's true. Prostitution is gender biased.
I'd forgotten about Canada's approach of 'Sex Workers' which takes a less exploitative and more professional, more equal approach to selling ones body. In theory, it makes sense to me, I haven't researched whether it works in practice.
So, I am against prostitution and would consider, with more information, the Canadian system of 'Sex Workers'.

@IamNobody thank you. I don't know what point I'm trying to make so I have to work that through because this issue matters. Like many women and many men, I recoil at the whole notion of prostitution. It is exploitation of women. It's insulting and biased and to see it any other way, it's self serving, it's men serving themselves, thinking of their own needs. HOWEVER, give it a job description, protection for the workers (men and women and the spectrum, btw), equal access to both sexes, remove the stigma of women as sexual OBJECTS, that I CAN get behind. The funny thing is, I think DEobjectifying women is precisely what messes with the minds of guys who support legalization of prostitution. Men that support prostitution (huge generalization and apologies to men who don't fall into this category) are for it because they LIKE women as sexual OBJECTS.

@CrazyCurlz .. I hear you and don't disagree. We are just talking about two different things. My only point is, I want the government out of the picture where two consenting adults are enjoying themselves behind closed doors. Of course this is a complex issue, just wanted to clarify that my approach has nothing to do with the objectification of women. There are male prostitutes and women who like them. It is a two way street (agree with you, there is more traffic one way than the other probably for the reasons you have explained and once again, as far as legalization, that's another discussion). Lets keep the talk open, shall we?

@IamNobody thanks for clarifying on all points! Yes, to keeping the talk open!

I think that prostitution is a necessary evil. It has been around a long time but I am not in favour of women being trafficked or forced into it. The law in England is a mess, hypocrisy rules.

That is of course at least part of the problem. When you make something that people want (and I dare say, need) illegal, it opens the door to criminals stepping in to fill the need. And just as corporations hire undocumented workers because they can abuse them, so do criminal enterprises. The world is full of women looking for a way out of their situations and the criminals have the connections to abuse them. This should not happen, and even in countries with legal prostitution it does, but to a lesser degree. Women who wish to sell their service should be allowed and regulated as every other worker (strippers, groomers, beauticians, welders etc.) and traffickers should be hunted down and locked up like the scum they are.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:49818
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.